PDA

View Full Version : skybox

brock91
11th Nov 1999, 06:43 PM
I have made a skybox and finally got one that I am happy with. I am curious as to how to make it so that when you shoot at the ceiling, your blast doesn't hit an invisible wall on the ceiling. I have looked around and can't find anything on it. I have looked at the original maps and don't notice anything different from what I am doing. It may sound cheesy but it bugs me bad. Any help is appreciated.

Jenkins
11th Nov 1999, 09:43 PM
Well first of all, I should say it's extremely simple. Say you have a room, with a window on the ceiling and a box on top of that in which all the sides are Fakebackdrops, lets call it the "sky box". Simply place a sheet between the "sky box" and room, inside the window. Make the sheet a zone portal. Go to the classes:info:zoneinfo:cloudzoneinfo. Now, when you shoot through the window, the bullet (or whatever) disappears!! Simple, eh?!

________

Jenkins

-Or I could've just said use a CloudZoneInfo right?! =)

brock91
11th Nov 1999, 11:51 PM
Thanks,

I am going to try it now.

Wanderer
12th Nov 1999, 10:15 AM
I'm curious as to what kind of effects this does to CPU usage. I remember reading that large ZonePortals can cause unwanted performance drain. Then again this is just speculation.

brock91
12th Nov 1999, 10:26 AM
Well I tried it and it worked. I'm surprised that I haven't seen this anywhere else before. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places. I put it in and I haven't noticed any real drain. My level isn't that big right now. I only have it set up as a skylight though. It might have some effect if it was used as an outside area.