Installing UT3 from HD.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
Installing UT3 from HD. (Solved)

Before anybody jumps on me: I own the game, didn't lose my CD-Key and have the game here right in my hands.
But my DVD drive is broken and cannot be fixxored before Monday. But I wanna play Prometheus this weekend.

So would it be possible to to ask a friend to push the data on the DVD through WLAN onto my PC and install it on my PC from there? Or is the Installer dependant on the physical DVD?

Maybe somebody happens to know and might save me time if it isn't possible.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
"Anyone who knows how [to get a system that can run the game], probably knows what bittorrent is." -Mark Rein

hint hint.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
So would it be possible to to ask a friend to push the data on the DVD through WLAN onto my PC and install it on my PC from there? Or is the Installer dependant on the physical DVD?

That should be able to work. I've had that sort of method (install from a folder on the hard drive) work with almost everything, but I haven't tried it on UT3 though.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Should work I think. I believe I've been able to install apps off network shared optical drives before without trouble.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Yeah, I suppose the only time it might matter is if the disc has copy protection on it; in such case you'll probably need to use the actual disc to install or run the program. (UT3 has no such protection, though.)

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
AH HAH!

The old "my DVD drive is broken" trick. I see this one all the time!!!

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Wanna bet that I played an official UT 3 game before you? ;)

Considering I didnt have a rig capable until 6 months after it came out, no.

Obviously you missed the sarcasm, but gg anyway. :D

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
animated-pirate.gif