Bioshock 2 Muliplayer Details Revealed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
2k Games has revealed several details about Bioshock 2's upcoming multiplayer. They've also revealed that our old friends at Digital Extremes will be working on the multiplayer as well.

• Evolution of the genetically enhanced shooter - Earn experience points during gameplay to earn access to new Weapons, Plasmids and Tonics that can be used to create hundreds of different combinations, allowing players to develop a unique character that caters to their playing style.
  • Extend the Rapture fiction - Players will step into the shoes of Rapture citizens and learn more about the fall of Rapture as they progress through the experience.
  • See Rapture before the fall - Experience Rapture before it was reclaimed by the ocean and engage in combat over iconic environments in locations such as Kashmir Restaurant and Mercury Suites, all of which have been reworked from the ground up to deliver a fast-paced multiplayer experience.
  • FPS veterans add their touch to the multiplayer experience - Digital Extremes brings more than 10 years of first person shooter experience including development of award-winning entries in the Unreal® and Unreal Tournament® franchise.

You can also read the full press release.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
2K Games Reveals First Details of the BioShock® 2 Multiplayer Experience

Digital Extremes tapped to create extensive and exciting multiplayer element for 2K Games’ highly anticipated shooter

New York, NY – May 8, 2009 – 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today that it has signed a partnership with Digital Extremes to develop the multiplayer experience for BioShock® 2. Under this partnership, Digital Extremes is working closely with the creative team at 2K Marin to develop a new and substantial element that enhances the lore and fiction of the BioShock universe.

“The fans asked for a multiplayer experience and we answered,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “With Digital Extremes delivering a multiplayer experience for BioShock 2 that features all of the things that make BioShock unique, we’re holding ourselves to a high standard so that we can deliver the depth and variety that fans of the BioShock universe demand.”

Multiplayer in BioShock 2 provides a rich prequel experience that expands the origins of the BioShock fiction. Set during the fall of Rapture, players assume the role of a Plasmid test subject for Sinclair Solutions, a premier provider of Plasmids and Tonics in the underwater city of Rapture that was first explored in the original BioShock. Players will need to use all the elements of the BioShock toolset to survive as the full depth of the BioShock experience is refined and transformed into a unique multiplayer experience that can only be found in Rapture.

Key features:

· Evolution of the genetically enhanced shooter – Earn experience points during gameplay to earn access to new Weapons, Plasmids and Tonics that can be used to create hundreds of different combinations, allowing players to develop a unique character that caters to their playing style.

· Extend the Rapture fiction – Players will step into the shoes of Rapture citizens and learn more about the fall of Rapture as they progress through the experience.

· See Rapture before the fall – Experience Rapture before it was reclaimed by the ocean and engage in combat over iconic environments in locations such as Kashmir Restaurant and Mercury Suites, all of which have been reworked from the ground up to deliver a fast-paced multiplayer experience.

· FPS veterans add their touch to the multiplayer experience – Digital Extremes brings more than 10 years of first person shooter experience including development of award-winning entries in the Unreal® and Unreal Tournament® franchise.

BioShock 2 is currently in development at 2K Marin, 2K Australia and Digital Extremes for PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows-based PC. This title is not yet rated by the ESRB.

About Take-Two Interactive Software

Headquartered in New York City, Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is a global developer, marketer, distributor and publisher of interactive entertainment software games for the PC, PLAYSTATION®3 and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment systems, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Wii™ and Nintendo DS™. The Company publishes and develops products through its wholly owned labels Rockstar Games, 2K Games, 2K Sports and 2K Play; and distributes software, hardware and accessories in North America through its Jack of All Games subsidiary. Take-Two's common stock is publicly traded on NASDAQ under the symbol TTWO. For more corporate and product information please visit our website at www.take2games.com.

About Digital Extremes

Founded in 1993 by industry visionary, James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world’s top independent development studios in the interactive entertainment industry. The Canadian based developer is known for its high quality, technologically innovative productions such as the co-creation of Epic Games’ multi-million unit selling, Unreal® franchise, including the award-winning Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Unreal Championship brands; the technical marvel, Dark Sector® utilizing the proprietary Evolution Engine™ as well as co-development of top-selling and critically acclaimed, BioShock® for PLAYSTATION®3 system. Digital Extremes recently expanded its reach beyond development with the licensing of its Evolution Engine™. For more information on the studio or its technology, please visit www.digitalextremes.com.

All trademarks and copyrights contained herein are the property of their respective holders.

Microsoft, Windows, the Windows Vista Start button, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE, and the Xbox logos are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft.

“PlayStation”, “PLAYSTATION” and “PS” Family logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements

This press release may contain forward-looking statements made in reliance upon the safe harbor provisions of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. The statements contained herein which are not historical facts are considered forward-looking statements under federal securities laws and may be identified by words such as "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "potential," "predicts," "projects," "seeks," "will," or words of similar meaning and include, but are not limited to, statements regarding the outlook for the Company's future business and financial performance. Such forward-looking statements are based on the current beliefs of our management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to them, which are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult to predict. Actual outcomes and results may vary materially from these forward-looking statements based on a variety of risks and uncertainties including: our dependence on key management and product development personnel, our dependence on our Grand Theft Auto products and our ability to develop other hit titles for current generation platforms, the timely release and significant market acceptance of our games, the realization of the anticipated benefits from our recent business reorganization, the ability to maintain acceptable pricing levels on our games, our reliance on a primary distribution service provider for a significant portion of our products, our ability to raise capital if needed, risks associated with international operations, the matters relating to the Special Committee's investigation of the Company's stock option grants and the claims and proceedings relating thereto (including stockholder and derivative litigation, actions by governmental agencies and negative tax or other implications for the Company resulting from any accounting adjustments or other factors) and risks associated with the Company's concluded process to evaluate its strategic alternatives including stockholder litigation arising therefrom. Other important factors and information are contained in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2008, in the section entitled "Risk Factors," as updated in the Company's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended January 31, 2009, and the Company's other periodic filings with the SEC, which can be accessed at www.take2games.com. All forward-looking statements are qualified by these cautionary statements and apply only as of the date they are made. The Company undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

{Ogre}Spin

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
Well, it also answers the question about Bioshock 2's setting as far as timeline goes, with it clearly being set before the fall of rapture...odd how the viral site seemed to suggest exactly the opposite...curious.

DazJW

Mar 25, 2008
The singleplayer is set after the first game, that's been confirmed for ages.
The multiplayer is set before it so they can have a sensible scenario in which lots of standardised players have plasmids.

Enfluence

I kinda like UT3.
Jan 25, 2008
If Dark Sector mulitplayer is anything to go by, then we are definitely screwed.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
co-op might have been fun, but DM and all the standard multiplayer-crap is exactly what a game like this does not need.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
co-op might have been fun, but DM and all the standard multiplayer-crap is exactly what a game like this does not need.

On the contrary, it's exactly what the original was lacking. FPS without decent multiplayer = ripoff. I still won't play it because it (presumably) won't have mod & bot support (something which all PC games, and especially FPS style games, should have imo), but it's definitely an improvement.

Last edited:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
FPS without decent multiplayer = ripoff. I still won't play it because it (presumably) won't have mod & bot support (something which all PC games, and especially FPS style games, should have imo), but it's definitely an improvement.

I agree. If, for example, Doom 3 or Quake 4 had had bots I'm sure they'd have had a longer life (or 'perceptible life' since I think there are still mods being build upon Doom 3) and Unreal 2 should have had MP from the get-go (and even though I really like XMP I still think it should have had standard modes, too). Can't say anything about BioShock since I still haven't played anything besides the demo :shy:

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
problem is that this is not a standard fps.
It's supposed to be telling a story ...

I'd rather have a sandbox/open-world that can be explored after the main story is finished instead of multiplayer which won't be any fun if there's not enough people playing it.

There's more ways to extend the life of a game/fps besides adding something as boring and anti-story as multi-player to a game. Especially if there's no reason for the stuff considering that 'rapture' was supposed to be a paradise ...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You'll sure miss out on plenty of good games if you only pick up ones that have multiplayer.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Hmm... I just realize I quoted too much of that post :lol:
Actually, what caught my eye was the part aboug how MP parts should have bots and mod support. And that's what I agree to.

Because it's not that I only play games that have an MP part. Some games I really like don't have it - Max Payne, Fable, KotOR, Prince of Persia for example. Oh well... :shy:

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
I consider that a requirement for any decent multi-player game to have bots/AI that allow for off-line multi-player play.
Unfortunately mp is often added just because they can and few if any developers spend enough time to add decent AI/bot-capability to a feature like that.
I'd say Epic is the only one who even bothers to do so even though the Unreal-engine is capable ...

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Bioshock 2 could have a very interesting MP, but (no offense) I'm a bit sceptical about Digital Extremes potential. However, the Pariah Multiplayer was one of the best ''potential'' on X-Box back in the days... Very fun! So maybe there is some hope behind all that...