Warning: Do not use NVidia beta drivers 180.84

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
These drivers cause you to crash whenever you see a portal. Therefore, if you play a map like Deck, Gateway, Demios, etc, you will crash as soon as you see a portal.

These drivers were released to fix issues with GTA4. If you don't have GTA4 there is no reason to install them.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You're better off rolling back to the 178 series, screwing GTA4 and waiting for nVidia to release a driver that isn't broken.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
nVidia in general has better drivers than ATI, but they are also pretty crap.

For example, ATI has a setting in the control panel to disable that stupid feature that detects what resolutions your monitor supports. nVidia doesn't, so in Vista it's locked on. I was getting a whopping 800x600 on my 1280x960 monitor.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Unless your nvidia card is an 8000 series or newer, there is no reason to update beyond the 169.12 driver.

Nvidia does not fix any issues with older cards and they do not tweek the drivers for better performance. They do triage at best on the newer cards only. So, looks like it's GTX only now. The 8000 series will definitely not see any driver improvements. Likely the same deal with the high end 9000 series, only the el cheapo entry level card support on 9200, 9300, 9400 type cards.

I have no comment on ati windoze drivers. I will say the propriatary Linux driver is better than it was, which isn't really saying much. The recent Linux open source drivers only support really old ati cards, for example, FC7 + X1900XT = no X. The 700 series is supported but I have had issues with some 800 series cards. So, ati still has a bad rep with many Linux users. Again, triage mode, focus on the market where the money is.

Neither nvidia or ati make money unless folks buy new cards, so, not really much motivation to extend older video card useful lifetimes.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Unless your nvidia card is an 8000 series or newer, there is no reason to update beyond the 169.12 driver.

Nvidia does not fix any issues with older cards and they do not tweek the drivers for better performance. They do triage at best on the newer cards only. So, looks like it's GTX only now. The 8000 series will definitely not see any driver improvements. Likely the same deal with the high end 9000 series, only the el cheapo entry level card support on 9200, 9300, 9400 type cards.

I have no comment on ati windoze drivers. I will say the propriatary Linux driver is better than it was, which isn't really saying much. The recent Linux open source drivers only support really old ati cards, for example, FC7 + X1900XT = no X. The 700 series is supported but I have had issues with some 800 series cards. So, ati still has a bad rep with many Linux users. Again, triage mode, focus on the market where the money is.

Neither nvidia or ati make money unless folks buy new cards, so, not really much motivation to extend older video card useful lifetimes.

I got the 178.24 drivers for my 8800GT and they made the PhysX maps in UT3 playable still a bit sluggish but playable unliek the slideshow before...