PDA

View Full Version : UT DM-Usine

16MentalTempest
28th Aug 2008, 09:57 PM
This map is nearly complete in terms of visuals.:tup: At present, there is one playerstart and no bot pathing whatsoever. It's my fifth overall attempt at mapping, having re-done my old 'GT Arena' map that was lost in the crash. Usine uses Hourences' 'Kraden' texture pack for about 98% of the map. And thus, the forums won't let me post the 11 mb .zip file, so I'm including a link to the texture package on Hourences' website :hmm:. Feedback on visuals is appreciated! Kraden Texture Package (http://www.hourences.com/book/textureskraden.htm)

Oh, and if you're wondering, Usine is french for factory. ;)

EDIT: See below post for the official beta release.

Larkin
29th Aug 2008, 01:03 AM
I thought of urine when I saw the map name. Then I saw the picture and saw yellow. :lol:

Not many UT maps as of late, so downloading..

Comments later..

PsyXandeR
29th Aug 2008, 06:52 AM
Looks better than your previous work ... /me checks out :p

K, I checked it out. I personally think that it is definite improvement since your last work, that that I have seen at least. ;) Still, it is not that perfect...

Gameplay - First impression " OMFG 0V3RSCAL3DZ0RZ" ... seriously it is way too overscaled at the moment, I was pretty irritated when I was running through the map. You have to get rid of dead-ends, you use really big amount of those - that's not so good in y opinion, they break the flow and let some players get trapped without any reason. Placing simple bonus like armor or UDam will make the deadend much more useful ie it makes player take a risk and grab that powerup.... but as I said, you have way too many of deadends, and I would recommend getting rid of those. Long hallways are simply bad as well, there's no place to cover and hide, and that's bad ( hmm, in Doom it isn't but eh...) Fill those hallways with crates, some broken of stuff, etc, etc, use your mind :) Central arena is a little bit simple and symmetric ( if you take a look from a top view) but I think Zaxis saves it a little bit :)

Visuals - K visuals are better then in your previous map.Still, they are pretty simple at the moment, the level simply looks like a box with ramps, and that's not good. And I can see why - such overscaled levels are tad too hard to decorate , I'd seriously consider shrienking the level before getting to decorational part.

More to come soon, a little bit busy atm :)

Slainchild
29th Aug 2008, 06:55 AM
urine

:tinfoil3:

Adelheid
29th Aug 2008, 09:15 AM
Looks better than your previous work ... /me checks out :p

K, I checked it out. I personally think that it is definite improvement since your last work, that that I have seen at least. ;) Still, it is not that perfect...

Gameplay - First impression " OMFG 0V3RSCAL3DZ0RZ" ... seriously it is way too overscaled at the moment, I was pretty irritated when I was running through the map. You have to get rid of dead-ends, you use really big amount of those - that's not so good in y opinion, they break the flow and let some players get trapped without any reason. Placing simple bonus like armor or UDam will make the deadend much more useful ie it makes player take a risk and grab that powerup.... but as I said, you have way too many of deadends, and I would recommend getting rid of those. Long hallways are simply bad as well, there's no place to cover and hide, and that's bad ( hmm, in Doom it isn't but eh...) Fill those hallways with crates, some broken of stuff, etc, etc, use your mind :) Central arena is a little bit simple and symmetric ( if you take a look from a top view) but I think Zaxis saves it a little bit :)

Visuals - K visuals are better then in your previous map.Still, they are pretty simple at the moment, the level simply looks like a box with ramps, and that's not good. And I can see why - such overscaled levels are tad too hard to decorate , I'd seriously consider shrienking the level before getting to decorational part.

More to come soon, a little bit busy atm :)

Basically what he said, however don't be discouraged and give up:This map has all-guns-blazing potential. ;)

16MentalTempest
29th Aug 2008, 06:05 PM
Okay, here's the finished beta. Weapons, health, and path nodes are in place and ready to go. Thanks for the feedback to the above posters! I've scaled the map down by 50%, and replaced two of the hallways with teleporters. It's a very fast-paced map for around 6 players. Use the link in the first post to d/l the Kraden package if you haven't already. Enjoy! :D