UE3 - UT3 Full Custom Character question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

amightydino

Jan 25, 2009
Chicago
My team and I are working on a full mod using UT3, and I've got several questions for which I just can't seem to find satisfactory answers. I apologize in advance if this has been answered many times: I'm probably not searching for the correct terms. I want to import full custom character models: many limbed creatures and quadrupeds for example. If I make a quadruped, do I need a head, torso, arms, legs, and boots meshes? What about for a 6 armed, 6 legged creature? I know I will have to create full custom anims, but I have no idea how to approach the meshes. I read somewhere that I could possibly import only one mesh, marked only as the head, although that carries certain issues with it.... Haven't seen anything else about that technique though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-edit-

If that was vague, let me use a more specific example. Say I want to put a dog in the game: torso and head I can see, and the front legs could be arms, but would I have to break the back legs mesh in half, with the bottom half labeled as boots? And what about the tail? Part of the torso with an animated bone or would it need to be labeled as facemask or helmet? And if it were some form of demon dog with a tentacle coming off the left and right sides of its torso, would these need to be labeled as shoulder pads? Or can I just make whatever I want, labeled however I want, animated however I want, and import that? If so, is there a tut out there for non-humanoid meshes being imported? I'm guessing some form of coding will be neccassary, but I'm not sure how to even approach the issue.

Last edited:

DazJW

Mar 25, 2008
If you're using a custom rig (which you would be if you're making something that doesn't fit the Epic ones) in a "full mod" you shouldn't need to use the split parts as they're for the custom character screen's mix and match system.