Silent Mantas

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I must have some technical issue then because I put my phones on and everything and I can hear the whirring of the hoverboard more than I can ever hear a manta.

Last night I got pretty annoyed when I spawned, heard a dude fill up on the locker behind me, but I what I didn't hear was the manta which was right behind us and pancaked the both of us. D::mad::mad:
Picking up a weapon sound > than engine sound? :(

That machine has two bloody great rotors on it - it needs to be loud!

And it's limited to the Manta too... because I can hear Raptors, Cicadas, Viper and even the Nightshade just fine. :(

LANCE.xd

Flak Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
The Countdown Node
Man, I still remember the manta's sounds from the UT2004 demo. That thing was like a lawnmower! Then they switched it out with the quiet one that we all know and love hate in the retail version.

They should put that back in. Like you, I don't notice a huge difference in the Manta's engine sounds after the patch.

WildmouseX

Mar 30, 2004
are you taking in the doppler effect? the soundwave are compressed close to the front of moving vehicles, so you don't hear it till it's close.

also too if they are getting way above you they can line a good squish from a long distence.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
I also have not noticed any change in audibility of anything. I wonder what particular settings might be causing others to hear things better.

doppler effect.... the soundwave are compressed close to the front of moving vehicles, so you don't hear it till it's close.
Um... no

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I can't hear **** in this game. Retarded sound engine. I slid all my sliders to 1 and the menu is still a mass of WHOOOOOOOOOOOSH sounds that shake my headphones and in game the ambient noise is deafening. Ugh.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
well i guess the feeling is relative, i do hear them now, where i didnt before, so they definitely did something there. but by the time you hear it, your dead anyway (pancaked!) so maybe a lil louder/sooner would have been perfect, but it is much improved. and i sukc at vehicles anyway so maybe its just me ;)

LANCE.xd

Flak Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
The Countdown Node
Though while the Mantas still seem pretty quiet as they try to run you over, it seems that the impact hammer's EMP works much more effectively against them now. I actually use it a lot when flag/orb running.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
The impact hammer alt fire is severely underrated. It can save your arse against Mantas.

Sos_your_face

how you become manta?
Dec 8, 2008
S. Florida
www.clan-bge.com
are you taking in the doppler effect? the soundwave are compressed close to the front of moving vehicles, so you don't hear it till it's close.

While it's impressive that you're familiar with the doppler effect, it's just not applicable to this situation. UT3 doesn't use representations of sound waves to calculate sound, just like games don't use ray tracing to produce lighting. PCs just aren't powerful enough to do real time calculations like those yet, although I'm sure at some point in the future we'll see it. Sound volume is determined strictly by the distance from the source.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Vehicles all still sound pretty quiet. It sounds kind of weird when someone is firing artillery, and there are other vehicles around. The mortar fire is the only sound that carries over distance for some strange reason, everything else you need to be standing next to to hear.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
I should try EMP again, never had any luck with it vs Mantas before. Though I've always wondered whether that's related to playing with a 100 ping; maybe the velocity of the vehicle is too high for the server to register the IH hit in time.

doppler doesn't affect the volume of a sound, only the pitch. The vehicle might sound higher as it approaches (don't know how faithfully UE reproduces this though tbh), but it shouldn't sound any quieter.