Weapon switch speed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
So I've never really paid attention to any threads on this so go ahead and point me to one, if I missed it.

Why is it that weapons switching is so slow in UT3? Is it for gameplay reasons or is it a way of balancing things?

I must say that I'm finding hard to get used to the extremely slow switch speed.
Feels slower to me, than switching weapons in CoD4 for instance.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Yeah, it seemed to me as though it was slower on some. Hard for me to tell because I use hidden weapons.

Add that to my questions too then :p Why is the weapon switching time different from weapon to weapon?

That sig is so in your face :lol:

Rujman

Mar 20, 2008
The slow switch is one of many things that makes this just not as fun as UT2004 :(

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
UT1 has same weapon switch speed from Unreal - people bitch

UT2003 speeds up weapon switch speed from UT1 - people bitch

UT2004 slows down weapon switch speed from UT2K3 - people bitch

UT3 tries to make it the same as UT1 - guess what???

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It depends on what you are firing, or rather how long what you are firing takes to reload.

For example, if you are not shooting and switch between (most of) your weapons, it switches pretty quickly. However, if you fire, it waits until the weapon has reloaded before it switches.

It's mostly for balance.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Indeed. In UT2003 and UT2004 it was very easy to do Lightning -> Shock -> Lightning in about a second or so, and the "slower" switching is meant to counter that effect by making it more about having the right weapon out for the right situation (Which it really should be.)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
But it also really effs with weapon combos and potentially cool frags. There is no more bouncing someone with rockets/flak and then picking them off with sniper in midair. It doesn't work anymore because the switch is too slow. You pick a weapon and spam it until the other guy's dead.

While UT2003 was definitely way too fast, UT2004's speed is good (IMO) because while you are penalized a bit for switching mid-battle -- the switch takes longer than most weapons' fire rate -- it's not an annoyingly long delay that leaves you completely vulnerable. UT2004's overall balance had issues, though, so it makes the switch speed seem messed up too.

Apr 11, 2006
It could stand to be a little shorter, especially in Warfare. The gameplay there is pretty damn chaotic, with the potential to be run over by a stealth vehicle at any moment. Kind of frustrating not to be able to adapt to and at least try to put up a fight against incoming foes.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
But it also really effs with weapon combos and potentially cool frags. There is no more bouncing someone with rockets/flak and then picking them off with sniper in midair. It doesn't work anymore because the switch is too slow. You pick a weapon and spam it until the other guy's dead.

That's not a bad thing.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
It's a lot less fun.

Edit:

Feels slower to me, than switching weapons in CoD4 for instance.
Pretty sure it is in the main instance of switching to/from your sidearm. Going between two primary weapons may be slower. It's been so long since I played UT3 that I don't recall exactly how slow the switching is.

Going by frag rate, CoD4's faster-paced than UT3, so I guess it fits. :p

Last edited:

akstylish

Keyboard Crasha
Jan 22, 2008
UT1 has same weapon switch speed from Unreal - people bitch

UT2003 speeds up weapon switch speed from UT1 - people bitch

UT2004 slows down weapon switch speed from UT2K3 - people bitch

UT3 tries to make it the same as UT1 - guess what???

I think that describes BUF pretty well. :(

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
I don't have a problem with it. It's part of adaptation and strategy. "Do I have time to switch to a better weapon or should I just take my chances with the sniper in a point blank melee?"

Rujman

Mar 20, 2008
UT's a fast FPS, it's not about mapping out your next hour's worth of strategy. As a fast FPS, circumstances change on a dime and players should be able to switch appropriately quickly. Sticking to one weapon forces spamfests. I see people firing rocket after rocket on UT3 servers much more than on UT2004 servers because if they try to switch, they'll be a sitting duck for like 3 seconds.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Meh. You can't directly compare them. UT3's rockets are more powerful and travel faster, and the lack of a dodge-jump makes them that much harder to dodge (and ends up making them overpowered). UT2004's are slower, less powerful, and much easier to avoid, so it's wise to not rely on them. The result is UT3 is a rocket spam fest while UT2004 is a pew-pew fest.