PDA

View Full Version : UT2004.ini critical sections (D3D), changes?

SkaarjMaster
7th Jun 2009, 10:16 PM
Here are my critical sections of the UT2004.ini. Anyone have any suggestions for changes? I'm running with a fairly recent system in 5.1 surround and right now in AA2X/AF4X.

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
WindowedViewportX=1280
WindowedViewportY=960
FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1200
MenuViewportX=1024
MenuViewportY=768
Brightness=0.800000
Contrast=0.700000
Gamma=0.800000
UseJoystick=False
CaptureMouse=True
StartupFullscreen=True
ScreenFlashes=True
NoLighting=False
MinDesiredFrameRate=20.000000
AnimMeshDynamicLOD=0.000000
Decals=True
Coronas=True
DecoLayers=True
Projectors=True
NoDynamicLights=False
ReportDynamicUploads=False
TextureDetailInterface=UltraHigh
TextureDetailTerrain=UltraHigh
TextureDetailWeaponSkin=UltraHigh
TextureDetailPlayerSkin=UltraHigh
TextureDetailWorld=UltraHigh
TextureDetailRenderMap=UltraHigh
TextureDetailLightmap=UltraHigh
NoFractalAnim=False
ScaleHUDX=0.000000
MouseXMultiplier=1.000000
MouseYMultiplier=1.000000
UseSpeechRecognition=True
WeatherEffects=True
DrawDistanceLOD=1.000000

[ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
UseEAX=True
Use3DSound=True
UseDefaultDriver=True
CompatibilityMode=False
MaxEAXVersion=255
UsePrecache=True
ReverseStereo=False
Channels=64
MusicVolume=0.300000
AmbientVolume=0.500000
SoundVolume=0.500000
VoiceVolume=4.000000
VolumeScaleRec=0.100000
DopplerFactor=1.000000
Rolloff=0.500000
TimeBetweenHWUpdates=15.000000
DisablePitch=False
LowQualitySound=False
UseVoIP=True
UseVAD=False
UseSpatializedVoice=False
SpatializedVoiceRadius=100000.000000
EnhancedDenoiser=False
LocalZOffset=0.000000

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
HighDetailActors=True
SuperHighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=False
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=False
UseTripleBuffering=False
UseHardwareTL=True
UseHardwareVS=True
UseCubemaps=True
DesiredRefreshRate=60
UseCompressedLightmaps=False
UseStencil=False
Use16bit=False
Use16bitTextures=False
MaxPixelShaderVersion=255
UseVSync=False
LevelOfAnisotropy=16
DetailTexMipBias=0.000000
DefaultTexMipBias=-0.500000
UseNPatches=False
TesselationFactor=1.000000
CheckForOverflow=False
AvoidHitches=False
OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=False
ReportUnusedTextures=False
DecompressTextures=False
TerrainLOD=0
SkyboxHack=False
LowQualityTerrain=False

Edited based on latest suggestions and benchmarks when they are run; all that's left now is figuring out AA (in Nvidia CP) and AF (here) settings!

Thank you,
SkaarjMaster:)

Dark Pulse
8th Jun 2009, 12:30 AM
Here are my critical sections of the UT2004.ini. Anyone have any suggestions for changes? I'm running with a fairly recent system in 5.1 surround and right now in AA2X/AF4X.Certainly.

First of all, I'd recommend 16x AF. AF doesn't take too much video power, especially if you have a good videocard.

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
TextureDetailInterface=Higher <-- Set this to VeryHigh. Mostly a pointless tweak, but your menus might look a bit nicer.

ScaleHUDX=0.000000 <-- If you think your HUD is a bit too small, this might magnify it.

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
UsePrecaching=False <-- Recommended to true to reduce stutters. The map might take a few more seconds to load.

ReduceMouseLag=False <-- You can try setting this to true if mouse aim feels a bit "off."

GreatEmerald
8th Jun 2009, 07:10 AM
TextureDetailInterface=Higher <-- Set this to VeryHigh. Mostly a pointless tweak, but your menus might look a bit nicer.

ReduceMouseLag=False <-- You can try setting this to true if mouse aim feels a bit "off."

Not only that, but you will also get the "Holy S***!" announcement when you go to the options ;)

I believe the "reduce mouse lag" is only for menus. And the only way that would increase mouse responsiveness that I know of is disabling triple buffering (and that is not recommended for VSync). Yet there's an option UseTripleBuffering...

SkaarjMaster
8th Jun 2009, 08:55 AM
I was wondering about setting all the texture details to Very High (I'll go ahead and do this tonight). 16X AF sounds like a good idea and I've heard a few people setting their games this high, but I always hesitated. I'll do some benchmarks and see what kind of hit it takes. Should I just leave the AA at 2X for now (configured in Nvidia CP of course)?

I'll leave the rest of the settings as is unless I notice something in-game.:)

GreatEmerald
8th Jun 2009, 09:21 AM
If you're looking for a good benchmark map, I'd say go to ONS-Dawn. For me, it gives the most noticeable impact to FPS and the difference is very big between outdoor areas and bases.

SkaarjMaster
8th Jun 2009, 10:08 AM
Another good one is DM-Forbidden.........I'll run both of them.:)

SkaarjMaster
8th Jun 2009, 10:07 PM
I'll mess around and see what I get. Does UMark2004 run whatever setting you have it at or do you have to set it inside the program?

I set the TextureDetailInterface=VeryHigh and none of my menu settings changed. Right now (in GUI) I have:

Texture Detail >> Very High (goes up to Highest)
Character Detail >> Very High (goes up to Highest)
World Detail >> High (this is the highest setting for this one)
Physics Detail >> Normal (goes up to High)
Dynamic Mesh LOD >> High (goes up to Highest)
Decal Stay >> Normal (goes up to High)

Not really sure which ones correspond to which INI commands, but what do you guys have them set at?

Dark Pulse
9th Jun 2009, 03:45 AM
If you got a good system, crank those all up to as high as they'll go. :p

Also, if you're playing at 1920, you probably really don't need more than 2xAA unless you're an absolute nut about Jaggies. Of course, if you are and you feel your framerates are still high enough, feel free to up it.

God, I find the HUD too large even at the minimum possible in-game setting (I'm assuming that's 0.000000). But then you are using a reasonably high res on a 23" display - Skaarjmaster and I are only running 1920x1200 stretched on to a 24" panel.

Is it possible to reduce the HUD size below the minimum in-game setting? (Will negative values work?)Feel free to try it. If it don't work or makes stuff goofy, you can always reset it, after all.

GreatEmerald
9th Jun 2009, 06:09 AM
Oh hey, Preferences are still supported in UT2004? Neat!

SkaarjMaster
9th Jun 2009, 07:22 PM
Holy Moly! I never knew UT2003 and UT2004 had the preferences thing. I'm checking that now.:)

Um, I found this comments somewhere for UT2004:
"Preferences Opens advanced settings (Disabled in Retail Game)"
Is this correct?

Nevermind, I found the preferences in UT2004 and UT2003. UT2003 pops up in front of the screen and UT2004 in the back (it was hidden and I didn't see it); both make the console smaller than the game interface.

EDIT: Anyone know WTF is up with UMark (running from System subd)? I tried to benchmark and then realized that current settings may not be my settings with the UT2004.ini. So I used the custom INI and User INI settings and picked the files from UT2004 and it gives me the following message:

"Your CD key appears to be invalid. You will need to reinstall the game and enter your CD key to fix this problem"

Am I missing the boat on benchmarking? I just thought I'd use UMark.....what is the f-ing problem?:(

SkaarjMaster
9th Jun 2009, 09:25 PM
I just wanted to get some comparable benchmark numbers for various settings of AF and AA before I settled on my settings.:(

OK, here's the ultimate UT2004 framerate killer!
DM-2019-XS-2006:)
(try jumping off the roof; also bring the UT2003 DM-2019 version into UT2004)

Also, I changed my sounds channels from 32 to 64 (I have an Audigy2) and it works for UT2004 but UT2003 stops at 31 channels in-game. Hmmmmmmm....

SkaarjMaster
9th Jun 2009, 09:59 PM
UseDefaultDriver=True for both games

I tried changing it to False for UT2003 and the channels still stop at 31, whatever.

My C:\Windows\System32\OpenAL32.dll file is 152KB (2-23-04, 3:08PM) on new system and old system (both have Audigy2 cards). The DefOpenAL32.dll files from UT2003 and UT2004 on new system both are 156KB (UT2004 has date of 6-2-06, 3:10PM). I'm using slightly older Audigy2 drivers (10-18-04, version 5.12.2.444) because I tried installing the latest from 2005 or 2006 and they would not install correctly. I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

EDIT: as far as benchmarking, I forgot to try inserting the DVD in the drive because maybe that's why I'm getting the CD key error. If this doesn't work, maybe I'll just run FRAPS or something.

SkaarjMaster
11th Jun 2009, 11:10 AM
Tried with the disc in the drive and changed the cd drive to check in the UT2004.ini and still giving me the same CD key error. I know the key is valid because I've already tried online.

Is there anyway to benchmark UT2004 for consistency and repeatability changing AA and AF settings so a comparison can be made? Can FRAPS do this or older versions of FRAPS? I would like to have comparable numbers to make a good decision on what to leave the AA/AF settings at for this game.

Also, here's an interesting thread about AA and 8xQ/16xQ:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=215591

Another interesting comment:
"just beat fear 2 other night.. game looked really nice at 8q- this stuff with the shadows sounds interesting- but I found if you force 8q aa 16x af and turn off the texture filtering optimizations in control panel, hardware clamp, quality, multisample, and don't use threaded optimization, vsync on with triple buffering, gamma correction on.. games look amazing and immersive compared to 4x aa default everything most peeps run.. tomb raider underworld is a perfect example of the 8q ownage- same as mass effect.. witcher even looks sick and can handle the 16q on a 200 series.. it's really the difference between looking at the game and saying nice textures and 'holy $#%', nice when what your seeing is what you built the thing for"

Also, some "light" reading in this thread:
http://www.velocitymicro.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-12988.html

OK, last one:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYyNSw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

hyrulian
11th Jun 2009, 11:58 AM
Tried with the disc in the drive and changed the cd drive to check in the UT2004.ini and still giving me the same CD key error. I know the key is valid because I've already tried online.

Seems like the UT2k4 registry information (which contains the CD-Key) is missing or messed up. Although, I find it interesting that you can play online normally...

Try using UT2kx Regcheck (you can download it from http://www.supernature-clan.de/downloads.php?info=1&uid=40) to restore the information back into your registry and see if that helps.

GreatEmerald
11th Jun 2009, 02:28 PM
UT2004 is known for misbehaving like that. It just won't run, even though registry data is OK. I'm not sure, but some people say that it works if you rename the executable... Though guess UMark won't be of any use then.

SkaarjMaster
11th Jun 2009, 10:18 PM
I'll probably just run FRAPS. Any pointers on which version and settings that aren't obvious? I haven't used this in ages.

OK, that clears up the blur issue with 8xQ?;) So let's say I decide to set games to 8xQ AA and 16X AF, what do I want the other Nvidia control panel settings to be? I asked for some initial settings in another thread, but I was just wondering about that guys comments in that Fear2 snippet I posted earlier.

That reminds me, I might change all my games to MinDesiredFrameRate=20 (or equivalent command if possible).

Dark Pulse
12th Jun 2009, 09:16 AM
If you got an nVidia card, you really should download nHancer (http://www.nhancer.com/). It makes things a lot easier.

SkaarjMaster
12th Jun 2009, 09:44 AM
I was going to wait until I have all my games installed and configured (w/ the Nvidia CP profiles), then backup/image that partition, then try nHancer or whatever; all this has been taking a while with a 4-year old to deal with in the house, otherwise, I would have finished a long time ago.;)

Right now, I have 4 more games left to install and configure (Doom3, Quake4, UT3 and GRID); obviously, UT3 will take the longest.:)

SkaarjMaster
12th Jun 2009, 03:08 PM
The only thing different besides the degree of AA or AF (AF being set in the game I'm guessing you have it at 16X) is I have Force Mipmaps at Trilinear with it enabled in the game (UT2004), Negative LOD Bias is set to Allow just in case (but all my installed games right now are set to zero anyway), and vsync is forced off. Right now I'm guessing for trilinear to work in the game this also has to be set to Trilinear or at least not None; this has yet to be confirmed though. I've been told that the original UT has an additive/multiplicative effect with AA and AF (if it's 4X in the game and then you set it to 4X in the CP, then it ends up being 16X), but I have no idea if the same thing applies to UT2004 and we're talking about the Force Mipmaps and not AA or AF.

SkaarjMaster
13th Jun 2009, 09:17 AM
OK, I'll Clamp it, but what was it you set to "application controlled" that resulted in the change? Should I clamp it in all the other games as well (Unreal, UT, UT2003, Q3, Painkiller, D3, Q4, UT3, Grid - last 3 not installed yet)? Or maybe I need to do this for D3D games only?

One thing I've been wondering about though, if I have anisotropic filtering enabled do I want to disable trilinear filtering? I noticed in some games the options for texture filtering are bilinear, trilinear and anisotropic.

EDIT: just installed Doom3 today and saw this in the tweak guide at tweakguides.com if it helps any,"Note that if you have any level of Antialiasing enabled in your graphics card control panel, they will override these settings." "These" refers to the settings set within the game. Not sure if this helps us out with UT2004 settings vs. Nvidia CP though.

SkaarjMaster
13th Jun 2009, 10:27 PM
Anisotropic Filtering. It's supposed to automatically set 'Clamp' whan you enable AF in the NVIDIA CP, but it also sets it to 'Allow' when you change to 'Application Controlled'. This is wrong if you are going to enable AF in the game.

Both of these must be from a global settings and not a forced setting. In one profile, AF is app. controlled and LOD is on Allow (global) and I then set AF to 2X and the LOD automatically clamped and the Texture filtering-anisotropic sample optimization bolded into the Off setting; but when I went back to AF - application controlled the clamped remained.

Anyway, the rest of your observations make sense and will help out a lot. I've been enabling trilinear and AF in some games in the past with no observable problems and I've heard from a few sources that it was OK, so I'll just continue to do this.

SkaarjMaster
15th Jun 2009, 09:12 PM
OK, so now I just need to run some benchmarks and figure out AA and AF (for both UT2003 and UT2004). Based on discussions here, there and everywhere, I have an idea of what I want, but I just want to see what kind of framerate hit I can live with; I will be getting a 120Hz LCD as soon as I can afford one and it's at least as good in input lag and response time as this one.:)

Dark Pulse
16th Jun 2009, 02:14 AM
They make 120 Hz LCDs?

SkaarjMaster
16th Jun 2009, 07:13 AM
Actually, they make 120Hz and 240Hz LCDs but none are affordable enough and good enough for gaming yet.:)

SkaarjMaster
16th Jun 2009, 07:36 PM
damn marketing crap.......:(

hyrulian
16th Jun 2009, 10:54 PM
Almost always is that way, these days...

GreatEmerald
17th Jun 2009, 04:48 AM
They make 120 Hz LCDs?

I saw 600Hz displays being advertised... Who would ever need that much?!

SkaarjMaster
19th Jun 2009, 09:17 PM
OK, to Hell with the benchmarks for now. I'm just setting both UT2003 and UT2004 to 8XQ AA and 16X AF.:) I'll do the benchmarks for select games later.