UE1 - UT Natural-looking UT maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vagabond

Yeah, but they'd be on fire.
I've tried using UED's tools but nothing feels... right. I'm looking to make a desert of sort, you see. A few years ago a "silver_ibex" (is that right?) posted something about using terragen. He included an example map. Any ideas whether this is the best method for creating natural contours, or are there (free) alternatives to this? :confused:

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Send Silver_Ibex a PM, he is still around here (he updated the terragen method for terrain a few weeks ago, you might want to check either the UT subforum or the Infiltration subforum). And if you are looking for examples of natural looking UT maps download the Infiltration 2.9 UT mod. It has some pretty good examples.

[edit] here was the link to what he posted, unfortunately it looks like his site is down. Here is the thread over at the INF forums.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Yeah, but they'd be on fire.
Told you I'd be updating my post. I've gone so far as to create a terrain in .dxf format. Should I import it into UnrealED as a brush or as a mesh? Tried using a brush, but it disappears. Any clues?

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
As brush. If it disappears you modeled it wrong.

No unwelded vertices

No open edges, the model must be closed everywhere.

Make sure the mesh/brush has its normal pointing out in the 3D program. That means that it should NOT look hollow in the 3D program. So as if it were an added shape, and NOT a subtracted shape.

Triangulate it just to be sure.

Polycount of about 100, 200 at max.