UE3 - UT3 character torso is black while playing the game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gargoyleblade

Jun 5, 2009
I put my custom character in unreal. I can see everything in the character creation screen. But when I start playing the character the torso is black and I cant see the textures. The only thing that turns black is the torso so I don't think its the material or the whole body would turn black. I tried reimporting it into unreal multiple times but nothing happen. I also tried redoing the UVWs but that didn't work either.

gargoyleblade

Jun 5, 2009
I put my custom character in unreal. I can see everything in the character creation screen. But when I start playing the character the torso is black and I cant see the textures. The only thing that turns black is the torso so I don't think its the material or the whole body would turn black. I tried reimporting it into unreal multiple times but nothing happen. I also tried redoing the UVWs but that didn't work either.

Attachments

• screenshot view.jpg
    screenshot view.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 6
  • screenshot game.jpg
    screenshot game.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 5

b r y o n

Aug 23, 2009
So after some troubleshooting i finally managed to fix the issue i was having (oddly enough the torso, arms, and one boot were blacking out...)

Things to check:

1. Alpha channels on your .tga files
2. The LOD info (double check them after the initial import. sometimes they reset back to TEXTUREWorld.)
3. The UV coordinates on your models. There may be some polygon floating around where it shoudln't be.
4. (this is what ultimately worked for me) Export the models from your 3D software as .obj files (make sure you do not export materials.). Then import them into a new 3D file. You may need to reskin (I tried saving the skin envelopes and loading them into the new file but this did not work. if you are using 3DS Max though you may be able to get away with a skin wrap modifier like i did.) Then export the new meshes into the package.

I suspect that the odd behavior of the mesh was caused by a few 3DS Max crashes that occurred while I was skinning (the fie probably corrupted in some way). Sometimes just starting over in a new 3D file will fix a lot of things.

good luck.

accroman

Oct 24, 2009
Hey, quick question.
In max did u put an unwrap uv modifier over the body, and then for the head?
then did u detach the parts of the body to become the torso, legs, boots, arms and leave the head as is?
Hope u can help coz i have the same problem