GPU gone for good?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
I have an old ATI Radeon 9800 Pro which is quite broken.

When plugged in and turning on the computer, the card's fan gives a low constant growl (low RPM?) as if it was hitting something (which it isn't). Then I open my monitor to see my graphics getting teared and smeared in all directions (as if it was paper and gone through a slicer).

Otherwise the computer works fine.

So what has happened to my GPU? Is it just too old to work anymore or are there specific things which make this happen? Can it be fixed?

I'd like to plug the card to an old PC, saving some money for not buying a new card.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
If you think maybe it might be salvagable and if you can do it, remove the fans stuff and clean it out and reattach. You might even try resetting the GPU with AS5 (or equivalent) and see what happens. Sounds like it's toast, so what do you have to lose?:)

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
With AS5 you mean Arctic Silver or somesuch (came up with Google)?

Yeah, I could take it to an electronics store but I'd rather try something myself. :)

I'll check behind the heatsink whether stuffs are gone. :D

EDIT: Hmm, not sure what's okay for the pastes and such, but I didn't seem to have any (left?). Some random scrubs of cyan paste here and there, and some dust. I'll need to check the stores for some paste, AS5 maybe.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
You probably want some Arctic Silver 5 or something just as good or even slightly better. Blow out the fan and get all the dust out and stuff. Once it's back together, then give it a try. If it still gives you the same picture, then the video card is probably toast.