Ashura: Dark Reign, Tech Demo Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A new version of the Ashura: Dark Reign Tech Demo has been released. Play as Sonic as the playable character in two acts, featuring 6 different environments.

Below are the loading screens for each map, and at their ModDB site you can check out a video. The team is also looking for texture artists, modellers, animators, mappers, coders and sound effect creators.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
:2thumb: One of the best mods I've seen since UT2004!
Really want to know how they manage the grav at the loops.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Sonic handles like a squirrel on ice skates, but thats how he handles in the original games, so that's fine :p

Mr.CrackPot

Jul 23, 2005
rofl

I very much like the speed aspect and the overall look and feel of the levels.

The only thing I'm gonna complain about is those GODDAMNED invinci-missiles in the second level. God, most annoying thing in the world or what?!

Beyond that, I'd say think about maybe restricting where sonic can go in the levels; I'm looking forward to the next release, gj :)

SuperDre

May 6, 2002
Helmond.nl
www.superteam.tk
This looks absolutely amazing, and fun... great work.. BUT, have you got permission from SEGA to use Sonic? otherwise you could get in trouble with them if they hear about your mod.. (I hadn't heard about this mod until now, so maybe they also haven't)..

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
HOLY CRAP!! I thought it was for UT3 too! :eek:

Good god, bloody nice looking mod!!!! :)

*downloading*

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Fatal flaw in that reasoning: Those pics have color

No **** Sherlock. The UE3 have desaturation effects, you just don't need to have them on. UT3 looks like **** without desaturation. That is why people tend to use it.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
No **** Sherlock. The UE3 have desaturation effects, you just don't need to have them on. UT3 looks like **** without desaturation. That is why people tend to use it.

True, but the stock UT3 levels are desaturated to the point where they look washed out. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to just take the whole level and remove X% of the color from it. Sometimes bright colors are needed, even in a setting like that of UT3.

At any rate, this mod is really sweet. I want to see more!

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Correction, the stock UT3 maps look like **** without desaturation becuz the LDs didn't seem to give a rat's ass about lighing. I've managed to get satisfactory result using PP without any desaturation.

Xaklse

Relics freak
Sep 21, 2005
Madrid, Spain
snow.prohosting.com
TheIronKnuckle said:
Saw those pics and thought it was for UnrealEngine3.
The magic of using anti-aliasing and anisotropic filters and bloom effect :D

SuperDre said:
This looks absolutely amazing, and fun... great work.. BUT, have you got permission from SEGA to use Sonic? otherwise you could get in trouble with them if they hear about your mod.. (I hadn't heard about this mod until now, so maybe they also haven't)..
SEGA absolutely ignored us. Fortunately they don't care about putting Sonic in fangames and rom hacks -Sonic Robo Blast 2 for instance.
If they get angry we just have to replace Sonic, Robotnik, rings, and most sound effects. Everything else is Epic's or ours.

Stay on topic people, please.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
It was clear for me that this is for UT2004...because of the trailer and use of 2004 effects and sounds etc it must be clear...Also I noticed samples of one Unreal track at one track here in this trailer, I think it was Fifth or Fourth(I think this one), dunno now.......
Also I think perhaps samples of one known unreleased track.......I can hear them there, if anyone says they are not there, he's wrong...

There's gonna be one for UT3, right? Well, what about making it Jazz Jackrabbit game instead of Sonic? I was never much fan of Sonic stuff.............

Last edited: