PDA

View Full Version : Abs != Modulo

Zur
1st Dec 2008, 10:16 PM
Hi,

The description on the following wiki page is incorrect.

Modulo is the operator that is usually symbolized by % and returns the remainder when a number A is divided by a number B.

http://www.unrealwiki.com/Legacy:Global_Function_%28UT%29

float Abs (float A) [static]
Returns the absolute value (also known as the modulo) of A, usually written |A|. Eg: Abs(5) == Abs(-5) == 5.

Wormbo
3rd Dec 2008, 06:22 AM
Just change it, that's the entire point of a wiki.

Zur
30th Dec 2008, 10:36 AM
Oops, yes I guess I can do that myself :p .

P.S: The idea of wikis needs a overhaul. At the moment, you have the equivalent of a super version of wordpad with an incremental save system. What needs to be done is to make things so information is cut up into basic units that can be imported/exported/reused/combined.

Sir_Brizz
30th Dec 2008, 11:03 AM
What does that even mean...

Zur
30th Dec 2008, 12:10 PM
The function or my comments about wikis ?

Sir_Brizz
30th Dec 2008, 12:30 PM
:lol:

Zur
1st Jan 2009, 05:19 PM
Here's a quick reply to enlighten you ;) :

Abs : Absolute value or value without minus sign.
Modulo : Divides a number by another number and gives you what's left. It's a great way to test if it can be properly divided by or is a factor of something.
!= : Not equal to (but I suppose you knew that)

As for wikis, well they have some drawbacks. One of them is that they have to be managed with authority which in itself could introduce bias. Also, information is mostly managed as pages of text or subpages. This means that refactoring content can prove a pain. Also, you can't really extract pure information from a wiki like you can with a database. In short, it's the modern day equivalent of a book.

tarquin
5th Jan 2009, 03:21 AM
I can't get the wiki to load, so I can't check.
But yeah, like has been said, you can just fix the error.

I would have said the opposite about reusability. We've emphasised fairly small chunks of information for tutorials that can be used in different contexts.
And the wiki is run on top of a database, so if you really wanted to extract the data, you could :)