PDA

View Full Version : Insite Shuts Down

hal
11th Aug 2008, 04:28 PM
After almost six years and 1000+ reviews, Insite (http://insite.beyondunreal.com) has shut its doors... at least pending the next Unreal-related game. We'd like to thank everyone over the years who has given their time to Insite and to all that dropped by to read their thoughtful reviews. The reviews will remain in place, but the review-queue is now closed.

RennyManJr
11th Aug 2008, 04:38 PM
:eek:

elmuerte
11th Aug 2008, 04:40 PM
http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/images/smilies/violin.gif

UBerserker
11th Aug 2008, 04:43 PM
Damn :shake:

Slainchild
11th Aug 2008, 04:45 PM
:(

Luv_Studd
11th Aug 2008, 05:01 PM

Was nice to read the reviews over there; I felt they were more right than most sites.

NeoNite
11th Aug 2008, 05:19 PM
Pity seeing this reviewing site closing its doors. I really hope any future UT game can revive it. Insite was another good source for quality UT maps.

Synastren
11th Aug 2008, 05:23 PM
So, I quit paying attention to the UT community, and now there are no map review sites anymore? Is NC still around, at least?

Enfluence
11th Aug 2008, 05:26 PM
Who's insite?

Manticore
11th Aug 2008, 05:26 PM
Bummer.

Thanks to the Insite guys for a great resource. It would be great to see it back in the future; as well as NC.

This whole UT community site thing is getting a bit worrying. What's left?

Mapraider?

Synastren
11th Aug 2008, 05:30 PM
What happened to the thriving community I remember a few years ago?
You know, when I could make a DavidM joke and people would understand? :cry:
Now I see these map review sites going under, and general interest in UT3 is plummeting...

I think that we can only blame CliffyB. Because we're not supposed to call him CliffyB anymore. Jerk.

Selerox
11th Aug 2008, 05:34 PM
Despite not really being part of the UT scene any more, it sucks to see a site like Insite go down, they did a lot of good over the years.

UT3 claims another victim I guess :(

QAPete
11th Aug 2008, 05:35 PM
I'd like to thank the folks from Insite for being a part of BeyondUnreal for such a long time. From lophead on through the current staff, they have always tried their best to provide quality map reviews for the Unreal community. They helped introduce countless players to high-quality maps for over six years, maps that could have easily gone unnoticed.

I echo the current Insite team's dissatisfaction with UT, starting with the 2003/2004 releases, and the lack of quality fun in the current version is beyond my capability to describe adequately. I'm amazed people bother playing it at all.

As for UT community sites, as the fun-factor of the game decreases and Epic's focus becomes more and more on the console, you'll see more community sites disappear. We're really dinosaurs here, us PC gamers, and I don't believe there will be any turning back any time soon.

UT99 forever, my friends! :2thumb:

Sk.7
11th Aug 2008, 05:41 PM
The Unreal community is getting smaller at a very fastening rate. I only fear that most of the cake was already eaten and we'll be done in the upcoming 10 years, but what will take over the crater that'll be left behind this meltdown? :(

Best of luck that something will fix this, but what or who will if not us?

Unregistered
11th Aug 2008, 05:41 PM
Oh man, I used to remember checking Insite every week to find new (UT99) CTF maps to download and play on the LAN with my friends.

The best one I found was an insta-gib WW2 style ctf map, If I remember it had a bridge in the middle with a tower in the corner at each end where you could double jump from to get across half the battlefield

Good times, good times

Long live UT99, Long live Insite, Long live BEYOND UNREAL

TheSpoonDog
11th Aug 2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the reviews, insite guys :)

Seriously though, if people don't know about Mapraider already, they should (http://www.mapraider.com)! Very good system and the guy behind it is very helpful, top dude!

Defeat
11th Aug 2008, 06:06 PM
sadface :[

Nathillien
11th Aug 2008, 06:41 PM
So, there's not one left.

Nali - gone
UnrealPlayground - gone
Insite - gone

Just to name the biggest.

matariel
11th Aug 2008, 06:52 PM
BuF - A crash under the belt and still kicking ;)

SkaarjMaster
11th Aug 2008, 07:07 PM
Even though I'm not an active reviewer anymore, I'd like to thank everyone for their support of Insite over the years. It was fun and I've tried to put in my two cents after leaving by map review comments, general comments and scores behind the scenes and not. Only time will tell what happens, but if UT3 makes a brief comeback then I believe Insite might as well. Don't forget about our section of the BU forums. And, yes, the original UT is still my favorite. Thanks again.:)

SlayerDragon
11th Aug 2008, 07:23 PM

I just bought it on Steam again on Saturday. Funny ol' world, innit?

toniglandyl
11th Aug 2008, 07:55 PM
at least BU is still here. I wonder what it would be to not have BU...

GTD-Carthage
11th Aug 2008, 08:11 PM
I'm little by little getting used to seeing bad news everyday. :(

There's basically no place to get a proper map review now - or any map download for that matter. Mapraider's got an active database but the last time I checked, Unreal-related maps were far and wide between submission dates - we used to have a map gold rush before.

Lord_Simeon
11th Aug 2008, 08:35 PM
Well done guys for all the years of reviewing, you all did a fantastic job, well written, deserving scores and a great site layout.
It was definately one of the best UT related review sites on the net, and my hat goes off to you all.

Kantham
11th Aug 2008, 08:38 PM
Is NC still around, at least?

No. The forums are the best way to get them I concur.

QAPete
11th Aug 2008, 09:02 PM
at least BU is still here. I wonder what it would be to not have BU...

We're all going to find out one day. My guess is that life will go on.

Kantham
11th Aug 2008, 09:29 PM
We're all going to find out one day. My guess is that life will go on.

As long as people are supporting it, correct? There's still a lot of active members over the off topic sections and the rest. EDIT: I start to feel ready to make a donation if that ever could help out, I am probably the most active forum member, I really don't want to see BU left to rest, that would be...

TERRIBLE. D:

ruki
11th Aug 2008, 09:41 PM
This is unfortunate, certainly one of my top review sites. :/

clark_kent
11th Aug 2008, 09:54 PM
Having been on the InSite staff for a while back in the UT2k3-UT2k4 days this is truly sad for me. When I met HomeSlice about 6 months ago he warned me this could be a possibility. I did what I could to assist new mappers with their works but if people ain't playing UT3 all the maps in the world won't help.

QAPete, Skaarj, Lord_Simeon, PASHKO, TheSpoonDog, GUI, Rainman and of course HomeSlice, whom I have met in person, are some of the most dedicated peeps you will find. We served a great community for years and I hope one day to serve again. Geez Pete how long ago was it that we used to run ExcessiveUT on the MotherShip? 10 years ago maybe? It's rare to get that much fun for so long from a PC game. Thank you EPIC.

But like QAPete, my clan just didn't feel UT3 at all. I am really disappointed but hold out hope that UT will rise again...

Brits_Hit
11th Aug 2008, 09:58 PM
Sucks, guys... thanks for all the reviews and helping support what is left of the Unreal community.

IceCreamYou
11th Aug 2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the support guys. I only joined the Insite review team a year ago, and was really looking forward to a boost from UT3--but it didn't happen, and real life takes over when there's not enough interest.

Thanks to our readers, and especially all the other Insite and BU staff that have helped out over the years.

UnrealGrrl
11th Aug 2008, 10:40 PM
Thank you Insite! sorry to seeya go :(

wow it seems like yesterday i was slamming PlanetUnreal for not maintaining the NC map download links... time do truly fly.

xMurphyx
11th Aug 2008, 11:16 PM
Those were informative and fair reviews. I'm sad to see it go.

MeanyMortal
12th Aug 2008, 02:43 AM
It is a sad day today. I used to read Insite reviews just for fun, even though I knew beforehand I wouldn't download the map. :(

TheIronKnuckle
12th Aug 2008, 04:25 AM
Unreal playground died?!? WTF....

Insite was great, damn ut3......

madspacemarinemustdie
12th Aug 2008, 04:30 AM
This is getting scary. Will Beyond Unreal shut down in the near future?

elmuerte
12th Aug 2008, 04:45 AM
This is getting scary. Will Beyond Unreal shut down in the near future?

nah.. it will just move beyond unreal

Unregistered
12th Aug 2008, 04:49 AM
Man knows what he talks!

dub
12th Aug 2008, 04:53 AM
Unreal playground died?!? WTF...
What the ****! When did this happen!? That really sucks.
[edit] oh wait at least the forums are still up

Tweakd
12th Aug 2008, 04:55 AM

Thanks Insite. It was fun for those years.

Slainchild
12th Aug 2008, 05:11 AM
What the ****! When did this happen!? That really sucks.
[edit] oh wait at least the forums are still up

No, maps are still hosted there, links on the left (Downloads, UT, UT2, UT3). The whole site seems to run on the forum software though.

Lruce Bee
12th Aug 2008, 05:21 AM
Insite was a great site in it's heyday and I've had a couple of maps reviewed over there years ago by Thunderstrike - really top notch reviews and very informative.
I didn't realise that UnrealPlayground had also closed it's doors and that's very sad also because I did a couple of reviews myself there at the height of my mapping period when I was really into the whole Unreal thing.
Let's not forget that other great Unreal site UnrealOps that closed it's doors a while back.
Drop by Nali City now (once the all powerful, all conquering reviewing community site)and you will see the tumbleweed blowing across the forums - very sad.
The biggest hit was when CliffyB stopped doing the Ownage awards.
Kinda lost interest after that.
UT3 was never going to haul the game out of the doldrums unfortunately.
Beyond Unreal is the only really active Unreal related site I visit but I do wonder how long it will be before we see this site resigned to distant memory.

Now I want to get drunk

Lruce

ArcadiaVincennes
12th Aug 2008, 06:28 AM
When I was just starting out with Level Design I would read every new map review that popped up on insite so I could learn what to do, and what not to do. When I finally released maps, I was fortunate enough to be reviewed there.

I know the people at insite over the years have put in a huge amount of time into helping other people and the community in general.

Thank you to each and every one of you. I appreciate your hard work.

-AV

UBerserker
12th Aug 2008, 08:06 AM

And it will be always like this :tup:

elmuerte
12th Aug 2008, 08:34 AM
Unreal Forever

JaFO
12th Aug 2008, 11:40 AM
nah.. it will just move beyond unreal

it already has ... or haven't you read the front page of this site lately ? ;)

// ---
As long as the reviews and downloads are active there's life.

Skincity probably is one of the few sites for user-created content that still can be considered 'active' ...

nELsOn
12th Aug 2008, 12:29 PM
wow, this is really sad :(
i always loved insite (especially for that random pic in the corner that pointed me to a whole lot of very cool maps!) and imo this is a huge loss for the community.
it really seems like the times of arena-type shooters are coming to an end. after all it's not only a lot of unreal-related sites that closed down more or less recently. it's also a whole lot of quake-related ones that are now pointing towards weird search sites or simple 404s :(

i sure hope the next UT will follow the UT2003 -> UT2004 pattern and breathe some new life into this all.

NeoNite
12th Aug 2008, 01:19 PM

You betcha.

Or at least for many, many more years to come.

Yeah, I'm glad mapraider is still up and kicking. it.

elmuerte
12th Aug 2008, 01:45 PM
it already has ... or haven't you read the front page of this site lately ? ;)
I know it has. But otherwise the pun wouldn't work.

milb
12th Aug 2008, 04:17 PM
uhm...UP is gone? Since, when?

Zur
12th Aug 2008, 05:41 PM
Unreal Forever

I hope that doesn't turn out the same way Amiga Forever did.

That's sad to hear. Despite the ping UnrealPlayground's servers were one of the few that were really impressive. I mean having upwards of 14 players on a CTF map is a totally different experience. I do know they relied on donations to keep the servers up though. Seeing the new generation of selfish UT players I'm not surprised this sort of approach hit a brick wall.

Nathillien
12th Aug 2008, 07:47 PM

They are gone in a sense that they don't review maps, even the old reviews could not be found anymore :(. Forums are still running (don't know about the servers though) and maps can still be downloaded from there.
But (I'm guessing here) in time, UP could evolve into something bigger (let’s hope) because if you open their page you can see the "beta" tag along the name.
I see two possibilities happening here:
1. This is really a beta and in time we will se a fully functional UP again (nice).
2. This tag lays here who knows how long and they simply forgot to remove it (auch that would be sad)

Homeslice
12th Aug 2008, 11:18 PM
Wow, overwhelming support for us all around.

I just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all of you for sticking with us for the past 6 1/2 years that Insite was around, and for at least attempting to read my not-so-clear reviews for the last 5 years that I was around. I've seen many members come and go, but without them all, Insite wouldn't have gone as long as it did. But I was one of, I'm sure, many who hoped great things from UT3 and found myself utterly disappointed for lack of a better term. Seeing all these great communities die out make me real sad. I just hope that we don't all officially lose all hope and waste away from this. It's been fun for such a long time and I am glad I was able to be a part of it. Thanks to all.

MeanyMortal
13th Aug 2008, 01:35 AM
UP is alive yet, but they don't review maps any longer. They haven't done so for the last two years or so if I remember correctly. There aren't as many people there as there used to be either, and few seem willing to join. Those of us still there however seem determined to stay. Maps are still being uploaded and donations keep rolling in at a steady pace.

Taleweaver
13th Aug 2008, 03:07 AM
:eek:

Insite is gone? But...but...

:( :( :(

*sigh*

I wrote a couple reviews as well, back in the good ol' days. I felt - and still feel - that the long, hard, voluntary work of the mappers is usually taken far too much taken for granted. My way to show that appreciation was by a well-written yet honest review. Insite was by far the best map review site I've ever seen (not that the list is that huge, but you get the idea). Very sad to see it go...but I have to admit you guys did a terrific job. :tup:

cooloola
13th Aug 2008, 03:07 AM
Well I've felt this coming for a while now, UT3 was a disappointment, and even more dissapointing is the lack of good community maps, there's very little joy in reviewing ****ty maps unless you're sadistic. Well hopefully once more people start releasing some good maps interest in UT3 Insite will open its doors again, but even that seems like an unlikely possibility.

DarkSonny
13th Aug 2008, 04:14 AM
Very bad and sad new I dont want imagine what people ( newcomers, older players and so on ut community players) will think only reading that terrible new...Is the best site for reading great reviews ( good job anyway guys)

Well I've felt this coming for a while now, UT3 was a disappointment, and even more dissapointing is the lack of good community maps...

if there is not good community maps perphards that would be the huge learning curve using the current Unreal Editor, more details, more time for create an decent map ( if this isn't so good as those made by pros), and another things related with map creation? The only exception is the HOLP pack those are maps with an style ut99 hardcore with no enough details.

Cooloola you could create that kind of maps (holp pack for example..) dunno im not a mapper but it seems that it don't need too perfection and detail for make a good an fun map.

I think this kind of things ( shut down a site like Insite ) would be due ut3 though a playable game is very incomplete and most related servers browser. Im keeping my faith in Epic in fixing slowly that incomplete game... for me that is the only fail and is recognized by Epic long time ago and I only stay in waiting to finish this game and time will see.

Good lucky with the insite team I hope you come back with that great reviews I will miss you a lot!

[VaLkyR]Anubis
13th Aug 2008, 04:25 AM
Oh hell no!!!:(

I liked Insite!

Plumb_Drumb
13th Aug 2008, 04:39 AM
Anubis;2170328']Oh hell no!!!:(

I liked Insite!

me too dude

They sucked :(
________
CherryBabe cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/CherryBabe)

Cursed_Soul
13th Aug 2008, 08:04 AM
To bad..

Nalicity, Insite..
It seems the ut community is changing..
It reminds me of my old naburhood...
The buildings are redone, the park had a makeover,
only elderly people now live there..

Things change, even online.
And thats good, as long as something better comes out of it...
But will we ever see something like nalicity and insite again?
Almost every email I got for a job, came trough beyond/nali/insite..
They noticed my maps, and contacted me after visiting my website that was in the readme...

I think they have done a big deal for the community..
I just hope that somewhere in the future, when my arms are fixed.. I can map again and upload them to a website like nalicity or insite.

big hug for everyone @ insite and nalicity :)

The_Head
13th Aug 2008, 08:18 AM
Guess we all just need to hope the UT3 modding community gets the kick up the ass it needs and sites like Insite return. Was my favourite map review site and have had a map or two reviewed there myself.

virgo47
13th Aug 2008, 08:54 AM
I want to thank our readers and my co-insiters. ;-) I'm not sure if it's good to be there when something ends, but sometimes some things end... or maybe are just paused. :-) It was a nice ride while it lasted and two special thanks go to two names that inspired me the most before they even knew me: Taleweaver ("precious metal dragon"... always liked your reviews + still remember our duels ;-)) & T2A who accepted me as an Insite reviewer.

I'll be there when we resurrect... I wish.

Homeslice
13th Aug 2008, 10:27 AM
They sucked :(

...say that again?