UE2 - UT2kX I see through Static Meshes..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

frankieta

Apr 25, 2008
I have this problem:

VERY frequently when I insert Static Meshes in my level thay appear good only from a side, from the other side they are like "transparent".
I read that maybe this thing is caused by the erroneus flipping of the normals of the mesh.
How can I correct this?
I wanted to underline that this phenomenon appears not only with Static Meshes that I import from 3ds max for often with static meshes that I take from other levels of the game. In that level they appear good, then in my level become transparent...

Help please!

Thanatos

Oct 21, 2005
Napali Meditation Room
The thing is with Unreal Engine is that when drawing meshes it does not render the backfaces which means that it will appear fine from the side that you can see the faces from but from the otherside it will not draw the backfaces and thus your problem.

Also your problem with meshes going transparent ingame is the fact that the static mesh package needs to be saved for the game to show it, in the editor it is stored in the local memory but when the level is loaded in UT2004 if the mesh package is not saved there will be nothing to load.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
Plus, frequently the ut mesh was not even modeled with a reverse side in the first place- an optimisation eg for a mesh placed up against a wall where noone is ever going to see those triangles.

frankieta

Apr 25, 2008
The thing is with Unreal Engine is that when drawing meshes it does not render the backfaces which means that it will appear fine from the side that you can see the faces from but from the otherside it will not draw the backfaces and thus your problem.

Also your problem with meshes going transparent ingame is the fact that the static mesh package needs to be saved for the game to show it, in the editor it is stored in the local memory but when the level is loaded in UT2004 if the mesh package is not saved there will be nothing to load.

Plus, frequently the ut mesh was not even modeled with a reverse side in the first place- an optimisation eg for a mesh placed up against a wall where noone is ever going to see those triangles.

So there's not a single cause for this problem? I made sure that I save my static meshes package every time before checking the level in-game, so that should not be a problem.

JetFire, you say that some meshes were not even modeled for a backside-view.
I post a screenshot of a mesh with a problem like I described.
That's the front view in the Static Mesh Browser

and that's the backside view, you can clearly see there are not backfaces, even in the static mesh browser.

So, I can be sure that if a mesh has this problem in the static mesh browser, it's not a fault of mine?

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
Frankieta, exactly. Switch to wireframe view and you can see the triangles making up the mesh. That cliff is designed for players never getting behind it. If you want to do as SolidSnake suggests, create a duplicate texture for the rock in mylevel, and change it to two sided. Then assign the texture to the rock , overriding it's skin.