How to make a light or camera detect the player in UT3 Editor?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

snookerAA

May 14, 2009
I have rotating camera's parented with spotlights at the end of them. I'm wondering if there is a way to make it so if the player is in the light or "seen by the camera" that it will set off an alarm, kinda like the BioShock ones, or any other game that has cameras. I'm a digital artist, not a programmer, so if there are triggers or something I can do in the Kismit it would be a real help to find out. Basically trying to make a line of sight or like a turret detection I would think, but I don't know how to do that. Can the light beam it self be set to detect or have collision to detect, or would that need to be an added particle effect? Really not sure how to go about this and most of the forums are either the scripting or don't tell me what I need.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Attach an invisible mesh to the mover that will collide with the player if he touches it. Ideally a cone shape that mimics the falloff of the light actor.

Select the mesh and in kismet right click and go New event using staticmeshactor_01 > Touch. Then hook it up to whatever you want it to do.

snookerAA

May 14, 2009
U rule, thank you. I didn't even think of that but it makes easy sense. By chance to add some more interaction to my level is there an easy kismet process to make the spotlight's change to red colored when the invisible actor makes contact with the player? I haven't figured out well enough to know, if light's of any kind, can have color be affected in kismet.