Intel's new Core i7 platform

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
It looks pretty damned good, considering that the cheapest chip (the i920) performs around the same level as the current most expensive (the Q9600), sometimes better, somtimes worse, for even less of the price.

Of course, the x58 chipset mobos are insane expensive right now. Oh well. I'm thinking that it might be a perfect Christmas to upgrade.

~Jason

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
^ especially true considering how overclockable the c2d chips are. I'm running my 1.86 @ 2.8 at stock voltage.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
im leaving mine alone at 2.2ghz and its been plenty fast. I'm of the opinion that the real deciding factor right now and atleast for the foreseeble future will be the graphics card.

I have a GTX 260 with 897gb DDR3 ram on it, and good christ it is fast. Crysis at max settings, 1440x900 = 60fps at all times no matter what is going on.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Really? I guess that's quite a small res, but even so, 60fps still sounds impressive.

Hmm... maybe I should just forget my monitor and use my 720p HDTV instead... :lol:
This is getting even more off topic but yeah, I wish they made cheap 16:9 720p (or thereabouts)monitors in the 20"-24" range. Higher resolutions are nice, but tough for gaming and gaming in non-native resolution=crap. 1280x720 @max settings looks MUCH better than 1680x1050@med-high settings.

~Jason

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Really? I guess that's quite a small res, but even so, 60fps still sounds impressive.

Hmm... maybe I should just forget my monitor and use my 720p HDTV instead... :lol:

Now that I think about it, you are right. It is a pretty small screen size for the type of computer I have. I really want to save up and get a bigger monitor. At the sametime though I want a second monitor too because I'm a nerd like that. So I end up planning on actually getting another 1440x900 monitor. I'm happy with that screen size anywho. And in theory my card will last me longer because of the lower screen res I run my games at. Or something like that. @_@