UE3 - UT3 Having A Frustrating Time With Painting Materials To My Terrains.....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009
So I'm trying to paint some materials to my terrains and while I got 2 to work I can't get anymore....

I have grass down and some rock down but I'm trying to add some more to break up the level and no luck as of yet. I've posted a screenie of how it's setup to see if it's something I did but I can sit here and CTRL+Left Click and nothing happens......

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 22

Apophis3d

Lord Apophis
Jan 22, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.apophis3d.net
The material you wish to paint with needs to be moved under the first material. So if you have 3 materials created under the first default material you assigned and you want to paint with the 3rd one. You need to move it to the top of the stack right under the first material. In other words the material you want to paint with needs to be the 2nd material on the material stack.

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009
but when I move the materials in the list it moves them in the world as well....check it out

Attachments

• stack 1.jpg
    stack 1.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 11
  • stack 2.jpg
    stack 2.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 15

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009
So if I can't move it then how can I paint it? I must not be understanding this correctly.....maybe I should watch a few more tutorials....

Flint

Mar 5, 2009
flint.ucoz.com
Unreal terrain does have bugs.. When you make new layer with new own material in terrain editor - it will be better to paint a bit terrain with your new material and save your map. Unreal should create Weightmap for your material...
You must do it for every new layer in terrain or every terrain layer sequence change...

Last edited:

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009
Cool, I will be sure to try that as soon as I get home. To be clear I should create the new layer for painting and then save the map. Once I reload the map it should paint without a problem, right?

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks Houjin, right now I have two textures and I am trying to add a third and then maybe a fourth but I might just keep it to three depending on how it comes out. I am still out and about on my phone but when I get home I will be sure to let you know how it goes. Let me ask you this, how do I change how large the tiles of the material are that I am painting with?

Apophis3d

Lord Apophis
Jan 22, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.apophis3d.net
If you open up the properties for the terrain, then expand the options for the texture you want to work with. Under there someplace I don't know it off the top of my head and am not on a comp with ut3 atm. But someplace in there you will find something that says x and y or something to that effect. If you mess with those numbers it will make the terrain tile more of less.

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009
Alright, I took a look and I found the textures in the properties but I don't see an adjustment setting anywhere....check the pic ;)

thanks for the help!

ninja edit - as a side note the whole texture creation then save and re-load worked like a charm ;)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: