I need help with Components

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
Hey guys I need some help from you hardware pros.

I want to build myself a nice new PC that is capable of running all the latest games fairly well. I'm trying to keep it under $900 though...

I'm having a tough time trying to choose components though. Mainly the mother board. I'm a newb with this stuff and with so many motherboards with a lot of different prices I dont know which one is best for my needs. I heard that Asus is known for making very good quality boards, if you guys recomend going with an Asus can you tell me which is a good purchase? Once I get the mother board down I heard its easy from there. :)

Anyway here are some of the parts I've been looking at. Think someone can tell me if these are good parts to use for building a PC that is really nice and fast that can run most of the new games?

Mother Board
Asus board
Case
CPU
Power Supply
Graphics Card
Ram
Hard drive

I'm going to be sticking with Windows XP Pro Btw. From what I hear Vista isnt worth the upgrade till they fix the bugs out.

Anyway this is what I've come up with so far. I'm looking for any suggestions from people that have experience with hardware and building systems.

Also as this is my first time building are there any tips I should know? Safety or handling PC parts so I dont cause any harm to them? Things like how I should hold or place the mother board so I dont break anything would be great!

Any info would help a lot, I'm afraid to go out and buy all these expensive parts and break them :lol:

Also does the Mother board or the case come with a case Fan or do I have to buy that seperate?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
Do you want SLI?

Depends.. do I need it? I'm not to sure what it does.

sorry that probably really sounded bad but like I said I dont know much about hardware and terms like SLI. Thats why I'm asking you guys.

Hmm K I found out what SLI is.. dont think I'll be using 2 GFX cards. I dont really have the money for 2 anyway. So I'd have to say I dont need SLI. But dont all the latest motherboards these days have SLI already in them?

Last edited:

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
Thanks a lot Skakruk. The guide you posted should help me with a lot of things. :)

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
so I should only get 2gigs max? Does having more cause issues I should know about?

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
but if I get the ddr2 wont I be forced with installing 4gigs because they go in together?

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
Ok thanks for clearing that up for me guys. The DDR2 isnt really much more expensive then the other ram being sold though.