Any way of disabeling item drops?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

crazyfingers

Apr 28, 2009
When i give a player an item and they die, they drop it, this includes weapons and powerups like berserk.

Is there any way of disabling item drop?

DazJW

Mar 25, 2008
I'm not sure about the powerups but the weapon bit is because ThrowActiveWeapon() is called when a pawn dies (it's in Pawn.uc).

burlydan

May 4, 2009
Not really.. but...

Hey man me and some friends just completed a multiplayer mod and we could not find a way to stop bots or players from dropping their deployables/weapons when they die. We had only been using Unreal Editor for nine weeks and did not know any Unrealscript when we started, so we decided to do 100% kismet just like you.

We went into kismet and made it so that if someone picked up the dropped deployable/weapon they would have their inventory cleared and then whatever weapons they had before hand would be returned to them.

You have to use "Has Inventory" and "Is Using Weapon" with "Give Inventory" depending on what weapon/deployable you are using. I know this is not the desired end result you are looking for, but this turns the dropped deployable/weapon into an ammo pickup for anyone in the game.

Also, I'd like to note that the kismet required to do this is probably going to make you cry or rage quit. PM me if you need more help.

-Dan Mullins

Last edited:

crazyfingers

Apr 28, 2009
Thanks burly, actually got a little help in another forum, but i might as well post the solution here...

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=677219

Basically you add a trigger that surrounds your level, but make sure you change the "Pawn" touch condition to "Dropped Pickup" and "rotating dropped pickup" among a few other little things.

Sample the instigator from the out on a destroy command and presto! All dropped items now instantly get destroyed.

Pretty simple, just didn't know that trigger volumes could be customized to register other types of hits.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Gah why does this sound like a nasty hack, pretty sure I put up a mutator in the uscript subforum here for weapon drops. It wouldnt be hard to extend it to udamage etc...

Why is everyone so quick to turn to kismet? Im sure its great and has its uses but theres overhead involved which with uscript you can cut down dramatically. We could use all the uscripters we can get to be honest, every man and his dog uses unrealed these days.

crazyfingers

Apr 28, 2009
Not sure what you mean by overhead, i'm kinda new to this stuff. Does this just mean there's more processes to run kismet code?

As a game artist i know what it's like when things aren't optimized. Put something in with to many polys and the engine really chugs. I've been doing some really crazy kismet stuff and so far i haven't seen the game engine bat an eye. So as someone who spends hours optimizing things to make a game run faster, kismet really doesn't seem that bad, even when it gets really gnarly.

When you think about it, how much processing power do game engines these days spend on the actual gameplay. I don't mean the physics and all that, i mean the elements of health, ammo, damage computations, etc. It's really not that much. A little overhead in this area i feel isn't going to hurt anyone.

And again, i'm no coder, i'm just having a real blast goofing around with kismet in a sandbox environment where it's easy to adjust gameplay very quickly without having to type it out.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah I'll be honest and say I dont know the exact amount of overhead for this specific piece of kismet but I can say with an almost certainty that the uscript equivalent would be alot less.

I guess all Im saying is be careful as we still dont have limitless processing power at our finger tips so every piece will take extra processing. Thats assuming the kismet is hackish and not replicating what could be done in uscript exactly. Infact I'll say that kismet might even be more effiecient then uscript under certain instances because of its native links but usually Id assume atleast some % overhead for every bit of kismet (someone feel free to chime in and correct me if Im wrong :cool:)

In the end though I still stand by what I said about uscripters, Ive noticed a huge lack of interest in this area since UT3 has been released with current veterans spread across atleast 4 engine versions. Just thought Id say that if anyone is interested kismet could open doors to the way of thinkin required for gameplay coding (not engine coding).

By all means though, goof around, I just wanted to say that little bit and make people aware of what is happening since kismet is around now. Myself I didnt have that luxury when I started uscripting back with 2k3, so its a good option for people dont get me wrong. It just seems to be a quick/easy alternative which we all know isnt always the best method, so if there is something perhaps approaching a uscripter instead of hacking around kismet might be a better option (yeah I know its difficult to get coders onboard sometimes).

It can save you alot of headaches in the end and FPS for that matter especially on lower end hardware (dont assume everyone is running a quadcore beast). Something I read recently really resonated with me and has become somewhat of a guideline I now follow. That is: "reusability is an important characteristic of a high quality software component"

Ahah, heres where I read it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component-based_software_engineering

Last edited:

crazyfingers

Apr 28, 2009
I'd like to get more into scripting, but i don't have the time at the moment. The current map i'm making coincides with a level design class i'm taking in school that focuses a lot on kismet.

So I kind of have to do kismet for this project. I also can't help but think kismet is faster for exploring new gameplay ideas. If something doesn't work i just rearange some nodes and bingo, i've altered the gameplay a little and i can visualy see that everything is connected and SHOULD work. I think Kismet is a great prototyping tool. But i'm saying that with no knowledge of coding or scripting.

They both have their place, if I end up getting big time into scripting, it'll be because kismet was so much fun. As for getting more people on board to code, I think it's important to ease people in. I think a site dedicated to getting people into kismet would be a huge help to getting them into scripting, because once you're good with kismet, you have a foundation of what can be scripted and how to get variable names etc. etc. Once this level's done i'm looking forward to putting together a document explaining how all the crazy kismet adjusts the gameplay dynamics of my level.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah I can see where youre coming from! This is a common misconception though that prototyping is faster, now that specific part is faster but what if you eventually want to take your kismet to uscript for performance enhancements? (things like modularity and extensibility) Youve just wasted all the time you saved. As a closed system kismet works faster but not in that regard!

The way the kismet nodes/components work are completely different, you can even look at the kismet interface stuff there in the decompiled uscript. Which means, kismet is partly written in uscript, along with native code ofcoarse.

I find it strange your school actually focus' on kismet, hell youre a very lucky person I spose you all are. Back when I was in school we were pulling apart 286's, learnin office for windows 3.1 and doing hex.

I do think alot of people get into kismet with no foundation at all, pretty much they throw around boxes and hook them up in the hopes something will work. Eventually they come across it by chance but its the ugliest hack you ever seen in your life because they dont understand the flow of events (basic uscript knowledge) through the gameplay :cool:

Last edited:

crazyfingers

Apr 28, 2009
I should mention that my school's main focus is in the art side of game development, all this gameplay stuff is really just stuff i've been doing on the side for my own enjoyment.

They recently added a new "game programming major", i'm sure they'll be doing all kinds of scripting. What i would have given to have had one of them on board to work with me on these gameplay tweaks ;)

Last edited: