UT on Windows 7?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
A buddy of mine installed the new Microsoft operating system beta called Windows 7. He then installed UT and said it played well. He then tried to install a few UMODS and all of them failed with similar errors to what you get when you install UT and then move it to a different folder and then try to use a UMOD. Windows wants to associate a program to the UMOD. He insists that he did not move UT from C:\UnrealTournament which is where he installed it to. Any ideas?

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Might be a wild guess but sounds like something in the registry got messed up. (Don't know how Win 7 does registries now)

You could try to find a UT Registry Fix program to see if that might work...

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Make sure he runs umods with administrative rights (right click Run As Administrator or start the UMOD installation from Administrator Command Prompt.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
OK

OK I have heard the suggestion and will pass it on to him. He said he copied the old original UT folder into and over his newest one and everything started working right. So he has his old UT in his new registered UT location and it works.

I agree. I think he did something wrong in the first place and screwed the pooch during install. His solution worked but it isn't the way I suspect we would do it ourselves. Thanks all.

Franko

Jul 25, 2001
Ohio
Visit site
Personal experience:

If I installed and updated from my original UT CD, umods wouldn't be a problem, but Anthology install causes umod screwups.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Tried

I have not had him try the suggestions yet but he alerted me that even after installing his old copy over the new one he was NOT able to run umods. He said it had worked before to me becasue all of the files he needed from the umods where already installed and thus were working. So what I'm saying here is that if he tries to run a UMOD now it still doesn't work. He said it did work because the umods had alreay installed all of the files he had needed when he was able to run them before in his previous version of windows which he copied into and over his new version in Windows 7. Blah blah blah.

I'll point him to this and let him do what he wants. Thanks all!

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
he has to make the installer recognize the format. I think Skillz had a tutorial on how to do it manually.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I have Win7 too. But I barely use it now, as UT2004's UnrealEd totally doesn't work. UnrealEd2 works only with Software Mode, not D3D, so that's also not good.

However, I think that installing a DirectX redistributable might solve the issues... Looks like MS forgot to add some old DirectX files.