Wireless Internet Problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

twisteH

Feb 17, 2009
Hi guys, since I got my wireless internet, i've had problems with UT - however all my other games and xbox live have been excellent, so i've deduced that the problem must be related to UT, especially since the game is so old now. However, it is quite a unique problem: at 30 TickRate, I get a low ping, and that's fine - however, every few mins i get timeouts. Now, I tested it at 60 TickRate to see if it also occurred there, however, I get a low ping and no timeouts. So it's a very strange problem and it must be something connected to UT... if anyone has any ideas that would be excellent, i'm guessing I must have to modify something in the UT files?

Cheers! :)

Last edited:

twisteH

Feb 17, 2009
I have no idea. But whenever the server I play on is set a 60 TickRate I get no dc's, while if the server is set at 30, I do get dc's.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Tickrate is, roughly speaking, how many "frames per second" the server runs at. A 30 tick server would update player actions, movements, etc. 30 times a second.

While it is possible that a slower tick might cause more problems, it actually shouldn't since your client is sending *LESS* data with the slower tickrate. If anything, you should be getting dropped more from the 60s.

Try moving your router a bit closer to your computer system. Make sure nobody's walking past it while you game, make sure it is clear of debris, etc. etc. sensational so forth. I doubt it's a UT problem.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Aah, tickrate of host computers! Well, that's something you can't really change... More tickrate usually means it's easier to hit enemies, that's it (some people even tend to say that more tickrate = no skillz :p ). And what do you actually call timeouts? Packet loss, disconnect, "Bad connection" icon? What does your Stat Net tell you?

twisteH

Feb 17, 2009
By timeouts I mean the connection freezing for a couple of seconds and then play resuming. This seems to happen every 30 seconds or so. And my router is very close to the PC, in fact just below it.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
By timeouts I mean the connection freezing for a couple of seconds and then play resuming. This seems to happen every 30 seconds or so. And my router is very close to the PC, in fact just below it.
After thinking for awhile, your problem is likely Netspeed-related. "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]If you notice a performance loss during Internet play, for example, the characters are not updated every frame and appear to skip, there is a long delay between the moment when you press the fire key and the moment where the projectile is coming out, or if you shoot and nothing happen, or you suddenly "teleport" to a different location, that means there is a problem with your connection. Most of the time it's just some lag and there is nothing to do about it except finding a new server, but sometimes the server can be overloaded and you're asking more information than it can provide (your netspeed is too high), so reducing it might improve performance significantly. For example if you're in ISDN and playing with a 5000 netspeed (the default for the ISDN setting), and if you start to experience some skipping, you might try to lower you netspeed to 4500 or 4000."[/FONT]

Open up the console and type stat net in it and hit enter. That'll bring up your connection info. Pay careful attention to the Ping, Packet Loss, and Netspeed sections. You might try lowering the Netspeed (Type netspeed xxxx in the console where xxxx is a value) to improve performance, at the cost of sending less data.

Also, make sure you're setting appropriate speeds for your connection. Open the Preferences menu & in the Network tab select your connection type as appropriate, e.g. Modem, LAN, etc.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]