PDA

View Full Version : UT3 Black Free on Steam This Weekend, 40% Off

Sir_Brizz
5th Mar 2009, 01:43 PM
Steam is offering UT3 Black (http://store.steampowered.com/app/13210/) (UT3 + v2.0 patch + Titan Pack expansion) for FREE (as a trial, not forever) this weekend, and for 40% off until March 15th. That's a measly $11.99 for you US folks! If you don't have the game yet, there is no better time to pick it up than now! And, why not try it free before you buy it?

evilmrfrank
5th Mar 2009, 01:56 PM
omfg, people would have to be crazy not to take advantage of that :D :D :D

shoptroll
5th Mar 2009, 01:57 PM
Heh everyone must've just noticed this. I sent a news report in like 2 minutes ago...

Good to see Epic is going nuts promoting this. No wonder they aren't pushing out a new demo immediately :)

Mozi
5th Mar 2009, 02:12 PM
I copied this post into an email and sent to everyone at work.

spindoctor
5th Mar 2009, 02:16 PM
just bought this a few minutes ago. nice deal :)

Miker
5th Mar 2009, 02:29 PM
Awesome news, I'm sure at its lower price the people that played during the free weekend will be very tempted to pick it up.

toniglandyl
5th Mar 2009, 03:07 PM
A friend of mine is trying to remember his paypal password to buy the game at the moment. Great move, EPIC ! :-)

GreatEmerald
5th Mar 2009, 03:34 PM
Eff yeah! I might get it too!

Wowbagger
5th Mar 2009, 03:35 PM
Ok, im trying to buy this for a friend as a gift but it says he already owns the game.
Im 100% sure he doesnt.
Could it be that Steam "Thinks" he has the game just because its free this weekend?

StreetPreacher
5th Mar 2009, 03:40 PM
Great move, of course. But I wish they'd gone for the $4.99 price point like Bioshock did a while back. That was insane. Or they could make it $4.99 from now until the free play weekend expires, and then $12 for the rest of the month. Maybe throw in the $20 Unreal Deal too (for all Unreal games).

I'll have to dig for the link, but I saw comments from Gabe Newell recently where he talked about the insane volume that they get when they discount games, and it seemed very disproportional to the discounts.

Edit: Found it (http://www.edge-online.com/features/valve-are-games-too-expensive). It's a VERY interesting read if you haven't seen it already.

FTA:Discounting games does not only increase unit sales--it increases actual revenues. During the 16-day sale window over the holidays, third-parties were given a choice as to how severely they would discount their games. Those that discounted their games by 10 percent saw a 35% uptick in sales--that's dollars, not units. A 25 percent discount meant a 245 percent increase in sales. Dropping the price by 50 percent meant a sales increase of 320 percent. And a 75 percent decrease in the price point generated a 1,470 percent increase in sales.

So a 75% price cut generated a 1,470% increase in sales by dollar value? Some very simple math will tell you that's an increase in units sold of just under 6,000%, or 60 times the current rate. I'm tellin ya Epic; sell the thing for $4.99. At least for the free weekend.

StreetPreacher
5th Mar 2009, 03:43 PM
Ok, im trying to buy this for a friend as a gift but it says he already owns the game.
Im 100% sure he doesnt.
Could it be that Steam "Thinks" he has the game just because its free this weekend?
Go to his Steam ID page and click "View all <x number> games" under his gameplay stats. This will show you everything that he truly owns via Steam.

Kaleena
5th Mar 2009, 03:52 PM
Bought it a few mins minutes too early on steam, for 20 D: Fail.

GreatEmerald
5th Mar 2009, 04:07 PM
Checked, and yes, this is as cheap as it can get today.
All steam servers are busy now :( Seems everyone wants free UT3.

Wowbagger
5th Mar 2009, 04:15 PM
Go to his Steam ID page and click "View all <x number> games" under his gameplay stats. This will show you everything that he truly owns via Steam.

Ive checked and it seems all Steam users "own" UT3 this weekend.
Correct me if im wrong but if im wrong how the hell can i buy it?

shoptroll
5th Mar 2009, 04:30 PM
Buy it on Monday? The sale price is good until the 15th...

GreatEmerald
5th Mar 2009, 05:29 PM
By the way, is "Unreal Tournament 3 Black" an official title for it? If yes, then why won't they release it to stores?
And are anyone else getting the same "Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request" error?
And I've noticed that UT3 is now even cheaper than UT2004 on steam :D

Ektophase
5th Mar 2009, 05:38 PM
agree,good move. I'm guessing the servers will be heavily populated this weekend. --Be sure and let the noobs get a few kills now ;).

Dark Pulse
5th Mar 2009, 07:51 PM
By the way, is "Unreal Tournament 3 Black" an official title for it? If yes, then why won't they release it to stores?
And are anyone else getting the same "Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request" error?
And I've noticed that UT3 is now even cheaper than UT2004 on steam :D

Yes, it is, apparently.
Because they aren't. Their publisher can't afford it anyhow. :rolleyes:
Several people are. Not me, fortunately. :p
Good, maybe it'll encourage a few people. :p

GreatEmerald
6th Mar 2009, 08:17 AM
2. Oh, right, that makes perfect sense :)
3. Today it still does it, but continues downloading in the background, so it's just like a timeout error. Already 4% done :)

GreatEmerald
7th Mar 2009, 02:25 AM
Hmm, now my steam says "Updating 0%" instead of "Downloading". Why is that? Is the patch considered to be not a part of the full download?

Dark Pulse
7th Mar 2009, 03:23 AM
It is. I think you're just having a slight hiccup.

toniglandyl
7th Mar 2009, 03:35 AM
I've been "updating" for 2 hours now this morning (I already patched and added the pack through an external mirror).
it seems that steam still patches the game, even though I already did it.

GreatEmerald
7th Mar 2009, 03:58 AM
12%... At this rate I will only be able to play UT3 B tomorrow, provided that the download itself is complete.

toniglandyl
7th Mar 2009, 05:01 AM
well it's done and it's very fun against bots :D

for some reason, I don't see any servers in the server browser...

GreatEmerald
7th Mar 2009, 11:00 AM
Arrgh!! It got to 56%, then it froze, and back to 0%, and the server now gives me nothing more than 10 KB/s. Guess I'm doomed.
So, can anyone actually tell me if the performance has improved since the Beta Demo, and if the options now do anything? I don't know if I need to update my PC or to use the deal and get UT3 now... Knowing that I already have 4GB of data downloaded...

Leo(T.C.K.)
7th Mar 2009, 11:27 AM
Arrgh!! It got to 56%, then it froze, and back to 0%, and the server now gives me nothing more than 10 KB/s. Guess I'm doomed.
So, can anyone actually tell me if the performance has improved since the Beta Demo, and if the options now do anything? I don't know if I need to update my PC or to use the deal and get UT3 now... Knowing that I already have 4GB of data downloaded...

The performance has improved, mostly in previous patches, but patch 2.0 can be bit heavier perhaps and I had problems with it.

toniglandyl
7th Mar 2009, 03:23 PM

when it restarts from 0%, the things that you already downloaded are still there. it's just that the % starts back from 0. for instance, if you took 4 hours to get from 0% to 80% and it goes back to 0%, then it will take 1 hour to go up to 100%

GreatEmerald
7th Mar 2009, 03:53 PM
Yea, figured that out :) 3 hours to go. Strangely, the only server that works for me is Philippines...