UE3 - UT3 Invert - Flip Gravity at will - 1 file mod

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
Interesting, it seems a bit weird how you seem to respawn on the flipped surface, almost like you were teleported to an upsidedown version of the same level. It is definately a good idea with alot of potential. If you could find a way to code it as if the view rotated upsidedown instead of teleporting it would look way better in my personal opinion.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

CrysAk

Mar 12, 2006
Interesting, it seems a bit weird how you seem to respawn on the flipped surface, almost like you were teleported to an upsidedown version of the same level.

as its all done in kismet with no code, i had to bodge it some how :p and your half way there as to0 how its made, just open it up in UEd for the kismet if you wana find out how it works

Lungri

Jun 10, 2008
It was neat in Prey but so limited, when that game came out I never heard anyone mention Serious Sam 2, which did it way better, where whole areas just have their own individual gravity at times, like a fight on the inner wall of a cylinder that rotates while big melee enemies charge at you. Or platforms you could run off the edge of, and slingshot around the corner before the wall's gravity grabs you. Really Escher-like environments, instead of glowing strips of gravity that you can't move off of.

This UT3 deal is neat though...didn't know you could do that with Kismet, too bad it doesn't have a smooth transition, but still a neat trick.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrysAk

Mar 12, 2006
This UT3 deal is neat though...didn't know you could do that with Kismet, too bad it doesn't have a smooth transition. Can one remove control of it from the player and make it something activated by triggers?

Yes it can be trigged by anything.. timer/event ... thats actually a really neat idea lol, so i think i shall steal that if you dont mind ;)

unfortunatly a smooth transition isnt doable in kismet (atleast not this way of doing it)

may the feature should be implemented slowly, first with control taken away from the player and only having it used at specific points, another timed, and later on the player gets more powerfull with the ability to use it at will... similar kinda progression to portal i guess

Last edited:

Lungri

Jun 10, 2008
Yea, the instant flip works fine too...is there a way to change it so that it only turns 90 degrees too? You could create all kinds of weird areas, especially for a single player campaign with that....too bad UT3 doesn't have multi-surface gravity...you could make spherical levels.

CrysAk

Mar 12, 2006
some other poep[l have also suggested 90* and although possible its more than 3 times the ammount of work, thats without geting it to work ite h first place lol.

it probably is possible and i think i could make it, but not only will that be even more of a head**** for ppl to work out how to complete a level, designing the thing would be a nightmare too haha

maybe ill try implementing that very late into the game just for ****s n giggles :p

CrysAk

Mar 12, 2006
Neat idea, but the Kismet approach makes it a bitch to set this up for a bigger level. It is easier just building the room again next to it, but flipped upside down, and just teleporting the player there...

that was the original idea but i couldnt find a way to teleport the player to the correct location facing the right way, as theres no way to attach an object and invert the input given to it..

however saying that im guessing you took at look at my kismet in which case i will be making some refinements.. instead of having the pivot in the center of the room to rotate, i will be puting outside of the room .. in effect having 2 rooms like you suggested