UE1 - UT Difference in Uscript between the engines

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dustbuster

Oct 22, 2008
Somehow I managed to loose the copy of my UT2K4, and now I'm sitting here with the first ever Unreal game to be released. Regardless it's age, I figured what the hell; I can aswell gain modding experience with UT until I mail-order a new UT2K4 (I live in an area with no game shops, no big markets). Before I jump into learning Unrealscript, I'd want to know if the tutorials and references for UT2004/UT3/ut2003 on Unrealscript are applicable to Unreal1 mods.

Ohh, and if you could explain/list some other pitfalls of Unreal1 modding, I'd be glad to know!

Thanks

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Apart from the class structure having changed significantly between UE1 and 2, UE2 also added dynamic arrays, subobjects and delegates. Also, there were a few changes in variable replication (always server->client in UE2) and other network-relevant features.
UE3 added even more dynamic array and delegate features and completely changed function replication. Non-zero defalt values can be specified for optional parameters and struct members, there's a conditional operator and the list goes on and on.

Of course, you can still try to use UE2/3 tutorials, but only for the language syntax itself. Class structure is very different, for pickups, players and weapons.