Hard Drive Configurations

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Hey all,

I'm planning on upgrading my computer over the course of the next 6 months or so. Right now I'm using two Seagate PATA drives in the following set up. Drive A is the OS along with general applications (firefox, thunderbird, office, etc) and documents. There's also movie files and some other random things. Drive B is where I have all my games, music, and other files. Both drives are configured to use 2-4GB of swap space since I've read in several places that swap on a non-OS drive is good since you can access the swap file independently of what the OS is doing giving lower access time to the swap file.

Drive A is approaching 6 years old and drive B is probably close to 3 or 4 (can't find any record of the purchase for some reason). Since I don't want to be caught off guard by drive A going kaboom I'd like to get these replaced pretty soon as I don't have any backup system in place.

The current plan is to retain the current configuration but with two pairs (80GB for pair A, 250+GB for pair B) of SATA drives arranged with RAID 1 for each pair. However, I suspect this is going to be overkill. Does anyone know if there's any significant performance gain to have two RAID 1 arrays with individual swapfiles for the OS on each array? From what I understand, two large hard drives in a RAID array would give me presumably a setup with the swapfile similar to what I'm already doing with the PATA drives. I don't think the performance boost will be much more significant with 4 drives instead of 2. OS will be Windows XP Pro until I find a need for Vista.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Just two thoughts as I can't comment on the performance question from experience (but assume the gain is nothing to write home about).
RAID1 doesn't replace a backup.
80GB drives are pretty expensive (price/GB) and I have doubts you can get ones that are on par with current big drives when it comes to performance so there's a good chance they will slow your system down.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Hmmm. Good points. I was considering getting something like a mid-sized MyBook for external backup depending on what I opted to do with the internal drives.

The 400GB drive I was looking at has 16MB cache vs. 8MB on the 80. So yeah, definitely better performance on the bigger drive.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
640 GB would be overkill for me. I've got ~240GB and i'm still a good 40 GB short of maxing out although I did some boneheaded things with partition sizes which I won't do again. Like allocating a 10 GB FAT partition "in case I want to try Linux" three years. I'm still single-booting XP. I think I'll probably get 400 GB and if I need more space, by then 1 TB drives should be pretty affordable...

I swear by Seagate. I've had very little trouble with their drives. Although I haven't bought anything from them since the Maxtor merger. Hopefully it hasn't changed. But from what I hear Caviars are on par with the Barracuda line. Solid choice :)

Snaps_Provolone

Part Time Retard
Sep 14, 2008
United States
On my server I have a RAID 0 Array for speed, consisting of two old WD Raptor 74 GB 10,000 RPM drives. This makes for a snappy access to sectors, and fast loads/boots and so forth. Of course backup has to be done on any data, but it is fast! Cool thing is you can find these drives on ebay pretty cheap. Using the array for OS and program files while placing all your large media on another drive/array will make for a nice system.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
640 GB would be overkill for me. I've got ~240GB and i'm still a good 40 GB short of maxing out although I did some boneheaded things with partition sizes which I won't do again.
It's just not a matter of capacity, but of speed :) It's a fantastic drive, costing 80$ !! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218
There's also the Seagate 640, costing 85$ with 5 years warranty: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148335
Bonus:
noise-seek.gif
power-seek.gif

Benchie: http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15588/3
worldbench-overall.gif
time-boot.gif

fc-create-programs.gif
fc-copy-install.gif

ipeak-compresscreatevdubimport.gif
ipeak-outlookexportvdubimport.gif

Handpicked, but it wins 5 out of ~20 benchmarks amongst the fastest desktop drives available today, that cost 3x more :)

Last edited: