Thi4f!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Thi4f ...uh, Thief 4 has been announced! :D

b1bfe41e.jpg

Eidos-Montréal is excited to unveil, our previously secret second title in development at the studio, as Thief 4, the next instalment in the legendary series!

The original Thief title revolutionised 1st person gaming and defined a new genre of stealth based game play. Thief has consistently met with critical acclaim, with the revered series winning awards for its originality in gameplay and sound design. Thief’s list of accolades includes a birth in GameSpy’s Hall of Fame and GameSpot citing Thief as one of the Greatest Games of All Time. Thief’s script and ground breaking sound immersion design was recognised by The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences and was awarded its prestigious Outstanding Achievement in Character and Story Development award and nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design.

http://www.thief4.com/
http://www.eidosmontreal.com/en/games.html

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
hmm ... why oh why did they have to use that spelling ...
Driv3r sucked for a reason.
Now Thi4f is doomed ... doomed I tells ya.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Driv3r sucked for a reason.
Now Thi4f is doomed ... doomed I tells ya.

No! Bad Jafo.
We compare apples to apples here.

Thief 4 could be great if it sticks to its guns.
And by guns I mean arrows. Lots of poison-tipped arrows.

Basically they need to be true to what made the first couple games so outstanding. Just because you have a numeric value in your name now doesn't mean you have to go all GenX and throw in a bunch of features that aren't necessary. Hopefully they keep their target audience in mind.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
No! Bad Jafo.
We compare apples to apples here.
ah ... can't you take a joke (even a very poor one ?) ;)

Thief 4 could be great if it sticks to its guns.
And by guns I mean arrows. Lots of poison-tipped arrows.

Basically they need to be true to what made the first couple games so outstanding. Just because you have a numeric value in your name now doesn't mean you have to go all GenX and throw in a bunch of features that aren't necessary.
OTOH they should change and add features that enhance the experience.

Hopefully they keep their target audience in mind.
There's more stealth-oriented games these days (Hitman, Metalgear Solid, Splintercell, Assassins' Creed), although with the exception of Assassins' Creed no one has really tried the medieval era.
In fact I think that the audience for AC-series may very well be their current target for the 4th version of the game.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
ah ... can't you take a joke (even a very poor one ?)
no I can't. I was seriously upset about you comparing Driv3r to Thi4f.
Seriously serious.

OTOH they should change and add features that enhance the experience.
There's more stealth-oriented games these days (Hitman, Metalgear Solid, Splintercell, Assassins' Creed), although with the exception of Assassins' Creed no one has really tried the medieval era.
In fact I think that the audience for AC-series may very well be their current target for the 4th version of the game.
It's ok to make changes to the gameplay in order to bring the experience more up to date, but you can't stray too far from the staple elements that made you successful.
In my opinion, it seems that when a series tries to outdo itself by overhauling their latest installment they tend to overdo it and the enhancements actually become counterintuitive or detrimental to the gameplay.

Of course this doesn't happen 100% of the time. My glass is half full until I see the finished product.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Thief was alright, Thief 2 was freaking brilliant and Thief 3 was meh (except for the cradle) The rule of alternating greatness gives me much hope. They just better incorporate the awesomeness of Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell into the game this time. That was one of the problems with Deadly Shadows, it was neat, but it hadn't evolved with the genre in any way and it desperately needed to.

~Jason

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
the setting is irrelevant.

it's the mechanics that count. they could be poison-tipped nano-arrows that shoot from the eye sockets for all I care. so long as the stealth elements that made the original couple titles so great aren't overlooked.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Well, a more modern setting is fine, but I really loved the whole fantasy steam punk thing going on with the hammerites and the mechanists, etc. I would love to see them kick the world forward a hundred years or so and explore what such a society evolved into.

~Jason

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Everyone involved in this project should be forced to watch Yahtzee's retrospective review of the series until they understand what is required to do the series justice.

Mar 6, 2004
YES! i love the Thief series! Garret....

I hope there is no multiplayer...thief is NOT a multiplayer game, and if there is any multiplayer to it at all, only co-op. Do secret 2v2 missions, no more then 2. But co-op is a waste...besides, if there was MP how would it work? everyone hides in the shadow all map long.

Last edited:

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
YES! i love the Thief series! Garret....

I hope there is no multiplayer...thief is NOT a multiplayer game, and if there is any multiplayer to it at all, only co-op. Do secret 2v2 missions, no more then 2. But co-op is a waste...besides, if there was MP how would it work? everyone hides in the shadow all map long.

Same way all games that are set up for camping. Focus the game around strategic focal points. Ctf, Dom, koth, etc.

Your right though multi player would be after thought not a focus for thief.
I rather hope for a full free roaming city to explore. With Real dangers, and tons of content. It's be nice to have a whole city of events and people to watch from the shadows between missions but sadly, most likely too much to ask for.