It's the return of the retarted publishing deals!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
Taken from Blue's News

NEW YORK, NY – May 6th, 2009 – Atari, one of the world’s most recognized video game publishers, today confirmed the worldwide launch plans for the highly anticipated Ghostbusters: The Video Game.

The title will launch on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows® PC, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ in North America on June 16th 2009 and will be published by Atari Inc.

In an exclusive deal for Europe and the PAL regions, the PLAYSTATION®3 system and PlayStation®2 system versions will launch on June 19th 2009 published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. The launch coincides with the 25th anniversary of the original film’s theatrical release and the launch of the Blu-RayTM of the classic first movie, benefiting from a worldwide launch and licensing campaign by Sony Pictures Consumer Products.

"Ghostbusters: The Video Game is one of our most significant worldwide releases this summer. Through Atari's North America publishing business and alongside our partners at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, we have a strategically diversified approach to maximize a title of this magnitude on a global basis," said Jim Wilson, CEO, Atari, Inc.

He continued: “As excitement in the marketplace continues to accelerate around this title and the 25th anniversary of the movie's release, Ghostbusters' large and loyal fan base and gamers across North America can play Ghostbusters: The Video Game across all major platforms on June 16."

A PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) version of the game is scheduled for worldwide launch in autumn 2009 and will be published in Europe by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

Great... so the USA gets a launch on all formats, while Europe gets it only on the Playstation 2 and 3. Place your bets on the next big game to be pirated in Europe...
I really don't get why companies do this, it's just asking for people to pirate it. If you can release it on all formats in one territory, you should be prepared to do the same in all others too, in my opinion.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I read that yesterday and was pissed off aswell. If they can afford to drop customers just like that I'll spend my cash elsehwere.

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
I don't think they'll lose any sleep over it, as Sony is paying a whole lot more than you will ever spend on them.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
pirate what ?
the 360's got plenty of games to compete.
we don't need no stinkin' ghosts.

I think MS had to pay lots of money just to get it published for the 360 in the USA ...
Sony isn't stupid.
but then MS isn't either.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
pirate what ?

I think MS had to pay lots of money just to get it published for the 360 in the USA ...
Sony isn't stupid.

well, sony paid for a "timed exclusive" which means that the EU will see Ghostbusters on the shelves for x360 7 months later than for ps3.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
pirate what ?

Sony isn't stupid.

PC version, not 360. The 360 doesn't have THAT big a piracy issue anyway, but this is going to damage the pc version badly, if they ever launch the pc version in the EU.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The game doesn't look like it's worth buying anyway.

Besides Chronicles of Riddick, what movie based game is worth buying?

It will be the same ol same ol with these types of games. The game will get critically shamed by the so called "professional reviewers" out there, and still sell in the millions.

Or you know we could all be surprised and it be one of the best ever and only sell a couple hundred thousand.

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
Taken from Blue's News

Great... so the USA gets a launch on all formats, while Europe gets it only on the Playstation 2 and 3. Place your bets on the next big game to be pirated in Europe...
I really don't get why companies do this, it's just asking for people to pirate it. If you can release it on all formats in one territory, you should be prepared to do the same in all others too, in my opinion.

Just to play a little devil advocate here but the logistics of doing something like this would be massive as each region/market has different rules and stipulations on how games are to be released and you also have to make sure that all the companies involved in the game are happy with the release contract as well as the distributors and stores.

They could have also planned to do a all format world wide release and then some where along the line something feel through with the printing of the disk or maybe it took longer than expect to localize the game to say German(Apparently this is the hardest language to localize due to the huge character strings of letters) but this was only the case on the 360 and Wii versions.

I do agree with you that a world wide launch on all formats would be great and that by not doing so they have encouraged people to obtain the game form "other" sources but in some cases the companies don't really have a choice in the matter. It's an extremely long and complex process to get a game on the retail shelf in the US as every one wants shelf space and shelf space is a precious commodity. Now add the whole world to the mix and you have a vastly more complex problem and if any link in the chain breaks the whole deal could fall apart.

But to go somewhere completely different I have played the game this year at the GDC and I have to say that the game is really really well done or at least the parts I played where. It has to be one of if not the best video game based on a movie I have ever played. It will definitely be worth the wait and the money though.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
PC version, not 360. The 360 doesn't have THAT big a piracy issue anyway, but this is going to damage the pc version badly, if they ever launch the pc version in the EU.

the pc-version is unlikely to sell much of anything even if it was a world-wide multi-platform release and it sure won't be mentioned by anyone anywhere if they can avoid it.

Heck ... just look at where the marketing is done for the average multi-platform game (like the Call of Duty-series). Most ads are for the consoles (usually the 360, sometimes the PS3 depending on who's spending money) and few if any mention a pc-version at al even if there is one ...

pc = dead as far as marketing & most developers are concerned.

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
pc = dead as far as marketing & most developers are concerned.

I have to strongly disagree with you on that one. Look at wow for example or TF2 how about the Unreal serious of games. The PC market is never going to "die" there might be cut backs and less games coming out for them but that's a big maybe. Have you ever considered that consoles and PC could merge into one another to forum a hybrid macheine that can be used for everything not just playing games.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
The real st00puditay here is that they release the PC version in the USA and not in Europe, instead of the other way around (though obviously releasing it both places would be even smarter still).

It's in the USA the PC market is in decline, whilst in Europe the PC is still the gaming platform of choice in most countries, and going strong across the board, and it's been this way for as long as i can remember, even back when the NES was riding high in the states, us Yurps where much more into the early PC's like the old Atari systems (ohh the irony of it all), so i fail to see how this move makes any sense at all..

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Like said earlier europe is pretty much a pc gaming area.

Also pc gaming isnt in decline they have said that for years, its just that making games became more expensive and thus this requires multiplatforming the games up to sell more.