POT: Is getting high and competing cheating?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Is getting high and competing cheating?

• "YES"

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • "NO"

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
A question for all you wonderful people out there;

Do you consider playing stoned -I'm referring to marijuana, but insert your drug of choice here- cheating?

It's fair to say that you are using drugs to "enhance your skills". I know I'm noticeably better stoned.

So no judgment on lifestyles here, but "yes" or "no" is it cheating?

Feel free to swap recipes for "the ultimate chocolate brownies" here as well.

When I say competing I mean gaming.

Last edited:

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
Everyone knows marijuana is a drug enhancement that can help you on track and field to come last in a team of 8 million other runners… who are all dead.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Yes. For example, when two boxers are fighting and one starts to lose advantage, the latter might have dropping dopamine levels. As you know drugs of any kind can increase tolerance to stress, wear, pain and even increase performance in terms of oxygen production and energy.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
I voted no. I don't see getting stoned helping in physical activities. you really do? Don't get me wrong, I love buds, but I don't think it would help me in track ;)

Mastame

Dec 27, 2004
The Netherlands
Oh, wait, I thought we were talking about gaming here. In that case it's no.

Stuff like sports, well, if it's beneficial, I'd say yes.

/edit: vv He makes a point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
Anyone has the potential to smoke pot and use it to their advantage. The only people who call it cheating are the ones who are too big of pussies to try it. When people get their medal taken away in the Olympics because they tested positive for marijuana? THAT'S ridiculous.

And if smoking is cheating, then drinking coffee or Mtn Dew must be a crime 'cause I kick ass when I'm all spragackled.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Because it said insert drug of choice, then I have to say "yes". If it was just marijuana and especially if we're just talking about gaming, then I have to say "no". A lot of us might be high when we play anyway, right?;) I also don't see marijuana helping any in other competitions, in fact, I see it only hurting you in track, swimming, etc.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
If you are using drugs of any kind for anything other than its medicinal purpose then it is cheating unless the 'sport' allows for the use of stimulants.

So technically smoking weed ought not to be considered cheating if and only if you've got a disease or something that requires smoking weed as part of the healing process.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
we talking about gaming or sports?

I'll take a smoke when I'm online and often it seems like I'm a little more tuned into my surroundings. Do I actually play any better? That's anybody's guess, and if I were to say I did, it would probably be a placebo effect.

As for sports, my buddies and I have an intramural soccer team (indoor) that we compete in here at college and we usually smoke before most games. Personally I think I play better when I'm a little high (a little, not wasted) because I'm more relaxed and don't get let my emotions get in the way.

I think it depends on the sport, for instance, I'd probably be much worse at tennis or baseball, where soccer is a pretty mindless game albeit fast paced.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
in that case, I doubt you could call it cheating. a lot of people like to drink (you know, alcohol) or have a big mug of coffee in front of them for gaming sessions. those are drugs too, and are they cheating? no.

being high while gaming doesn't enhance your skills. I know this from experience. you're only as good as you were when you were sober although you may feel more "immersed" in the game which might give you the perception of being better.
but again, this is placebo I'm pretty sure.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
WEED HAX FTW!

Interesting subject btw. You could really spin this either way.

It does seem to increase your focus, only by means of covering up any of those outside distractions that might get in your way. ie: Your mood, that cheatox guy's autotaunt, outside noise, etc.

However, unless you're already familiar with the activity, or in this case game, and how to do/play it, you're going to fumble around and look like a retard in trying to do something. I can't tell you how many CSS servers I got banned from for teamkilling, only because I baked up and couldnt tell the skins apart lol.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Can it enhance your play? Possibly...

Is it cheating? Not until they declare Coca Cola, Coffee, Red Bull, and so forth cheating.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Can it enhance your play? Possibly...

Is it cheating? Not until they declare Coca Cola, Coffee, Red Bull, and so forth cheating.

that will happen once 'professional' gaming becomes anything other than the joke it is now ;)