SPMA -- How do I use it?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I've been playing Onslaught for about a year or so on-and-off but I've never really learned how to use the SPMA mortar. So, how do you use it? Do you alt fire to send up a camera beacon? Once you have that floating camera up, how do you aim your mortar shells?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Nah, it's not.

About the only tactical use for the SPMA that I found over the years was to keep the enemy from spawning at a specific unlocked and linked-up node by continually keeping it damaged. This could be helpful whilst waiting for your team to arrive at the node to take it out.

Still, the beacon draws enemy eyes like none other, so it always gets shot down before anything good happens.

Useless vehakal. Do something else. Your team will thank you. Unless they're bots, of course. D:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Exactly. It's a lot of wasted time for little payoff. Even if you do manage to take some people out they'll only go looking for the damn thing. Pointless!

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Why do people forget SPMA's speed? It's even better than a Scorpion, and comparable to a Cicada! It's even the fastest vehicle in that 'tire vehicles' group! At least that's what they say in the BU UE wiki.

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
I have some SPMA tactics, one, place it close to a tree to make it harder to spot from the air, place it right behind a wall/rock, and switch to turret if you can, no-one expects you to skymine.

Apr 11, 2006
Maps that the SPMA can be useful on:

Spiffingrad
Tricky (debatable)

Maps that the SPMA cannot be useful on:

All others

Seriously. It is such a situational vehicle (and easily countered by readily-available weapons) that it's rarely worth bothering with.