UE2 - UT2kX Quick question Physics Volumes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hieloco

Jan 22, 2008
San Salvador, El Salvador
Hi!

I'm trying to make a terrain in UT 2004 where a part of it is ice and the rest is normal ground. I want to have vehicles experience less friction in the ice portion.

I set up a physics volume over it and set the ground friction parameter to 0.25. The volume works perfect; when the player is on foot, he slides like if on skates. However, I am not really sure if the car (the scorpion) is actually experiencing less friction.

So my question is if the car is being affected by the groundFriction parameter, and if not, how can I go about affecting the car's friction for that specific area?

Thanks!

Eduardo

Last edited:

Apophis3d

Lord Apophis
Jan 22, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.apophis3d.net
I am not sure if vehicles are even sensed by the volumes in UT2k4 its been awhile since I have worked with it.

If they are it is possible vehicles have a different traction settings that a player on foot.

Have you tried setting the ground friction to something really extreme just to test to see if the scorpion is affected?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I don't think vehicles are affected by volume friction settings. Karma is too different from regular Unreal physics for that.
Your best bet would be figuring out, which vehicle variable controls wheel friction and create a custom volume that modifies exactly that variable.

hieloco

Jan 22, 2008
San Salvador, El Salvador
Ahh ok! OK, so I will ask a friend who is a coder if he can make a simple subclass of a volume that does that.

Thanks a lot for your quick response guys! Now I know which direction to take with this; you have saved me some big headaches! :D

Last edited: