UE3 New Features Video In HD

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
You might recall seeing the video about the new Unreal Engine 3 features that were showcased at GDC. Well now you can watch the video in high definition via youtube:

We also have the video in full quality available for download at fileworks.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
Looks pretty amazing. They're really streamlining the map making process. I also love how they took a page from Valve and introduced the feature to fine tune maps by color coding where deaths occur, where firefights take place, etc. That is a great feature and really enhances the way you can tweak a map. Valve has used that sort of tech with TF2 and Left4Dead with pretty amazing results. Some of their maps are are perfectly balanced because they've went back and modified them to remove trouble areas. Nice to see this sort of feature in the Unreal engine. I also really like how they've added a distributed computing client for the lighting system. For the average home user isn't not too useful, but I'm sure development houses will love having fast rebuild times.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
For the average home user isn't not too useful, but I'm sure development houses will love having fast rebuild times.
It took half an hour to build the lighting on CTF-Face on my PC. x.x

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
i doubt we'll see it in this UT. maybe in the next one. i think this would be a bit heavy to just patch it into the current version - even if you're just talking about the editor changes.

Probably won't see it, but Valve has been back-porting Source engine enhancements from L4D into TF2. They also did this with Half-Life 2 on the Orange Box for the 360.

Jazz

Oct 22, 2008
Russia, St. Petersburg
Nice to see they added global illumination. Sad that demo has no comparison with and w/o Unreal Lightmass, the effect could be stronger.

One more step forward to photorealism :)

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
How can they render GI in real-time, when it takes much longer to render just a simple scene in 3D Studio Max, with simple GI.