UE2 - UT2kX Make texture brighter

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Hi,
I want to make a certain texture a bit brighter. I don't want it to be unlit because I want it to accept additional lighting.
I tried playing with the Selfillumination settings in a Shader but I can't get it to just brighten the texture up a bit.

Can you help me?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
If you want to use SelfIllumination, but still want regular lighting to affect the texture, make sure you also apply a mostly-transparent SelfIlluminationMask. Technically speaking, SelfIllumination is an unlit texture that will be alpha-blended with the rest of the shader, using the alpha channel of SelfIlluminationMask as the blending parameter.
Another option is to use the Specular slot, possibly with a SpecularityMask. Specular is unlit as well, but applied additively.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
So as selfillumination I have to use the same texture as for diffuse and in selfillumination mask I have to use a mostly transparent texture. Just as opaque as I want the texture to brighten up, right?
I used a color material for the mask and the SI but it didn't work the way I wanted. I'll try and use the color as a mask and the diffuse texture as SI. I'll edit in the results.

EDIT: It didn't work.
Using the diffuse texture as self illumination did nothing at all and when I added the color as a self illumination mask the shader turned white in the texture browser but the surfaces in the map remained unchanged.

Last edited:

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
I tried that. In the texturebrowser the shader is considerably darker now (maybe because it doesn't show it "unlit" anymore) but on my bsp there is still no change. Not even after a rebuild.

What's even stranger is that even if I change the output blending to invisible there is no change. It changes in the texture browser. Not on my surfaces.

EDIT: I rebuilt again and it works now. Thank you, Wormbo!

Last edited:

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
It doesn't, but when I brightened up my shader it didn't appear like "unlit + 64 brighter" but like "not-lit + 64 brighter", so essentially it appeared darker than before in the browser.

Sep 24, 2005
That's pretty easy.

Make a combiner, and put the texture in one material slot and a ConstantColor in the other. Choose CO_Add in CombineOperation.