UT3 Titan Pack in Escapist Show

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Sweet. I saw some TP footage in there, is that from a trailer I've missed or is it not out yet? The melee stomp looks awesome, assuming that's what it is.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah, bringing new content to your community is a good way to show you still care about your product. however it almost sounds like if Steve and Epic are expecting for a revival by the way he talked.

The only revival solution I see right now is a whole new UT, that looks and play differently.
People were already brought down with this look.

However congratulation on the efforts made, and above all congratulation for steam alliance.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
however it almost sounds like if Steve and Epic are expecting for a revival by the way he talked.

It's called PR... Would you be more inclined to check it out if he was like "well we're not really sure if this will really get people to play again. Maybe they will. But with stuff out there like COD, TF2, L4D... we're really not top dog anymore".

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
What's wrong with the way it looks and plays?

There's always something about the game that always pulls me off, I doubt I talk alone here, but anyway, first of all by the way it looks, they have implemented a feature where the characters are glowing sticks by-range, it just looks awful, they also done that to Gears of War 2, the industry should never do that, even UT comp feels better IMO. No I don't have the UI in mind, just the way they designed the game just doesn't suit the whole way I've seen Unreal Tournament after all these years I've played it.

The way it plays is nowhere near in the middle of say, the first UT and UT2004. UT2004 being the "Keep my distance hitscan game" that had this "GODLY" feel to it, where you could determine either a player was experienced or not. While a game like UT3 has uber detailed, darkish level design that takes away that whole good feeling UT2004 had. The sniper is now useless and now the rocket launcher is way up top along the Flak and ETC.

Seems like Vehicles was the whole focus of that game
I still play the game though, it's fun once in a while, I'm also willing to download the titan pack at will, but I really doubt to ever go back online.

You asked so I replied. :)

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
It's called PR... Would you be more inclined to check it out if he was like "well we're not really sure if this will really get people to play again. Maybe they will. But with stuff out there like COD, TF2, L4D... we're really not top dog anymore".

"Again, what we’re doing is recognizing that a lot of people play our game offline and giving them something that’s worth buying." -JM

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
There's always something about the game that always pulls me off, I doubt I talk alone here, but anyway, first of all by the way it looks, they have implemented a feature where the characters are glowing sticks by-range, it just looks awful, they also done that to Gears of War 2, the industry should never do that, even UT comp feels better IMO. No I don't have the UI in mind, just the way they designed the game just doesn't suit the whole way I've seen Unreal Tournament after all these years I've played it.

The way it plays is nowhere near in the middle of say, the first UT and UT2004. UT2004 being the "Keep my distance hitscan game" that had this "GODLY" feel to it, where you could determine either a player was experienced or not. While a game like UT3 has uber detailed, darkish level design that takes away that whole good feeling UT2004 had. The sniper is now useless and now the rocket launcher is way up top along the Flak and ETC.

I don't think they could win on the "glow-stick" thing. The competitve community clamoured for it. That you like UT Comps method of dealing with it is a matter of opinion. I thought it was a reasonable compromise, myself.

What is "the whole good feeling"? The Sniper isn't useless, but it isn't dominant either. In the end though, some weapon has to come out on top and it's generally considered to be the Rocket Launcher. You don't seem to like that, but it doesn't make it bad.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
There's always something about the game that always pulls me off, I doubt I talk alone here, but anyway, first of all by the way it looks, they have implemented a feature where the characters are glowing sticks by-range, it just looks awful

Yes, indeed! I was absolutely horrified when I first saw it, especially in team games. I can tell you right now that if someone hadn't made a mutator (Teamskin & Brightskin Control) to disable this insult to good taste, I would have stopped playing this game long ago. It's all fine & dandy that the 'competitive', lol-I'm-shooting-bouncing-colorful-blobs-with-invisible-weapons crowd got their glowstick thing, but this should have been a MUTATOR that specifically has to be enabled, not a fixed 'feature'. Seriously, wtf!? :mad:

Anyway, apart from the above (and of course numerous UI issues etc.), I simply don't like the GoW style washed out, grungy, overbloomed look. It's just depressing compared to UT99's dreamy gothicness, and 2K4's happy, cartoonish colorfulness.

Furthermore, I don't like the whole half-assed campaign thing; just give us some cool, colorful, varied characters to play with, and some crazy, unique arenas to play in. Slap on a basic backstory about some guys participating in a Tournament, and you're done. THAT is UT, imo.

I'm not gonna whine about the weapons, though, as those are mostly fine, and certainly better than 2K4's, which are frickin horrible. :) It would be a good idea though to take a clue from Ballistic Weapons, and expand the arsenal with both real world weapons and (more) over the top sci-fi stuff. Oh, and better gore; if GoW can have crazy gore, why not UT3? It's not like it's meant for a different age group.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
I can tell you right now that if someone hadn't made a mutator (Teamskin & Brightskin Control) to disable this insult to good taste, I would have stopped playing this game long ago.

The problem with it is the way it modifies the player pawn, and thus conflicts with other mutators. I can't, for example, use MoveXMP with it. As far as I know, there isn't another mutator that axes the ugly skins and maintains compatibility. I have 'anti-teamskin' and 'anti-brightskin' mutators for ut2k4, and they work fine in conjunction with everything else.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
hal said:
What is "the whole good feeling"?
Interesting, I've seen lots of posts where people say that they lost motivation to play and they can't easily figure out why, or something along those lines.

I can identify what gave me that "bad feeling" in the beginning, and still would if I didn't manage to ignore, get rid or workaround all that crap. I wonder wtf this has to do with Unreal Tournament or how could someone consider that it creates a pleasant gameplay experience and atmosphere:
* desaturated (red is now pink :rolleyes:).
* more grounded than UT like contemporary shooters.
* overdone flashing red hit effects were screwing with my eyes.
* depth of field that induces tunnel vision.
* depressive and dark themes, due to excessive use of bump mapping (grungification) and post-processing with a slight blue tone.
* the Tournament is now a war. Sign of the times (for the U.S. at least)
* agressive (blood red on the UI and loading screens), unfriendly
* hard to pick by newbies, instead of being hard to master. it's clearly for the demographics that plays to "pwn" instead of playing for fun or just to win.
* the Orb made Warfare a game mode that punishes failure and promotes bashing when a newbie screws up.
* naive or censored taunts and announcements, overdone gore. Violence is fine, mild profanity is not.
* lots of military jargon, war and religious references on SP:
- Then... the war came.
- Bless my skills, O Lord
- And you want to be squad leader?
- Izanagi hired me to run Special Ops
- That 'skank' is a Necris High Inquisitor. Name's Akasha. She - handles non-military ops like the one on Twin Souls.
- He's like some nutcase on a holy war.
- This isn't war - this is slaughter. You call this calculated losses? Collateral damage?
- Every sinner shows in my sights, eventually.
- Unless you want to take on the whole Earth military
- N.E.G. shuttle three-one echo, please submit your flight plan, over.
- Three-one echo, return to dock A-SAP!

There were a few more back then, which I (fortunately) forgot

Which means that for me, UT3 is f*cked on:
- Single player, dialogs kill it.
- Tiresome, induces stress and eyestrain. Instead of creating enjoyment, it would make me feel worse than when I started!
- Low player count, people don't play because the "game looks ugly" or "is not fun", etc...
- poor online on Warfare due to the Orb and noob bashing, depending on success or failure, rants, flaming
- instead of having a truely badass feeling, it's dumb and lame (blood red, gore, but cheesy dialogs and censored taunts)
- tries to shovel politics, ideology and religion down one's throat.

Out of the box with stock settings it's both the best and the worst computer game I have ever played. And I'm not talking about bugs, but about features. I've never seen so much gold covered with so much ****.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
the characters are glowing sticks by-range, it just looks awful
This feature brought to you by whiny pro gamers everywhere. The kind that turn off every bit of graphics possible and make all their opponents into flashing signs, because that's so pro.

Benfica said:

The Orb improves warfare, not detracts from it. Noob bashing has nothing to do with the orb and everything to do with people being jerks.

Lots of games and storylines have politics and religion and whatnot "shoved down your throat." It's called telling a story. If you want a game free of politics, religion, etc, go play Tetris.

What's wrong with "military jargon?" Do you think the target audience isn't going to understand this stuff?

You complain about "naive or censored" taunts, then you say mild profanity isn't OK. (Back to carebears in wonderland?). Are you trying to say a couple curse words is the end of the world, or are you trying to say that it either needs to be there in full force or not at all, the problem is the fact that they're partially sanitized rather than eliminated or fully utilized?

By the way, ASAP is not military jargon.

Last edited:

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
The problem with it is the way it modifies the player pawn, and thus conflicts with other mutators. I can't, for example, use MoveXMP with it. As far as I know, there isn't another mutator that axes the ugly skins and maintains compatibility. I have 'anti-teamskin' and 'anti-brightskin' mutators for ut2k4, and they work fine in conjunction with everything else.

Fortunately this hasn't been a problem for me... yet, but of course Epic should have made it an option. Whoever decided to add it in permanently should be trout-slapped up & down the block, imo.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I can identify what gave me that "bad feeling" in the beginning, and still would if I didn't manage to ignore, get rid or workaround all that crap. I wonder wtf this has to do with Unreal Tournament or how could someone consider that it creates a pleasant gameplay experience and atmosphere
What the **** are you smoking? Allow me to discombobulate your post:
* desaturated (red is now pink :rolleyes:).
* more grounded than UT like contemporary shooters.
* overdone flashing red hit effects were screwing with my eyes.
* depth of field that induces tunnel vision.
* depressive and dark themes, due to excessive use of bump mapping (grungification) and post-processing with a slight blue tone.
* the Tournament is now a war. Sign of the times (for the U.S. at least)
* agressive (blood red on the UI and loading screens), unfriendly
* hard to pick by newbies, instead of being hard to master. it's clearly for the demographics that plays to "pwn" instead of playing for fun or just to win.
* the Orb made Warfare a game mode that punishes failure and promotes bashing when a newbie screws up.
* naive or censored taunts and announcements, overdone gore. Violence is fine, mild profanity is not.
* lots of military jargon, war and religious references on SP:
- Then... the war came.
- Bless my skills, O Lord
- And you want to be squad leader?
- Izanagi hired me to run Special Ops
- That 'skank' is a Necris High Inquisitor. Name's Akasha. She - handles non-military ops like the one on Twin Souls.
- He's like some nutcase on a holy war.
- This isn't war - this is slaughter. You call this calculated losses? Collateral damage?
- Every sinner shows in my sights, eventually.
- Unless you want to take on the whole Earth military
- N.E.G. shuttle three-one echo, please submit your flight plan, over.
- Three-one echo, return to dock A-SAP!

• Red is not pink. Ever.
  • The hit effects are nice. They provide visual feedback, and likely can be disabled within the INI options if you don't like it.
  • Depth of field is about the only remotely legit complaint that is here, but it doesn't screw with me that much, and I'm practically one-eyed for all intents and purposes. Learn to adjust or wear some glasses. Or disable it, if you don't mind things looking a bit bland.
  • The grungification is an improvement compared to 2kx's ultra-sterilized look. Dark and gritty is what more players wanted, and it's what they got. Now you're going to complain about it?
  • The fact that the SP is a war has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Including real-life events. Quit trying to find "justifications" for your weak arguements. It's a war because it'd make for better SP, rather than "Hey, you moved up in a ladder, kill these guys now."
  • "Aggressive and Unfriendly?" What do you want, fields of poppies and happy little trees painted by Bob Ross? It's a bloodsport. It should look like a bloodsport. The loading movies can be disabled if you hate them that much, and the UI is now a black-blue as of Patch 2.0.
  • I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. UT has always been a newbie-unfriendly game, but the most populous gametypes are the ones where they can actually kill people - VCTF and Warfare. Of course, nobody "good" will play them, since tanks one-shotting a pro is "lame" and "stupid". As opposed to, you know, strategizing to take out the tank without it hitting you?
  • The Orb actually made Warfare more competitive. In 2k4, on Torlan if your prime node went down and the enemy got every node up, the battle was essentially over for the team whose prime went down. With a trained team, this could be done in under 90 seconds FLAT. In UT3, they changed the links a bit and the Orb can actually make it possible to hold the node long enough to mount a comeback. The Orb increases competitivity, not decreases.
  • Really? So I guess you missed Jester shouting "I don't want that **** in my hair!" then? There's swearing. And one of the things I like the most about UT3 is the gore. At least people explode into gibs again, rather than leaving most of their torso and their thighs no matter how bad of a shot they took.
  • See above for my explanation on how you "tried" to tie the SP into modern-day events. It applies here as well. And it fits the story for them to use warlike jargon, considering the SP is based... wait for it... around a war!!!
Seriously... most of your complaints are of the incredibly stupid variety, and mostly **** not worth bitching over. Some of them are flat-out WRONG!

Take advice from this man...
chopper3.jpg

...and harden the **** up.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
um k ... broluv to all yas, but as opinion-bashing goes that was a bit OTT rude, however much I may agree with the counterpoints on substance.

There is something to be said for others' views even if I disagree ... I can see cultures less bellicose than ours having appreciated that the look of UT2004 was more cartoonish and fanstastical, and how that design had a particular appeal as a result. If a person finds UT3 too gritty and warlike at first, would I still suggest they buck up and deal and learn to enjoy it nonetheless? Yes, but fwiw I can understand where they might be coming from.