ShackNews Interview With Cliff Bleszinski

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
ShackNews managed to catch up with Cliff Blezinski - or, as the interviewer puts it, "two Cliff Blesinzkis" due to him being both CliffyB and Cliff Bleszinski - and sat down with him for a little more Gears of War 2 talk. Inside, Cliff talks about the importance of not attaching a game solely to a single person, the importance of pacing a game, and what lies ahead:

Shack: I'm sure you have ideas of what you'd want to do with a Gears 3.

Cliff Bleszinski: I have ideas about everything, man. I have other universes I want to do too. I'll tell you what we're not going to do--we're not gonna be making a Wii game, we're not going to be doing an Xbox Live game, we're not going to be doing Jazz Jackrabbit, we're not going to be doing a fucking puzzle game, and we're not going be making a Gears of War RTS. [laughs]

Every single person--nobody is sitting around Epic going, "Hey what do I do now? I've got nothing to work on." Everybody has all sorts of stuff to be doing. People are like, "Yeah, why don't you do a Gears platformer." It's like, are you high? We're all swamped, man. We're hiring as much as we can.

Do note that at a few points some small Gears of War 2 spoilers are let slip, so you might want to read carefully if you're still playing through the game.

Saist

Oct 24, 2008
... given that the Wii is hands down the first place console... and given that both Metroid Prime and Conduit have /are proven / proving that Wii can do gorgeous visuals... and that the Wii does have the best control scheme for the FPS genre...

I seriously doubt that Epic doesn't have at least one team working on bringing a Wii game to reality. I can almost see them re-working UT'99 to Wii motion controls actually.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
It's not so much that Epic hates the Wii or whatever, it probably has more to do with the fact that it doesn't fit into the business model right now what so ever. Unreal Engine 3 is really going to struggle to run well within the Wii's hardware. It requires full screen resolution pixel shading (every pixel on the screen is pixel shaded, some pixels a few times over even, depending on the scene) for a start. This is a rather demanding technique, and it only became really feasible with the advent of universal shaders from nVidia and ATi.

Going back to old technology and retooling it for a new purpose doesn't seem to fit into what Epic plans are. There is still a lot of room for Unreal Engine 3 to expand on, and to continue further iteration on. While there were 'subtle' changes from Unreal Engine 3 within Gears of War and Gears of War 2 (if you were to compare screenshots/stills you can see that there is a lot of nice improvements that have been done) there has been a lot of work behind the scenes too that you don't see immediately from the visuals. From a development standpoint, Epic is doing a really nice job focusing on tools and making them work for other companies. Thus, it seems that a lot of their efforts are going towards making Unreal Engine 3 a good choice for development teams to pick up over other engines out there ... and that's really their main business model.

I mean yeah, they're making games as well too. But with the gaps between major releases spanning two or more years, you have to keep the cash flow too.

Last edited:

KeithZG

will forever be nostalgic
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
seriously doubt that Epic doesn't have at least one team working on bringing a Wii game to reality. I can almost see them re-working UT'99 to Wii motion controls actually.

Hey, I already play Quake on the Wii; all Epic would have to do would be to open source the Unreal 1 engine and within a week or two someone would port it to the Wii. Irregardless, if they re-released UT99 for the Wii I'd snatch it up immediately; in the meantime though I've been loving eluancm's work on QuakeWii, definitely the best Wii FPS, and entirely justifies the Quake 1 data files I've been keeping around. If Epic wanted to they could either release the game themselves or allow people to do so; the fact that there's no Epic Wii game yet speaks volumes.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Unreal Engine 2.5 does work on the wii, its only too bad that a decent game wasn't made on it. Red Steel uses UE2.5, I don't know if any other games do.

irregardless is not a word btw. Just regardless works. ;)

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Water down the engine, or just 2.5 ,.. call it "Gears of Wii: Total Saturation" (of the market, not blood of course)
Unfortunately, it will take quite some work to 'water down' the engine in particular removing the pixel shader style renderer since a lot of the technology they've written revolves around how it renders the scene.

As far as I know, Epic stopped supporting Unreal Engine 2.x for a very long time now.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Like I said recently, you can call me whatever the hell you want
...except Cliffy B

Shack: I thought the credits in Gears 2 were a nice touch. [The credits feature a personalized message and photograph for each team member.]
...because Gears 2 was the first game to do that :rolleyes:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
[SAS]Solid Snake;2214587 said:
It's not so much that Epic hates the Wii or whatever, it probably has more to do with the fact that it doesn't fit into the business model right now what so ever. Unreal Engine 3 is really going to struggle to run well within the Wii's hardware. It requires full screen resolution pixel shading (every pixel on the screen is pixel shaded, some pixels a few times over even, depending on the scene) for a start. This is a rather demanding technique, and it only became really feasible with the advent of universal shaders from nVidia and ATi.

Going back to old technology and retooling it for a new purpose doesn't seem to fit into what Epic plans are. There is still a lot of room for Unreal Engine 3 to expand on, and to continue further iteration on. While there were 'subtle' changes from Unreal Engine 3 within Gears of War and Gears of War 2 (if you were to compare screenshots/stills you can see that there is a lot of nice improvements that have been done) there has been a lot of work behind the scenes too that you don't see immediately from the visuals. From a development standpoint, Epic is doing a really nice job focusing on tools and making them work for other companies. Thus, it seems that a lot of their efforts are going towards making Unreal Engine 3 a good choice for development teams to pick up over other engines out there ... and that's really their main business model.

I mean yeah, they're making games as well too. But with the gaps between major releases spanning two or more years, you have to keep the cash flow too.

That's not a business model, its a graphics model. o_O

The business model is this: In the current state of the (US) economy, if people buy anything frivolous, price point is an important consideration. people are a lot more likely to plunk down the price of a wii than the price of a ps3, no matter how much graphical ooh-ahh it has. The wii is a cash crop waiting for someone like epic to tap into. Most other companies have made SOMETHING for it. Would it kill them to do a UE2.5 game, considering that UE2.5 has been on Wii since it came out? Would it kill them to make a game with something less than their newest technology? I suppose that since UE3 is a graphics engine first and foremost (unrealscript hasn't changed a whole ton as far as I know) it's understandable, but to shoot down a console that's beating the pants off the xbox and ps3 (it's a fact, people) just because you can't put a virtual reality simulator on it is borderline retarded. Epic knows if they made something for wii, people would buy it. And isn't epic super crazy about making money? Tech tehy've already developed and can use while spending almost nothing + popular platform + fun game = PROFIT.

I understand that they're actually more about their tech now than their games. But that doesn't mean that the games they do develop can't reach as wide an audience as possible. The latest tech doesn't always sell the best. If the wii performed any better (saleswise) than the competition than it already does, sony and microsoft will be betamaxed.

(betamaxed = when your technology is made obsolete by people buying the competition's over yours despite yours being more sophisticated)

Last edited: