Piracy...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
...no, not the copyright crap, the oldskool kind that happens off the Somali coast etc. Anyway, what's up with this ****?? :mad: Instead of paying these guys multi million $$ ransoms, and sending a bunch of expensive (and not terribly effective) warships, why not, you know, arm the crews? It's bat**** insane to send people into pirate infested waters unarmed.

Alternatively, if for some reason you don't want to arm the crew, add 5 or so armed guards to each potentially at risk ship.

Governments could help by patrolling the area with bait ships that look like regular cargo vessels, but are armed and have military personnel (marines) aboard. They could also send armed UAVs, and systematically destroy all small vessels that come anywhere near a cargo ship.

That should do the trick.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Because an excuse is needed to invade Somalia.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
They could also send armed UAVs, and systematically destroy all small vessels that come anywhere near a cargo ship.

Winning hearts and minds, Somalia Edition.

You know, I'd rather suggest something like genuine state-building with partners in the area in order to create structures that help stabilize the region in the long run instead of just continuing to deal with the effects of the complete state failure in Somalia that happen to affect outsiders.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
They just need to execute all pirates they find. In the good old days it was so much easier. They were hanged - problem solved. Today the countries can barely agree where to put them on trial.
Even better would be to capture them, sail into some Somalian harbor and execute them there publicly to deter others.

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
Argh :(

Attachments

• is.jpg
    is.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
They just need to execute all pirates they find. In the good old days it was so much easier. They were hanged - problem solved. Today the countries can barely agree where to put them on trial.
Even better would be to capture them, sail into some Somalian harbor and execute them there publicly to deter others.
Pirates keep the rising temperature levels at bay. I know that, you know that, we all know that. If you want to destroy humanity build a fracking doomsday device like ever other respectable mad scientist. This silly social engineering approach is really low-tech and not worth your time.

*edit*
attachment.php

This is an awesome photo for an application form.

Last edited:

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon

No way they need to bring back the cat-o-nine tails.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
why not, you know, arm the crews? It's bat**** insane to send people into pirate infested waters unarmed.
they're saying it's to protect against mutiny

Alternatively, if for some reason you don't want to arm the crew, add 5 or so armed guards to each potentially at risk ship.
the larger corporate ships do, from what I understand. The smaller privately owned ones (like the one in this case) would have to deal all of the different laws from country to country and the customs agents.
Governments could help by patrolling the area with bait ships that look like regular cargo vessels, but are armed and have military personnel (marines) aboard. They could also send armed UAVs, and systematically destroy all small vessels that come anywhere near a cargo ship.
they're saying that area is way too large to effectively patrol. That said, perhaps organized convoys could be the solution?

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
They are having convoys in the Gulf of Aden (that's the area between northern Somalia and Yemen). And they are successful. There is also a corridor that's patrolled by the three international task forces there. As a result piracy in that area went down a lot.

However, the pirates are now moving their area of operation further south (as far as Kenya) and out to the sea. The area that needs to be covered is really huge.

Q-ships would be nice. But I read that there are laws against arming civilian vessels. The west is really crippling itself with all these rules.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The west wouldn't like it if others entered their waters armed to the teeth either.
Just imagine an Iranian oiltanker with its armed crew moving into New York harbour ... I wonder how many people would like that idea.

Besides ... as we've seen the pirates will simply move to the one area where there's less protection.
And if every vessel is armed then they'll get even better weapons (plus they may be even more willing to use them against crewmembers)

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
The internet is stored on TurdDrive's computer.

All approximately 7,420,000,000 websites? (From a Google search of the letter 'e')

Oh yeah, and pirates suck.... wait, why are they pirates? Do they sink ships for the lulz?