Internet connections

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Does anyone know whether it's possible to set up my internet connections up so that if one connection is lost, the other will seamlessly take its place - but set one network as preferred when both are connected.

Basically I mainly use an ethernet cable for my internet connection, seeing as I get an awful wireless signal in my room, but it would be good if I could have the wireless connection take over almost instantly when I unplug the ethernet cable to leave the room or whatever. However, when I return to my room and plug the ethernet cable back in, I would like my laptop to automatically switch to using that network, rather than continuing to use the wireless. Is this possible, or will I just have to put up with losing my internet connection for a short while each time I unplug the ethernet cable from my laptop?

EDIT: It doesn't usually take windows that long to change to the working connection if one is down, but it would be useful if I could set one connection as preferred when reconnected and make the switch from one network to another faster.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Assuming that you have two Internet connections available from different suppliers then VRRP might be what you want:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Router_Redundancy_Protocol

Set the two gateway devices on your LAN to operate in a master/backup configuration. The master should be the main connection that you want to use as a default. It will also be necessary for it to be configured to shutdown if the WAN link goes away.

The other issue that you will face is that the above approach will not detect a poor connection as opposed to a failed connection. So, if your primary ISP's network is running slowly or DNS has failed, the router might still consider that the network is still available even if specific protocols are goosed.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Hello...
I think its not possible because if first connection is not working, how your second connection is going to work, its only possible when the provider is different for second connection...

Both of the connections are to the same router, however one is wireless and one is via an ethernet cable. I use the ethernet cable because it is faster and I get a bad wireless signal in my room, but if I want to move my laptop somewhere else in the house I'd unplug the ethernet cable and use the wireless.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
It does, but when you turn this off it takes a minute for windows to realise that it is unplug and begin using the ethernet connection - Basically what I'm looking for is a way to decrease the time it takes for the computer to switch internet connection or if possible make it seamless via some form of software. It isn't really a huge probelm, more just something that would be useful in order to prevent programs such as MSN, Skype and any IRC channels from losing their connection and taking time to reconnect.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
leave the wireless on then?

There is probably going to be some drop as the OS will have to use one or the other connection. And when plugging a cable in there will be the few seconds it determines IP address etc.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
I do leave the wireless on, but it would just be useful if I could ensure that it would use the wired connection as preferred seeing as it has a better connection and in the event that I do unplug the wired connection it can switch to using the wireless quicker than it does automatically. - I just want to speed up the process of the OS changing which connection it uses when one is disconnected.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
I don't think it'll happen like the flick of a light switch, as said the OS will need to communicate with the router via cable or wireless to ask if a connection is there. As said server OS's normally can handle instant switching because they normally have 2 Ethernet ports on to different connections etc.

I doubt you'll be able to achieve what you're looking for.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Ah, thanks thats a start - I searched for a way to do that but couldn't find anything - I guess I just needed to try a different search criteria.