The Alzheimers Project

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
No, not the latest band from England.

It's actually a very very good documentry type series about Alzheimers. The effects, the cause, the possible cure. It can be hard to watch if you know someone with Alzheimers. Chances are, that one of us here on this forum does know someone with it. I don't know anyone personally (other than my great-grandma who had it) who has it. But it's ****ing crazy to see this disease in action.

There is alot of information about Alzheimers in the program. High cholesterol is a very good canidate for getting Alzheimers. As is many other things. If anyone is at all intrested, I hope you watch the program.

Apparently they are close to finding a cure. Or at the least finding something to help slow the progression of it.

http://www.hbo.com/alzheimers/index.html

Anyways, I thought that some of you might find it intresting to watch or learn from it.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Wow I am surprised they have not localized the websites, considering it hasn't aired yet in Canada.
For those wondering, go to the united states local site.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I'll check that out here sometime, thanks.
My great Aunt had that stuff and it was ****ed up!

Isn't THC supposed to help prevent/treat that disease? Along with Parkinson's?

I don't know. To be stripped of your mind like that seems scary, but I wonder what the patients feel like... can you fear losing something you don't remember having?
________
Herbalaire

Last edited:

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
My grandfather, and my wife's grandfather both had it. One/both of us is most likely fecked.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I've only watched the 30 minutes one, and everything they've talked about I've seen the same thing happen to three of my four grandparents.
They do not have Alzheimer, but it appears the same way outside, and it's just terrible.
My mother's father has hydrocephalus. This causes him to have fits, not be able to take care of himself, walk, and forget recent events (although as he progresses it stops being only recent events as it keeps rewinding back in time, erasing older and older events). The worst thing is that sometimes he remembers and is aware of what happens to him. Having a conversation with the person who he was a few years ago is great, but it makes the rest when he isn't here anymore much more painful. He is now in the hospital where my mother works, so he gets to see her every day, but he isn't getting better...
My father's mother had a stroke one night a few years ago, and never fully recovered from it. Now she has trouble remembering things, taking care of herself, and having conversations.
My father's father has lost a lot after this accident, he is now at 90 years old not even a tenth of the man he was at 85. He used to do home work like repairs and etc. even at that age, now he simply is unable to. He also drove a car until recently, a Pontiac Parisienne he bought when my mother and father got married. My uncle has the car now. They both still live right upstairs, although I think it will change soon from the look of things.
It pains me greatly every time I see them. This documentary for the first time had me thinking about all three at the same time. I will not use any icons, but it's really the worst feeling I've had in a while.

I've been watching "Memory Tapes." Part 2 is amazing. It's exactly like that, it seems like they've lost so much yet they still retain some part of themselves and that's amazing. The guy who sang was truly spectacular, and the old guy in bed (#6) must have had a good sense of humour. His joke was really funny and genuine. It's too bad such a disease exists.

Last edited:

drakon

Introverted™
Jan 20, 2008
My grandmother has it. I had to take care of her last summer (the entire 3 mths) and it was the single hardest thing I ever did. Taking care of someone who has this disease is not easy, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I took care of her during the day and my mom got nights and weekends since she was the only one working. Lately, she's in the advanced stage of the disease, so things are only going to get harder. The medication has slowed the progress somewhat, but it can only do so much.

I haven't watched the video as yet, but thanks for posting the link, Jackal :)

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
drakon, I feel for you. I find it absolutely difficult to stand around for the half hour we are with them. I can't imagine three months, though the videos give a good idea of what to expect, only replicated for the duration. (I make it sound simple in this sentence, but I know it isn't)

Here are the video links in order, so nobody has to look around for them on the site, as the link provided by Jackal does not work directly, it makes you go through the main portal and you have to search for the videos (for me at least)

The Memory Loss Tapes (1:23:52)
Grandpa, Do You Know Who I Am? (30:48)
Momentum In Science (2:05:37)
Caregivers (48:48)

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
My grandmother has Alzheimer's too. My sister did her end-of-studies work on the disease. It's quite debilitating and a lot of care and patience is required when handling patients that suffer from it. It's not limited to old people.

I don't know. To be stripped of your mind like that seems scary, but I wonder what the patients feel like... can you fear losing something you don't remember having?

They are most probably lost and start becoming wary when it's a problem recognizing relatives and other people. They also get moody because they are aware to some extent of their state.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Would explain the anger thing.

I'd get flaming mad too if I was witnessing my whole life slowly disappear piece by piece.
"FUUUUUCCCKKKK!"

Anyway, it's obviously some form of hell on earth. would be nice to do something about it if we could.

I'm sure the Neo-cons would love to call it God's Will though.
________
Live sex

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Anyway, it's obviously some form of hell on earth. would be nice to do something about it if we could.

There are some experiments involving umbilical cord blood stem cell transplants with interesting results but it probably won't produce anything useful for a while.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
see, that's another thing. Your love bitches pretty much have a hold on your fortune after that, and all they care about is themselves.
How THEY feel, what would make ME feel better in this situation.

It's stupid and ****ed up.

Then again, that's us ;)
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Last edited:

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
see, that's another thing. Your love bitches pretty much have a hold on your fortune after that, and all they care about is themselves...

And presumably you never cared about them?

If your loved ones don't give themselves a firm shake and wake up then it won't be THEM or YOU getting the money it'll be your money grabbing government, let alone door to door and telephone salesmen who target old people for a good reason and it's the same reason why nearly anything that is of any use to someone in such a bad condition for some reason has the largest mark up of anything remotely similar on the market..

You should give people more credit!

Last edited:

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
It's not that I don't care about them, but I definitely don't give a **** about all their belongings and stuff.
But if they are going to die, well ****, they are going to die.

Is this going to turm into a Plumb is wrong convo?

I've no idea, from what perspective are you talking about and when?
I assumed originally you were talking as if YOU had alzheimer's and would be pissed off if your relatives tried to pinch all your money but now it sounds like you just don't care that someone you "care" about is going to die via slowly losing their mind and would rather have their stuff?