RAM voltage settings

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I noticed last night when rebooting my system that my RAM voltage was ~2.73V when the RAM is spec'd at 2.6V. The mobo was set to "auto" for the voltage, so I figured it would determine what the correct voltage is supposed to be. The main reason I'm asking is that I've always had intermittent stability issues with my current system, and didn't notice this until recently. Would a difference of 0.1-0.15 V really throw a system out of whack? I'm not OC'ing anything on the system.

Anyways, upon discovering this I immediately set the RAM voltage to 2.6V in the BIOS.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
At this point I'm just trying to get the system stable enough so I can feel confident that when it gets passed on to another family member that I won't have to take calls on a weekly basis because it BSOD'd on them while doing routine functions. I'll look into the CPU-Z thing though, it sounds like it might be a nice piece of software for the toolkit.

EDIT: Ran the CPU-Z tool. It reports 2.5 V on all the chips which is still lower than the manufacturer spec...

I can get a better tRAS value, but that requires dropping the cycles down to 166 MHz from 200 MHz. I doubt it's worth it.

So, who to believe?

Last edited: