UT3 vCTF-Wastelands [PC][Pics][D/L]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SmokeRingHalo

Reigning King of DM/CTF Mapping
Mar 1, 2008
smokeringhalo.unrealmaps.net
vCTF-Wastelands [PC][Pics][Download][MSUC-2]

1. Title: vCTF-Wastelands
2. Version: 2.0/FULL
3. Compatibility: UT3 PC / Patch Level 1.3 or later
4. Description: The Grass is always greener on the Blue side
There are NO plans for a PS3 version at this time
5. Features:* Bot Support
* 3 Detail Modes for Low, Medium, & High end systems
* Running Trains based on Flag Events
* 72 Custom Meshes & 42 Customized Materials

6. Screenshots:

vctfwastelandsrj8.jpg

7. Additional Credits:
* Hourences - for the all the Tutorials - http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsindex.htm
* DGUnreal - for making the skydome Texture & Mesh available - http://www.lilchips.com/dgunreal/ut3-skies.asp
* Epic Games & the Forum Community - http://utforums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

8. Homepage:http://www.myspace.com/smokeringhalo

9. Download:

Fileplanet

10. CHANGE LOG from BETA 1
* Corrected Collision issue near flag base
* Deleted 9 Player Starts
* Added 6 additional vehicles
- (3 per side - Hellbenders @ main base, Scorpions @ garages, & Mantas @ power plants)
* Deleted Kismet sequence for train damage
* Attached dynamic physic volumes to trains to inflict damage instead of being Kismet touch based.
* Added Shock Rifle weapon pickup + ammo to each main base
* Removed 4 Bio Rifle ammo pickups
* Moved several static meshes.
* Added Forced Direction Volumes to ramps from main base to power plant (hoverboards excluded)
* Added 6 player starts per garage
* Added 1 weapon locker per garage
* Slightly altered terrain
* Altered pathing
* Altered lighting channels for select static meshes
* Altered blocking volumes above rocks @ base entrance
* Adjusted Spec brightness on terrain track decal materials
* Misc decorative meshes added
* Added Avril pickup to Gas stations
* Removed Redeemer from center bridge
* Replaced Invisibility pickups with Redeemers
* Removed Jumppads from under Center Bridge
* Changed Meteor material
* Added Sounding Horn for emerging trains
* Added bell sounds & flashing lights to train crossings
* Added new passing train sound
* Adjusted Foilage volumes
* Complete Lighting Overhaul

11. Donations Granted I cannot legally charge for this map, but I'm not above accepting donations.
If you like the map, or just want to motivate me somehow, tossing me a buck or two would be very much appreciated.
http://smokeringhalo.chipin.com/vctf-wastelands

Last edited:

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
It looks nice, but that list of bugs'll have to be refined before I try it out. For the COllision issue you can simply toggle a "Affect Projectiles" option in that volumes properties. For the train, you may want to attach dynamic physics volumes around it allowing for x amount of damage upon touch. To fix the "Popping" you will probably want to add some fog and cull distance volumes (it may also be due to the computer you are running your map on). I assume that the slime volume's "Increased damage" glitch is because of having 2 volumes very near to each other. If you step into both volumes simultaneously it will result in increased damage, if you run through one and then into the other it will also increase damage. Really what you want is just 1 phyics volume that will cover all of the slime area.

I hope that helps a little bit. BTW your map does look quite nice.

EDIT: The Green and yellow don't really contrast very well, might want to change it to black and yellow or somehting like that. Maybe lava instead of slime.

Last edited:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
12. Donations Granted I cannot legally charge for this map, but I'm not above accepting donations.
If you like the map, want to motivate me somehow, or just think I'm a cool guy, tossing me a buck or two would be very much appreciated.
http://smokeringhalo.chipin.com/vctf-wastelands

Sorry to threadcrap, but what are you doing? :hmm:
Bit cheeky perhaps?

OT: Will download when home to have a look.

SmokeRingHalo

Mar 1, 2008
I haven't played or even downloaded your map, but here's your problems, because i know it all. blah blah blah.

With the exception of the dynamics volume attached to the train which I haven't tried, everything else is wrong. I don't want the forced direction volumes to affect hitscan weapons or projectiles at all. I already have fog & a cull distance volume set where they need to be. The issue is with foliage that appear near the very edges of the foliage volumes and there is no setting in those volumes that corrects this issue that I've come across and I've spent HOURS upon HOURS on them. The only volumes next to the slime volumes are a post process volume & a reverb volume, neither of which would cause additional damage.
If you want lava try my other map, WAR-Moltencore. I'm not changing the slime, nor the green & yellow, nor any combination thereof in any way shape or form, ever. It looks great in game, but you wouldn't know that now would you?

Sjosz; said:
Sorry to threadcrap, but what are you doing?
Bit cheeky perhaps?

Sorry to throw crap back at you but what, you can't f****ing read? You have to have simple things explained to you? I'll tell you what I'm not doing, I'm not making any money not that that should bother you or be any of your f****ing business. I'm not charging for the map, its there as an OPTION for those who like to help others out, which nobody ever does. I did the same for WAR-Moltencore, (any flash movie or any other release I'm responsible for for that matter) and have yet to make a dime, so stfu.

And for those who think I've replied to harshly, I suggest trying the map before making suggestions, Know what I expect (bugs OTHER than the ones listed above) don't act like its a crime to accept donations that never come, and above all else, don't let me wake up to whining because I'm always in a bad mood when I wake up. My public relations skills are worse than my mapping skills.

P.S. I only have one and a half maps left to release and then I'm done with UT3 and this is the primary reason. I can spend 5 months on a map making it as perfect as I can get it to be and then the moment I release it, the ungrateful whiny UT3 community nitpicks it to shreds - highlights every imperfection in details and screenshots but never points out anything good. Its always, "but the map looks nice" - "but good job anyway".
Bah, don't patronize me. I see through that B.S. a mile away. So keep running your ridiculously opinionated mouths and keep chasing off the few people you have left who actually make things for this failed game.

Last edited:

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
With the exception of the dynamics volume attached to the train which I haven't tried, everything else is wrong. I don't want the forced direction volumes to affect hitscan weapons or projectiles at all. I already have fog & a cull distance volume set where they need to be. The issue is with foliage that appear near the very edges of the foliage volumes and there is no setting in those volumes that corrects this issue that I've come across and I've spent HOURS upon HOURS on them. The only volumes next to the slime volumes are a post process volume & a reverb volume, neither of which would cause additional damage.
If you want lava try my other map, WAR-Moltencore. I'm not changing the slime, nor the green & yellow, nor any combination thereof in any way shape or form, ever. It looks great in game, but you wouldn't know that now would you?

Sorry to throw crap back at you but what, you can't f****ing read? You have to have simple things explained to you? I'll tell you what I'm not doing, I'm not making any money not that that should bother you or be any of your f****ing business. I'm not charging for the map, its there as an OPTION for those who like to help others out, which nobody ever does. I did the same for WAR-Moltencore, (any flash movie or any other release I'm responsible for for that matter) and have yet to make a dime, so stfu.

And for those who think I've replied to harshly, I suggest trying the map before making suggestions, Know what I expect (bugs OTHER than the ones listed above) don't act like its a crime to accept donations that never come, and above all else, don't let me wake up to whining because I'm always in a bad mood when I wake up. My public relations skills are worse than my mapping skills.

P.S. I only have one and a half maps left to release and then I'm done with UT3 and this is the primary reason. I can spend 5 months on a map making it as perfect as I can get it to be and then the moment I release it, the ungrateful whiny UT3 community nitpicks it to shreds - highlights every imperfection in details and screenshots but never points out anything good. Its always, "but the map looks nice" - "but good job anyway".
Bah, don't patronize me. I see through that B.S. a mile away. So keep running your ridiculously opinionated mouths and keep chasing off the few people you have left who actually make things for this failed game.

WOW!!! way to overreact.

First of all, why bother making an option to donate money when there won't be anyone donating anything?

I'm also a level designer as you are... my first map took me about half a year, I released it and ofc it had a few flaws seeing as it was my first map for UT3. Unlike you, I listened to what everyone said about my map and made a second version of the map which thanks to everyone giving me their opinions was a big success for myself, not only had I released a map which many people enjoy playing but I had also gotten alot of experience about level designing which will increase the quality of my future maps (hopefully).

My point is, the way you're acting here, makes people not like you... and if people don't like you, they won't bother giving you their opinions or even play your maps.

(Sorry about my bad english)

PS: Don't bother giving me your hate, cause it won't impact me in any way.

Anyway, I'm going to play your map when I have access to my gaming computer (sunday).

SmokeRingHalo

Mar 1, 2008
WOW!!! way to overreact.
My point is, the way you're acting here, makes people not like you... and if people don't like you, they won't bother giving you their opinions or even play your maps.

That's just it. I keep getting the opinions from those who haven't even played the map & if they haven't played the map, they have NO opinion, in my opinion. What you call overreacting, I call not putting up with B.S. and I make no apologies for it. I don't need people to like me, but I will stand up for the integrity of my work 100%.

Last edited:

PsyXandeR

Aug 5, 2005
W00ting himself on CTF-AllYourW00T
I keep getting the opinions from those who haven't even played the map & if they haven't played the map, they have NO opinion, in my opinion.
That's actually wrong, most people shoot their opinion by just looking at screenshots.
Seriously, noone had done that donation crap before, at least that I remember, so you are first one over here. Congrats.

Last edited:

SmokeRingHalo

Mar 1, 2008
That's actually wrong, most people shoot their opinion by just looking at screenshots.
Seriously, noone had done that donation crap before, at least that I remember, so you are first one over here. Congrats.

Sorry if it offended you, you unselfish soul you. (Actually I'm not. That was sarcasm. Don't ask me to explain what that means, that's what google is for)

Stay on topic. The map, is the topic. Stay on it. Focus. Ignore all other distractions & shiny objects.

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
Coming from a 10 year veteran that has played the Unreal series since the day U1 came out in 1998, this map really caught me eye the moment I saw the bridge! :eek: Usually maps makes me go "meh", even some good maps, but unfortunatly I am a hard guy to please with maps (must have developed extremely high hopes for levels or something XD). Only very few maps in my history with any Unreal/UT caught my attention immediately after looking and playign with the map. And your level is one of them! :D You have officially gained my "RoninMastaFX's Most Appealing Levels" Award. :) I wish I had a picture for you, Smoke Ring Halo, but unfortunately, I don't. :( I'll try and make some maps in the future. :)

Judging from those pictures....I would have to give you level a whopping 9.4/10 :)

You're lucky my friend, because usually I give around the 2-8/10 marks, not 9.4 out of 10. :)

I would have to agree about the donation thing though, what u did was idd a kiss of death for pretty much all other UT mappers (except me). If maps are good, I sometimes donate a few bucks to the mapper if they want donations or not, but depending how much I like the level, and how much dough I have. I don't mind donating money to good maps to mappers, but pretty much 9/10 of mappers will not, which is unfortunately the way it is. :(

If I can scrounge a few dollars, you'll be getting a donation from me. ;) But just remember for next time about the donation thing. ;)

Take Care! :)

vybz

Apr 2, 2008
well you want people to make donations so then you should care if people like you because I don't think people are going to make donations if they don't like you :>

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
Honestly man. A picture is worth a thousand words and a lot can be judged from that. I assumed that most of my answers to your glitches would turn out with need of tweaking or an entirely new approach. Unfortunately, your response, which seems to have assumed that I know everything, makes me less willing to work with you through the previously intended process of fixing the glitches. Hopefully you'll find someone else who is willing enough to help out.

On a final note, please never falsely quote me again.

SmokeRingHalo

Mar 1, 2008
I would have to agree about the donation thing though, what u did was idd a kiss of death for pretty much all other UT mappers (except me).

I got a much needed chuckle out of that part, thanks.
I edited the donation info from my post but why ppl even care is beyond me.
The map is free to download & play yet they're offended that there is even an option to donate to the author to show appreciation? :rolleyes:

Anyway I appreciate your sentiment of sanity among the lunatics & hope you enjoy the map.

SmokeRingHalo

Mar 1, 2008
well you want people to make donations so then you should care if people like you because I don't think people are going to make donations if they don't like you :>

In my experience its usually its the other way around. People who like you still not only won't donate, they usually want something from you which they lack. In my case (because I build PC's & web design) its usually in the form of wanting computer help from me. They also never offer money for the help they seek either. They want to draw on my skills freely while expecting to be paid for their skills & time @ their "real job".
In the end its not whether or not they like me or not (& I could care less, i really could.) its about the map.

vybz

Apr 2, 2008
Yarrr I prefer moar looks kewler, Im a londoner. Are you a male or female, and how old? andddddd have you ever been to london?

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Ya know you probably lost a few hundred downloads just because of your arrogant responses. When seeing an entire community come against one guy who thinks he's "something special" enough to take on the entire community logic tells me there is something wrong with that one guy.

SmokeRingHalo

Mar 1, 2008
Ya know you probably lost a few hundred downloads just because of your arrogant responses. When seeing an entire community come against one guy who thinks he's "something special" enough to take on the entire community logic tells me there is something wrong with that one guy.

Didn't know I was taking on the WHOLE community, but then again it really isn't that big is it? Keep on flaming me instead of critiquing the map and I'll start reporting posts.
P.S. - thx for the optimization tips.

Last edited:

vybz

Apr 2, 2008
oiiii i dont you want to talk to me, please talk to me, tell me "more" about your life