PDA

View Full Version : UE3 - Other Bug fixes worthy of purchasing updated version?

Aunt Sponge
12th Dec 2008, 02:33 PM
(specificaly - Old version of UED3 - UT2004)

I've been mapping for years - all indoor settings - with UE3. It handles indoor demands just fine, never a problem.
But I finally decided to add on terrain and everything is trash - problems i've never had before like sudden death syndrome and terrain ditching during mapping.

So I'm thinking that since my version is so old, anyway, I'm just missing out on some cool stuff and I've read that the newer version has a more updated and bug-free scripting and function with far more attention to terrain bliss.

So I'm, also, gather that the newer version is cleaned up and fumigated. Is this a safe assumption? (though I know sds isn't necessarily a mapping bug but the terrain ditching when you build into it is as well as spike smoothing if you're painting with textures on a height map)

Would these three problems be mostly null if I step up?

*edit* - alright, there, done, I bought UT3 - smooth sailing *tu**/edit*

Firefly
13th Dec 2008, 04:58 AM
Not sure what you mean. There was only one version of ut2k4 released.
You can patch the engine to build 3369 (http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut2004/ut2004-winpatch3369.exe). The next update is UT3 (then patch it to 1.3. (http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut3/ut3patch3.exe))
that is vastly updated and much more stable. Plus the terrain tools and code are much better than 2k4.
Hourences' terrain tutorials (http://help.hourences.com/tutorialsue3terrain.htm) should give you a good idea of the terrain capabilities
so, yes it's very worth it

Wormbo
13th Dec 2008, 05:48 AM
Remember: UE3 = Unreal Engine 3, UEd3 = Unreal Editor 3 (the one that comes with UE2 games like UT200x)

Firefly
13th Dec 2008, 08:52 AM
- All Versions - What do all the official abbreviations like UE1 or UED2.0 stand for?
-UE stands for Unreal Engine. UED stands for Unreal Editor. UE1 is thus not the same as UED1.
UE1 was used for Unreal and UT.
Unreal used UED1, but UT made the switch to UED2 shortly after release.
UE2 was used in UT2003 and UT2004, and the Unreal Championship games.
UT2003 and UT2004 use UnrealEd 3.0.
UE3 is used in UT3 and GOW. Its editor is nowadays simply called Unreal Editor, but would have been UED 4.0 if you would stick to the numbering.

from Hourences post (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2136678&postcount=1)

Aunt Sponge
13th Dec 2008, 09:07 AM
Sorry, I dropped the D. My version of UED3 is one of the earliest that was released when UT2K first came out.

Thanks, Firefly, that suggestion did help a bit but there are still a ton of annoying quirks. It might just be my install being on the fritz, it's so old. But it seems as if just using terrain modding trashed the program.

I know it's weird to explain - but my version is the early version that was just a partial of the current version that's available, apparently. I doubt that many of them were released because it's been hard for me to pin down some facts about these certain problems.
I had no idea until I had problems with my terrain (I've been mapping for years - so even my tutorials I used for reference were dated) ... and I came across Hourences and it made NO sense.

So I'll ditch my version and step up seeing as how they've improved things considerably. Talk about living in the stone age.

It'll be my self induldgement of the season.

Thanks for the feedback.

Vicious3745
13th Dec 2008, 11:25 AM
Sorry, I dropped the D. My version of UED3 is one of the earliest that was released when UT2K first came out.

Thanks, Firefly, that suggestion did help a bit but there are still a ton of annoying quirks. It might just be my install being on the fritz, it's so old. But it seems as if just using terrain modding trashed the program.

I know it's weird to explain - but my version is the early version that was just a partial of the current version that's available, apparently. I doubt that many of them were released because it's been hard for me to pin down some facts about these certain problems.
I had no idea until I had problems with my terrain (I've been mapping for years - so even my tutorials I used for reference were dated) ... and I came across Hourences and it made NO sense.

So I'll ditch my version and step up seeing as how they've improved things considerably. Talk about living in the stone age.

It'll be my self induldgement of the season.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ya well, you can find UT3 for 20 bucks now adays at like, WalMart. >.>; And i absolutely love the new editor. The work flow is so much smoother,

Aunt Sponge
13th Dec 2008, 01:28 PM
I was hoping for that - but I want the editor's choice eddition, which they don't have, but things aren't actually as expensive as they use to be. $30.00 for it is like stealing. My first game cost me $60.00 - oooh so long ago.

(This is what happens when you've been gaming under a rock for a decade.)

Thanks, all.

Wormbo
13th Dec 2008, 02:56 PM
Patch to UT2004 v3369 and you have the up-to-date editor.

Firefly
13th Dec 2008, 04:36 PM
no that's not true.

very different versions of the unreal engine.
try loading ut3 assets and maps into the 2k4 editor and see how alike they are.
they even look different

Wormbo
13th Dec 2008, 04:48 PM
Eh what? UT2004 and UT3 are completely different games, each with their own editor. Apart from the similar name and game concepts they are as different as UT1 and UT2003.

Firefly
13th Dec 2008, 05:03 PM
sorry my bad. I just re-read your post wormbo
I think I need sleep or put the crack pipe down
:/
I'll go and sit in the corner for a while.
:)

Aunt Sponge
14th Dec 2008, 10:29 AM
MY OP: I wrote UE3. I left out the 'd' = UED3 (Unrealed 3) ... along with the game version UT2004 (UT2k)

if i stuck the D in there then no one would be scratching their heads. Sorry bout that.