UE2 - UT2kX Path Nodes and JumpSpots Show,but do not build a network

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nyagrill

Dec 16, 2008
This is the first time I've encountered this type of bot pathing issue.I've pathed many levels and it's fairly simple stuff,but this one has me helpless.Any input whatsoever would be appreciated.

The path node,lift centers and exits,jump pads and spots,etc were all working perfectly fine for weeks now thru many builds and saves.

AFTER PATHING was deemed complete a few other little projects were done.

BSP-NO BSP was changed except an additive sheet or two as a poster on the wall.

Zones-All zones were completed prior to pathing.They were all airtight and showing correctly in game and UED.

AntiPortals-I did install a few of these after pathing.When checked in game and UED seemed to be doing their job correctly also.(Throwing out whats behind them).

At some point in time during a few builds I lost all my pathing.My jumpads have no destination,even though their properties list the correct node or jumpspot destination. Weird right?

Furthermore if I right click ANYWHERE and select "Add Path Node,PlayerStart,JumpSpot Here" it does absolutely NOTHING. Again -WTF?

I have several years in UED and I still run into the "OMGWTF is going on moments". Please help.I am seriously clueless at this point.

On the map error check I now have hundreds of nodes that cannot find paths,even though spaced correctly and not touching any BSP.

Normally I disregard that error list until the end.I wish now I hadn't so I could pinpoint what I was working on at the time things went to hell.

Thanks for your time.

nyagrill

Dec 16, 2008
What exactly do you mean?

To force the jump pad to take u to a specified pathnode or jumpspot instead of just bouncing u up and down.

i.e. I have jumppad 3's "forced destination" set to jumpspot 6 or jumppad 2 goes to path node 6.

They were working fine for weeks.During one of my recent builds they went to crap.Now they just bounce u straight up and down,like they are not accepting my forced path destination.

The jump pad properties say go to here,but it doesn't work anymore.I have been done with jump pads long ago and that's what baffles me.They currently don't work even though they have worked flawlessly since their completion a month ago and the "forced destination" is correctly filled in.

could we see that error list please :)

One pic is of a main arena with pathing working on an old version of the map.
The other pic is the same map,newer(problem) version,and the paths are nothing more than a fruit trail.Some path nodes work fine for some reason,but most did not.WTF?I havent moved one jumppad,jumpspot,and node in weeks.

I would gladly repath it all,but in the newer (problem) version ONLY,now I cannot add any player start,jumpspot,or path node with a right click like I normally would.

I've tried copying and pasting ALL ACTORS into a brand new level under a new name and it does the same thing.I open any other map and my r click features are there to use (player start,path node,etc.)So I guess its definitely in the map,but what would take away my "add path node here" ability?Why does my network not connect up or do what it's supposed to do?

I can go back to an old working version,but that means losing alot of work,but it looks like I may have no other options.

Wormbo u said possibly a BSP hole-wouldn't that show up somehow though in game visually.I mean in UED's zone/portal view all of my zones are different colors leading me to believe they are right.In game I see no BSP errors flashing,popping,HOM,etc.The framerates are fine too.

Thanks for any efforts guys.

Attachments

• oldversionpathshot.JPG
    oldversionpathshot.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 12
  • newversionpathshot.JPG
    newversionpathshot.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 11
  • mapcheck.JPG
    mapcheck.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
As far as I can see, only paths that don't require any checks have been built, i.e. forced paths and those between Teleporters. Can you walk and shoot correctly in the level?

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Did you rebuild all paths or just the changed ones? Make sure you haven't checked 'always build changed paths' (or something like that...) in the Build Options window...

For the wrong destinations... Make sure they are still correct. Names of NavigationPoints change when you duplicate them, and you have to set their ForcedDestinations again and delete the destinations of the duplicated ones. You could also delete those jumpads+pathnodes and place them again...

I heard the right click menu may not work properly when you have antialiasing turned on. Noticed this problem several times too, but it usually was because of a huge grid as Wormbo has pointed... ;)

nyagrill

Dec 16, 2008
Oh, I also recommend having a look at the log window after a failed attempt to place a pathnode. It should give a reason why spawning the pathnode failed.

The log just says "could not place here-could not fit."

Anyway I found the problem.U were correct,but how I don't know.

During one of my builds a 512ish x 512ish subtractive cube appeared that I had no idea was there because that area had been done for many weeks.

I know all 500+ brushes that went into it because I put them there,but that definitely JUST APPEARED.I especially know this because it's floating in mid air making 2 subtractive brushes overlap bigtime.The brush was even turned at a 45 degree angle.No way I'd ever mess up that bad.

I do not know how it got there,however a severe BSP error was indeed the problem even though in game it seemed to play ok visually and even the zones were tight.I finally started believing you when I spawned to death a few times.

So I had to look over a ton of brushes because UED really gave me nothing as to the location of the problem(with my skills anyway).

Wanted to explain to possibly help someone down the road because to me,it was really weird and I knows I did not subtract that brush. :lol:

Thanks for everyone's help.You guys really saved me some time.