Project: UT Decade

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Acid.OMG

Sep 7, 2008
UT99 Players,

On January 17, 2010. The 10 year anniversary of the oldest most active multiplayer game in history UT99 will be celebrated. How you say? Well I had the same question, my answer....

I want all of the UT99 communities to come together in helping me contact epic games, weather we have to sign a petition or just ask. I want to have UT99 Re-Done and no not another UT2003/2k4, or UT3 no UT99 remde. New map, Gametypes, Look.... And i want it to be as easily compatable as 99 not too high tech just new default textures ect...

As for mods I want them to incorperate our most popular including RX, Bunnytracks, Zark Sniping, Bin Slayer, Monsterhunt, Seige and a few others. I want them to make a defualt UT version of all those mods.

As for maps They should pick the top 8 maps of each gametype and redo them to be more proffessional (No choppy walls ect...)

And weapons such as the RX maybe make their own universal version of it... New game music, Textures, Skins And maybe even some current homemade skins like Sgt. Nutz ect.. Personally i think that epic games will make more money on this than its worth.

If you have any ideas comment or anything pm me or create a second topic i want to keep this topic open for updates and maybe a petition if needed...

Thanks,
-Acid.OMG

Acid.OMG

Sep 7, 2008
looking for sponsors (No money required just spreading the word)

Communities, clans, ect.. all welcome

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Sorry to break your bubble but there's little chance of Epic doing such a thing. Plus today's average gamer doesn't know what he wants and probably won't be interested in a revamped game.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Of course it doesn't hurt to try. If you want to get in touch with someone from Epic you can try sending a message to WarTourist.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I'd only back it if all the existing UT mod content could be ported over without any real work.

Acid.OMG

Sep 7, 2008
well my idea seemed a little to big but they should release a final patch with some of these ideas and fixing all the glitched.. that would be cool

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
They did. Or rather they entrusted this to UTPG which released versions 4.40 and 4.51. But the initiative suddenly went cold for reasons unknown.

http://www.utpg.org/

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
They did. Or rather they entrusted this to UTPG which released versions 4.40 and 4.51. But the initiative suddenly went cold for reasons unknown.

http://www.utpg.org/

They only update the patches mainly for security reasons since 4.51 is used for dedicated servers and not to update the clients.

I would love to see an old school style UT game that uses an open source engine. With our luck it would probably be the Q3A one... :rolleyes:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I would love to see an old school style UT game that uses an open source engine. With our luck it would probably be the Q3A one... :rolleyes:

There's nothing stopping people modifying the standard unrealscript packages. It'll break network compatibility but, if it's worth it, why not improve everything ? Plus, it might be possible to replace parts of the engine with bits taken from open source projects.

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
I think starting from a clean slate, not depending on UT, is a better idea.
No Quake engine's a good base (other than the renderer) since they're not modularily designed like Unreal i.e. one game code file, no mutators added dynamically

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Agreed, I can't think of any other open source engine that's out there which would suffice. (I only know of the id Techs and Crystal Engine which I no nothing about).

Closest open source FPS game to UT gameplay I've seen is Alien Arena with the alt-fire, killing sprees and even mutators. Anyone with better examples out there?

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
How about making it freely available for everyone to downlaod to play online? I'm sure there won't be any gaming mags that wouldn't wanna include it on their discs. One can only dream. Or open source it, one can only dream that much...

Last edited:

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
epic isnt in the business of being that small pc game company anymore. Besides, I think they make more money off of gears anyway. It wouldnt be worth their time and effort. Most UT1 gamers from 1999/2000 dont game that much anymore.

On the 10th anniversary, it would be cool to see the game released for free. So many other game companies have done that.

Last edited by a moderator: