Bloom in UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Looks like I'll have to code it myself or force someone to do it. I'm not much of coder either. ****.

If you know someone that's capable of figuring out the C++ source let me know.

Raven

Jan 17, 2004
turniej.unreal.pl
You might want to integrate it with some native classes, so you mapper could put some kind of a trigger which will turn some postprocess effect on/of.

Vagabond

Yeah, but they'd be on fire.
Well, I finally got it working. :D I'll post some pics to show the "subtle" differences. The only problem is that there are some atrocious texture errors and the inability to use S3TC textures [re- fixed]. Decide for yourself.:hmm:

Last edited:

Vagabond

Here's the first of a few files, I'll keep 'em coming. ;)

Attachments

• condemned normal1.jpg
    condemned normal1.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 151
  • condemned normal2.jpg
    condemned normal2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 114
  • condemned shader1.jpg
    condemned shader1.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 150
  • condemned shader2.jpg
    condemned shader2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 123

Vagabond

I've surmised that the strange textures might be caused by the HD S3TC texture pack. I'll have to install default UT textures to see what's what.

Attachments

• error1 missing tex.jpg
    error1 missing tex.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 92
  • error missing tex.jpg
    error missing tex.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 85
  • error3 missing skybox tex.jpg
    error3 missing skybox tex.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 78
  • condemned normal4.jpg
    condemned normal4.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 84
  • condemned shader4.jpg
    condemned shader4.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 110

Raven

Jan 17, 2004
turniej.unreal.pl
Awesome, can't wait to try it out. Keep up the good work :).

Do you plan to release sources too?? This way someone could extend it or port it into Unreal 1 227?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
You might want to integrate it with some native classes, so you mapper could put some kind of a trigger which will turn some postprocess effect on/of.

Would there be a way to swap textures with solid colours on the fly using this approach ? It would be very useful in fan movie making.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Holy bloomster!! This looks awesome! Very close to UT3! However, the contrast is a bit too big - you can't even see the wall in Sesmar outside picture, it's all white... And whoa, bumpmaps! Ownage!
But what's wrong with S3TCs then? :(

Vagabond

However, the contrast is a bit too big - you can't even see the wall in Sesmar outside picture, it's all white...
The good thing is that you can set the amount of contrast/bloom/etc in a .ini file; thus it can be tailored to suit your own taste. There are even options that allow for occlusion and depth of field (currently, both are buggy). There are other minor inconviences as well: masked textures becoming, for a lack of a better term, "unmasked"; random crashes are also an annoyance.

Attachments

• UnrealTournament 2008-11-25 17-18-59-07.jpg
    UnrealTournament 2008-11-25 17-18-59-07.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 124
  • UnrealTournament 2008-11-25 17-19-04-40.jpg
    UnrealTournament 2008-11-25 17-19-04-40.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Oh, I'm definitely interested in DOF. I wanted to modify the renderer so it would paint greyscale levels according to distance (this can be used to create dof in video editing) but I just gave up when I saw the source code. There's a lot of stuff in there I just can't figure out.

Vagabond

Epic's default S3TC textures (those that came with disk 2) work perfectly. It seems that the texture errors are caused by the High-Def S3TC texxies. Masks still a problem though...

I'll put the installation files up soon, as well as the instructions.

Last edited: