UE3 - UT3 Powerup Timings

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Hi fellow mappers

Im my new level "stratus" I have allot of power ups.. more then what I think would be the norm. I have a berserk and a Udamage per base. now its a smallish map so i would like to double the timings of these pickups so they spawn less often.. i know in the old versions of UT the editor allowed you to do this, but the pickup properties have no such thing in UT3 editor. anyone know a way to delay the pickups spawn rate.?

I may even set them to spawn only for the losing team... doesn't matter I would just like to set up something to spawn the power up at the pick up factory when i tell it to.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
I think there's still a variable to set this, but it's just not availble in the editor. You need to use UScript to create a subclass of the powerup and change the default respawn time on your custom subclassed version (don't know what the variable name is though, so you'll need to look it up in the corresponding source file).

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
hmmm although I am familiar with a number of programming languages. With unreal i have never looked into it. except for in UE for UT1 because you were able to view and edit script for things. But UE for UT3 seems a bit more complected. It doesnt seem to have a script editor that I can see. Anyway no matter.. I dont have time to get into that, Ill think of something else..

Thanks for the post :)

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
kismeit does have an actor property where it can spawn the actor much like how it is on DM-steamtemple but this functions as a power up that has been dropped.. and would disappear if not picked up.. i tried setting the pickup factory as the target but it just drops the power up there then disappears in a short while... the factory still spawns its own power up anyway.. im not sure if there is anything else in kismet to control the factory.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Hi again.. I think my problem is my knowledge of kismit.. I was adding an enforcer pickup to my level.. but I didnt understand why mine had no pickup sound but steamtemple did.. turns out hes added the sound with kismit... now perhaps if i understand how this works I may be able to fugure out a way to delay the spawn time???

first... I have no Idea what an instigator is. but it seems to be stopping the bool being set to faulse while the pickup is not available... Yes?

does this help anyone think of a solution?

actorinstqo9.jpg

I think this is the hard way... he could have selected the factory and added a status change where it would play on the "Taken" action... anyway.. can anyone confirm if this instigator thing will allow me to control the timing of the factory spawns

I guess it would only help me tell if the pickup is available not much else? this seems impossible such a simple thing I want to do.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The Instigator is whoever caused the action. So you can see that the event is attached to the instigator, or whoever touched the weapon factory.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
dam so the insergator isnt going to help me then..

I think ill move on to a new Idea. if I get time.. when I finish... ill make these big planet cannon like things that will shoot the power up into position, that may be to much work for me... i really wanted to use a factory though.

thanks anyway everyone.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't know everything about Kismet, but can't you just set a property when the level loads on the pickupbase to increase the spawn timer?

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Ummz you cant use an archtype of the factory for this? Pretty sure you should be able to change the spawn time on the archtype of a factory...

Edit: nvm I was assuming the spawntime was in the factory properties but its not, its in the inventory class properties.

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
I don't know everything about Kismet, but can't you just set a property when the level loads on the pickupbase to increase the spawn timer?

I have no idea... iv tried toggling it and turning ot off etc... iv tryed lots of kismit actions, but the factory has a mind of its own and nothing i do affects it.

Ummz you cant use an archtype of the factory for this? Pretty sure you should be able to change the spawn time on the archtype of a factory...

Edit: nvm I was assuming the spawn time was in the factory properties but its not, its in the inventory class properties.

yeah i tryed that, hoping that I would be able to adjust something

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
what if:

a. destroy powerup after its «normal» respawn time, spawn next time;
b. place it on lift or behind door or something like that.