UE2 - UT2kX Static mesh making guide

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
After having wasted some time trying to find out what to do to get some custom Static Meshes, I decided to write a guide on what you can use to make them.

What do different people use to make custom maps' geometry? We all know Epic used only a little BSP and a lot of Static meshes.

1) "Assault Racing way": They use BSP. As it is extremely simple, they don't make too many BSP holes. Movers are converted from brushes. Does it look realistic? Nope.
2) "Assault Trials way": They mainly use Static Meshes from other, stock, maps. The maps still look cubic and don't have any customisability (you are either in Aborea, Barrens, Aleria etc.), but at least more eye-pleasing than Racing maps. This is probably the most common way of making custom maps.
3) "Mover way": These maps have Static Meshes converted from usual brushes. A lot of work for something that isn't too good looking; also, converting brushes to Static Meshes is suboptimal.
4) "Hard way": These maps have custom Static Meshes made in 3D modelling applications. This is the best way to go - no BPS errors and looks good and custom, just like you want it to be.

Q&A about the last way:

Q) Hey, that last way looks pretty good. Where do I start?
A) You need to get a 3D modelling application first.
Q) Oh my, why can't they add it to UnrealEd? :( Where can I get it anyway?
A) You have some different selections...

--Maya PLE--
Q) I have a UT2003 CD3, which as I heard comes with Maya PLE that can be used for making Static meshes?
A) That's almost correct.
Q) I try installing the Maya PLE 4 version, but it asks me for some kind of a strange password thingie. And gives me a dead link. What to do?
A) Alias Software that developed Maya 4 was bought by AutoDesk. That's where the dead link leads you to. They don't support it any more, so... Well, there is a place you can get a password, but it's for install only and won't work when you try to launch the program anyway.
Q) I also have a UT2004 multi CD pack, and there's a Maya 5 install. Is it any different?
A) Maybe. But it's unsupported too, and you have to get the password from the same site. Not sure if that one works too.
Q) I saw AutoDesk having new Maya PLE download, which should be supported. What if I would get that?
A) No go. The UnEditor.mll plugin doesn't work with other Maya versions than 4 or 5.
Q) But I've heard about something called ActorX that claims to be for later Maya versions!
A) Yeap. ActorX works for later Maya versions - but not PLE as they have a different way of managing plugins!

--3DS Max--
Q) In the ActorX page, I see there are versions for 3DS Max too. What if I get the trial version?
A) It would work. But it will only work for 30 days, and after that, you won't be able to do anything.
Q) But I want to map for longer! Do I have to buy Maya or 3DS Max then?
A) If you wish to use only them.
Q) But look at the prices!! $3,495 for 3DS Max!! $1,995 for Maya!! That's unholy! Why are the prices so high?! I just want to make some bloody Static meshes, that's all!
A) They are that high as Autodesk bought Alias, and they created 3DS Max. And they're the biggest 3D modelling software around. They have a monopoly and can ask for as much as they want.

--XSI--
Q) So there are no alternatives?!
A) Why, look closer to the ActorX page. You overlooked the last category for XSI.
Q) XSI? Never heard of.
A) And that's the best thing and that's why Autodesk didn't buy it - yet.
Q) Hey wait a min. XSI 7 is $2,995 - that's just as much!
A) Yeap. You overlooked something again. Look at their Personal 3D Products.
Q) What? Mod Tool? But it's not in the ActorX list and is only for Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express and Valve Half-Life 2!
A) Yes, Yes and No. Mod Tool isn't only for HL2, click on the link.
Q) Ooh, now I see "Epic Unreal Technology 3" inside. But I know I'm mapping for Unreal Engine 2, not 3!
A) Yes, but that doesn't matter, Static Meshes are all the same.
Q) Great, but how do I get an ASE file from that?
A) ActorX is not only for XSI - ModTool is essentially XSI 6.5.
Q) Yay! That's it? It's free and I can use it for making my Static Meshes?
A) Almost. There are a few limitations: http://www.softimage.com/products/modtool/limitations.aspx But even something as complicated as the snakes in DM-1on1-Serpentine has only 2300 triangles - miles away from 64000 limit. And you won't use the other tools anyway, that's what you have UnrealEd for.

--Mod Tool--
Q) Woah that's a huge file there!
A) Yea, but you want the meshes or not? You will only have to download it once.
Q) OK, I got it, installed, and now it asks me to update, and then hangs.
A) Don't update, you can do this manually from SoftImage site.
Q) Now I ended up in a window with a grid. Looks like UnrealEd, but at the same time very different.
A) Yes. Open the netview window you just minimised (or closed) and click on "Getting Started With Mod Tool". Look and listen to the tutorials. If you don't want to animate, don't look at Animation tutorials.
Q) Got it, but what's with the sound? It seems I'm talking to some Xan Kriegor or something.
A) Yea, you'll get used to it. Just try and understand what he tells you.
Q) OK, now I know how to move around. That's very strange by the way. Anything to make it closer to UnrealEd?
A) When you enter, click the button at the top right of your viewport and you'll get an (almost) standard UEd viewport setting.
Q) Hey, they messed up with viewport numbering.
A) Yeap, click on Front at the lower left, click User, click on User at the top right and select Front.
Q) What about the Movement tool? What's with me having to use the middle button instead of left to zoom in?
A) You should be able to configure it somewhere. Didn't figure out this yet.
Q) And how do I save this config?
A) No idea yet.
Q) OK, I made some cube and cone, how do I export this?
A) Read this: http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorXXSITutorial.html
Q) Hey, the ActorX_XSI65_beta2_32bit.zip file contains no .ADDON files!
A) You're right. You have to install the older version, ActorX.05012006.zip.
Q) OK, did it, is the newer version broken?
A) No. Get the newer DLL, rename it to ActorX.dll, open ModTool's File -> Addon -> Package Location... and look at the Input -> Source field. Find the folder that is listed here, and replace the old ActorX.dll with the new one.
Q) I tried this with the 64bit one (by PC is 64bit), but it won't work, talks about version mismatches.
A) Yeap, use the 32bit one as there is no 64bit ModTool.
Q) How do I get the GUI again?
A) Click on the scroll icon at the lower left corner of the screen, enter ActorX() there, and then click on the Run button there.
Q) I closed ActorX GUI one time, and now it won't open again!
A) A bug. Close Mod Tool or use the Export ASE link (see question What's the Export ASE then?).
Q) Do I have to do the strange script thing each time I want to open ActorX?
A) Nope. You get the same by going to File->Export->ActorX.
Q) What's the Export ASE then? I need exactly this file?
A) That's the same as you get by going to ActorX and clicking export Static Mesh. The Export ASE is the faster way of doing this once you set the ActorX options.
Q) I did it! I have it in UnrealEd! But when I add the StaticMeshActor, I don't see it!
A) ActorX converts ModTool's own units to UnrealUnits, so your cone by default has 1UU radius. It's just small, change the DrawScale to 100 and you'll see it.
Q) Is 1 ModTool unit exactly the same as 1 UU?
A) Not really. For example, 1024 ModTool units are 950 UUs.
Q) Thanks! This ModTool is great!
A) No problem. Tell others about this guide to help them make static meshes too!

Last edited: