Custom loading screens and disabling intro videos

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
The usual "use at your own risk" stuff applies.

This thread had me curious, so I poked around a bit with the bink encoder and sure enough - UT3 is quite content with homebrew bink videos.
I went ahead and put together a quick one frame of blackness for those who are wishing to disable the intros and loading screens, you can get it here at a whopping 264 bytes.

Go to ~\unreal tournament 3\UTGame\Movies, backup the files you wish to replace (they all have obvious names), and copy as many instances as needed of the black.bik file there while obviously renaming it to the original files' names.

I also threw together a super quick powerup respawn times chart (preview) for myself, since I'm horrible at remembering them.
Lastly I did a street fighter loading screen pack since I'm going through an SF phase (sue me) and just wanted to see how the quality turned out if I encoded pics 1:1 to my resolution. Previews here: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]

Let me know how it works out, I'm not sure what happens if you try running them on other aspect ratios. These are 16:10.

Sos_your_face

how you become manta?
Dec 8, 2008
S. Florida
www.clan-bge.com
The intro videos can be disabled via .ini files and also through command line.

Command line:
"C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" -nostartupmovies

Ini file:
Open My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\UTEngine.ini
Use semicolon to comment out the movies like this:
[FullScreenMovie]
;StartupMovies=Copyright_PC
;StartupMovies=EpicLogo
;StartupMovies=MidwayLogo
;StartupMovies=UE3_logo
;StartupMovies=Nvidia_PC
;StartupMovies=Intel_Duo_Logo
;StartupMovies=UT_loadmovie1

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Nice artwork on the screens. Did you draw/paint those?

Nah, they're just a random mix of official and random ones from 5 minutes of googling. The inky outline ones are official promotional art for SF4.

I made the powerup timer chart though!

Sweet, didn't know about the inis. That's a much easier way to do it.
I don't suppose it's possible to rewrite the loading protips?

I just deleted the intro videos. Works fine. :)

I tried that at first (as well as just making empty .bik files) but ut3 crashed on me then :(

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I don't suppose it's possible to rewrite the loading protips?
UT Install Directory/UTGame/Localization/INT (assuming you're running English language)/UTGameUI.int, or if you're using an alternate language (e.g; DEU, ESP) that will be the extension.

Sections:

[LoadingHints_UTDeathmatch]
[LoadingHints_UTOnslaughtGame]
[LoadingHints_UTVehicleCTFGame]
[LoadingHints_UTCTFGame]
[LoadingHints_UTTeamGame]

If you add hints, be sure to update the Hint_Count parameter at the end of each section.