I have Graphics Issues?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Galaxtus

May 19, 2009
Hey guys.

Its not fare to ask this question because i have one of the most worst system.
P3 866 Mhz
256 RAM
Windows XP
On board video graphics of 4 mb :D

Its that i cant use any of the latest D3d8 or 9 or the opengl with the settings provided by you guys on my system. Before that i use to play it OpenGL but now UT is not working with it so i have using the old D3d. Is there any way i can improve my graphics or the performance of the game. Can i be able to use the latest dll files.

I was planning to buy a new Monster CPU but i am little broke out now.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I think the problem is less of your CPU and more of the fact that you're using extremely weak onboard video. Even the latest Intel IGPs would rock the casbah as far as UT is concerned.

You need a new motherboard or a dedicated videocard. Even an AGP one will let you run the advanced renderers, as long as it's DirectX 9.0c compatible, which most cards should be as of GeForce 5 / ATI 9x00 series. (And those series of cards are both over five years old so they should be dirt cheap.)

The last AGP cards nVidia put out was the GeForce 7800, I think. ATI, no clue. Supposedly they still make an oddball AGP card.

After that, a new CPU would also help, but you'd probably be best off just saving up for a newer system. Like this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4679657&sku=B69-0079

For $500, that's not a bad system, and it might even run UT3 with a little bit of work.

Last edited:

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
Hey guys.

Its not fare to ask this question because i have one of the most worst system.
P3 866 Mhz
256 RAM
Windows XP
On board video graphics of 4 mb :D

Its that i cant use any of the latest D3d8 or 9 or the opengl with the settings provided by you guys on my system. Before that i use to play it OpenGL but now UT is not working with it so i have using the old D3d. Is there any way i can improve my graphics or the performance of the game. Can i be able to use the latest dll files.

I was planning to buy a new Monster CPU but i am little broke out now.

when did you get that?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
With this video card, it's best to use software renderer instead.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Since the "old" D3D renderer works, you could probably try using a Glide wrapper and play UT with the Glide renderer. (I installed this one quite a while ago for Diablo II and it seemed to work with UT as well.)
Provided you get the wrapper to work, the results and performance are probably much better than with the software renderer.
A Glide wrapper emulates the 3Dfx Glide interface and translates it to OpenGL or D3D internally. The game doesn't see that, though, and instead communicates in "Glide language" with the wrapper. Glide is restricted to 16bit color resolution, but that's probably the least of your problems, considering your system specs. ;)

I'm with DP, though: If you upgrade, don't just buy a new CPU and/or RAM. Buy a new motherboard instead. Good upgrade kits like the one DP linked are available for reasonable prices.

Last edited:

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
The reason the new renders wont work on your system is because they aren't designed for it. That system was created right around the same time UT came out, so it's on board video and CPU is within' the specs of what it takes to run regular UT.

So you need to use the default/stock renders. Just like everyone else was saying, just update your video card. Don't need anything expensive, just something with more than 32MB of on board memory, like a used Geforce 2 off ebay. I would also be willin' to bet you can update that CPU to a PIII 933/1Ghz and you can probably find them on ebay for like 10 bucks.

Last edited:

Galaxtus

May 19, 2009
Ok guys. I had enough of this. I will buy a new CPU. I need suggestion for what i need with latest graphics card. i want to run the UT3 also with max game performance But dont make it expensive.
I thought on this...

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
If you do buy a new graphics card, just make sure that you get one that is compatible with the standard of AGP slot on your motherboard. You might need to get an older card second-hand. It is quite possible that an AGP card that is currently available in retail will not be compatible with your mother board.

Some info and futher links here:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

If you have to live with your current system then I'd up the RAM before the CPU. XP SP3 with AV, Java Quickstart, Adobe quick start, redundant default services and all the other "helpful" resident utilities that companies like to install for "our benefit" makes 256MB RAM a bit tight to be running UT.

The CPU is fine for a 10-year old (almost) game. I have one system running UT on a PIII/1GHz with a NV5200 PCI GPU with S3TC and even though there is the overhead of running it through Wine (it's a Linux system) I still get 70fps+ at 1024x768 on the city flypast.

There is no way that you will be able to run UT3 with any reasonable upgrade of your current system.

I ran UT3 on a XP2400/NV7600/2GB RAM system and it was playable (and not too bad looking) on minimum everything. That was a system that was 2 generations beyond your current system.

UT3 = completely new system for you. :(

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I'm only barely able to run UT3 on my old system (P4 3.2GHz, 3GHz RAM, ATI 9800Pro256MB) and that's with all the graphics turned down to 1. I do have trouble with a new map every now and then. I've had a new system now for over 2 months, but I haven't installed UT3 on it yet but should in about a month. Good Luck.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Heh, I still have my old UT-Q3 pc (pIII 800 mhz, 256 mb ram, geforce2 mx (eek) 32 mb, 20 and 8 gigs drives) just for old times sake. But I couldn't imagine being stuck with it these days.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
If you do buy a new graphics card, just make sure that you get one that is compatible with the standard of AGP slot on your motherboard.
Apologies for quoting myself.

One other alternative that I was surprised to discover is that it is possible to get a PCI-based NV8600.

http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/product/VGA/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Specification&no=249

They also do a NV6200 http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/product/VGA/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Specification&no=213

The 6200 is PCI 2.1 which should be compatible with a PIII/866 motherboard (but check!) The specification doesn't state what is in use for the 8600.

I'd say that the 8600 was probably overkill compared to the rest of your system but the 6200 would be a good match (and less likely to blow PSU fuses. :))

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I'm still in favor of him getting a newer system, especially if he intends to use it for general computing. It's one thing if it's a "retrobox" meant for old DOS titles and the like, but if he's using it for general purpose use and some light gaming, something like what I linked isn't bad at all. I cringe every time I have to mess with my brother's ancient P2 350... but I'm loathe to give him my old Athlon system, as if my current box goes on me, that's my backup.

That said, if you can't spend $500 on a new system, the solutions I and others have mentioned are also pretty good. But yes, you'll need to make sure your motherboard is compatible with the stuff you get. One way to find out if it is, is to run a small program called CPU-Z, which will tell you lots of techy-type information about your processor, motherboard, and RAM. You should take note of the specs and jot them down, and use them to buy parts that will be compatible with your motherboard.

When you find out the motherboard model, you can try plugging that into Google to see if you come up with a user manual or a spec sheet, which will further help you out.

Last edited: