Gears Gore Q&A

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Epic Games Gore-master, Pete Hayes, talks with Gamespot about his role as senior artist on Gears of War 2. In the article he talks about modeling guns, vehicles, and gore.

I basically create a little stockpile of chunks of meat and bones and things along those lines. Then I figure out where the character has to be chopped up or blown apart for gameplay purposes. Obviously, with a chainsaw, you have to have cuts in certain places. Then I just try to make it look cool. It's not anatomically correct by any means whatsoever. There's lots of "mystery meat" in there.

The goal is not to gross people out or have super-uber-realistic gore. It's more just for the type of action game that we are and [to have] that over-the-top exclamation point, much like profanity would add an exclamation point to certain comedy routines. It serves that purpose.

SuperApe

Registered Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
Inna Jungle
wiki.beyondunreal.com
os][ris;2184168 said:
Am i the only one that WANTS super realistic gore?
No. In fact, this is a that rare occasion where I comment on a BUF news story.

I hold a dangerous amount of knowledge (too little to be considered an expert, too much to think I am less informed than the general public) about anatomy, art, game design and game programming. This knowledge tells me a) it certainly would not be too difficult to make the gore accurate and anatomically correct (X-rated bits aside), b) mystery meat is not necessarily the best result a player would wish for (still trying to consistently eliminate extra gibs from my mod), c) having accurate gore has usually proven in the past to be a real interest to gamers (ragdoll physics, for example).

It may sound gruesome (and it may turn out to be grotesque and repulsive), but the goal of accurate gore should be pursued, imho.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Realistic gore, lol. If you shoot someone you won't even see blood until it seept through his clothing and with Gears-style armor that's going to take a while. Exceptions are shots that hit uncovered body parts like headshots but even there the exit wound is the "interesting" part and unless you curve bullets Wanted-style it's on the other side so you won't see it either. The chainsaw could look interesting but it would only be making nasty cuts and blood would for the most part be kept invisible by the thick armor. Dismembering characters with the chainsaw seems a bit sadistic to me, to be honest. Huge blood sprays don't imo. Maybe you could dismember characters with explosives (ala Brothers in Arms). That's just about it for gore if you want to keep it realistic.

I have to say I enjoy over-the-top borderline comical gore effects in over-the-top shooters. Gibbing someone in Quake 3 has nothing to do with what real violence looks like but it gets the point across and it's campy fun in the process. So personally I agree with Gear's policy on gore.

Leave realistic gore to realistic shooters or at least shooters with a realistic theme.

H

Human1

Lonely?

I'm a little shocked to see I'm in the minority, then. I don't mind a little gib, but usually in Unreal games I just turn the gore off as I find it distracting. Maybe realistic gore would be better, since it wouldn't be as 'over the top' or act as an 'exclamation point'. I just as soon turn it off and focus on the game.